8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 100)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay,
Who released that print of Kong that you have?
Is this a complete print in 8mm?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 01:53 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, the seller maintains that it is an original Mountain Films release. I have the film on six 400' reels, each reel has original heads and tails. It also appears uncut; we saw the H certificate, Kong ate a lot of people and dinosaurs (hard to watch), and the duration was around that specified by IMDB.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mountain release does not have the entire censored scenes in them. I believe the closeups of people in Kong's mouth are missing.The Nostalgia Merchant print has them but is substandard to Mountain's release.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Thanks Larry. Honestly, the scenes of Kong eating people were a bit too much for me. I mean, there were just too many scenes of Kong eating people and dinosaurs. A scene here and there would have been okay but this was too much. My opinion, that's it. My wife thinks this is one of our better prints and am very happy with what I have.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 12, 2012 03:35 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify the dupe print thing,I think I can safely say that every print out there the majority are dupe prints, that is taken
from a positive source as in a lot of cases the negatives have been
neglected or are totally damaged beyond repair and so the best
option would be to search out a good positive source and use that.
All the old CASTLE shorts and U/8s would be taken from positive
sources and their b/w releases were outstanding as were the
Columbia b/ws,it's just a shame someone hadn't taken something blunt and heavy to that bloody narrator.The print
of MOUNTAINS "KING KONG" was I believe taken from a new
35mm source and was the same print shown to Ray
Harryhausen and Forry Ackerman when they had a special
showing for them some years back.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 04:36 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, that's interesting trivia! How do people on the forum know this kind of stuff? All this seems like inside information to me.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 12:47 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Akshay, Why do you think Kong eating people and Dinos are so bad and you seem to think it is to much? I have seen way more terrible things in other movies like Jurassic Park, Aliens,and other monster movies. But personelly I liked SON OF KONG even with all its camp. I own the feature and I'm proud of it!  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 01:52 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, when you frame the question like that, Kong eating folks does seem innocuous. Here are some thoughts:

1. My memories of black-and-white films are rather pure. You see, the movies of Buster Keaton, Chaplin, Capra, Hitchcock are all rather classic in their approach. Even the horror titles Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari are polished. King Kong seemed to me more raw. (Let's say I was let down)
2. So, I started King Kong expecting a classical treatment. It turned out raw, very violent. So, the film surprised me! I love stereotypes being broken! (Let's now say I was impressed)
3. I like your comparison to Jurassic Park. It's true that dinosaurs eat each other, but there is only one scene where the T-Rex eats a human. Even that scene has a hint of comedy when a man relieving himself on the pot is swallowed by a T-Rex. So, I feel there is a difference.
4. Now consider Peter Jackson's King Kong where Kong is more like a dog wanting to be his master (mistress maybe since it's Naomi). There is a sorrow when Kong falls from the Empire State Builing in Peter Jackson's version. There is no such sorrow for Kong in the 1933 version.

Perhaps the film's intent was to stir a repulsion and if so I did feel it. It was horrifying. Whatever it was, I liked the movie. What more, my wife loved it and it's a huge relief considering what I paid for it!

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 08:51 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last nights films were T&J in Johann Mouse and The Little Orphan followed by the P.M release The Waterbabies 600ft,Hello Dolly 600ft cutdown (which i've made myself out of parts of the feature)colour/stereo/scope which looks lovely! trailers to Super 8 and The Prince Who was a Thief! Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 11:53 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay no that is not true many people were eaten by the dinos like SL Jackson etc workers the fat guy etc. But in all the park movies dinos were eating people. Kong was only doing what he does as a animal. Plus he was mad they had taken the girl, the puny humans an the tribe . What about in Jaws or any other Monster movies Godzilla,Rodan,etc? And even old black & White movies like Chaplin made that were very violent but people think are funny. People laugh at people getting hurt.
D.W. Griffith had violence in his films like INTOLORANCE. Then there is old B/W Indian films made in India were you see bloody battles very violent with elephants crushing men to death. The film censors won't even let these films even play in the west.India has always led the world in the number of films they make. There are many other examples of this . I'm sure that Ray Harryhausen could give you better examples of this . Because Kong is his favourite film and he loves it with a passion I do to . I lived in London for 20 years or more and would go visit him all the time. We would discuss movies and everything. He is a dear old friend I have know him for over 40 years now. Here is a picture of a oil painting I did for him and his models. And here is a picture of me and Ray , and a model of a chariot and horses I sculpted to show him.  -

[ February 13, 2012, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 12:16 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you are right, Laksmi. We have seen it several times. Perhaps we over-reacted.

You mention films from India, do you have any on film in your collection?

On another note, I did send you the e-mail again.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 13, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indias notorious for it's protection of it's image around the world, when it comes to film-makers going there to film.

When Speilberg was making "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", he had his people bargaining and bargaining to shoot in India, and the indian authorities were coming up with objection after objection, wanting to rewrite the script, ect. The straw that broke Speilbergs proverbial "back" was when the Indianj authorities were demanding that Speilberg couldn't say the name of India's ruler in thier film ...

So they shot in Sri Lanka instead, (which looks nearly Identical to India), and India now had absolutely no say as to how they were made to look in the film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you are right. My father keeps reminding us of that incident whenever Spielberg's name pops up in our discussion. What surprises me is that most of the acting cast seems to be from India. At least, there's Roshan Seth, and then Amrish Puri (on whose demise Spielberg called Puri his best villain) beckoning Kaali Maa

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay feels that way, and that's fine. That's the intent of Kong.

King Kong is a monster movie. People hit the box office in 1933 to be terrorized.
It's "eighth wonder of the world," and Willis O' Brien hit the target, just as in The Lost World.

Here is an excellent film book: 50 Classic Motion Pictures.
Movie buffs should get their hands on it.
Kong is listed in Chapter VI as monsters, along with Frankenstein and Dracula.

Now a days, audiences are subjected to gross and unneeded violence that has
instilled numbness and insensitivity.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 13, 2012 06:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have King Kong (1933) full feature that I have told my sons (5 and 7) to watch together when I have time.

Now I am getting worried that I made a wrong plan. My wife is so protective when going to show movies for kids.

So do you guys think it is OK to show this Kong to my sons?

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, you can always watch it and then decide for yourself.

Here's where Laksmi's comparison to the PG-13 Jurassic Park may come handy. King Kong has similar scenes. Have your kids seen Jurassic Park?

I don't know how this will reflect on my upbringing but we watched action films growing up. Only the sex scenes were played fast-forward. Don't know what I will do when I have kids. Sell my films? [Frown]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 09:31 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every kid is different.

Our nephew was 6 when he saw Kong on DVD, and mostly the
action scenes.

He became interested by seeing the DVD box on the shelf.

Out of the boxed set, Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young are his favorites.
Kong no longer, because Kong dies in the end.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2012 12:40 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been away for too long, and I love this Kong thread, as I agree that every kid is different. I started watching horror movies at a very early age and I think I was given the proper context on things like King Kong about what is real and what is make believe, and everything you watch on a screen is make believe, so none of it ever scared me, but my sister was always terrified by those same movies...2 kids, same upbringing, same information, and 2 different reactions to scary movies...

Oh and Laksmi, sorry I did not answer you, but the key is really just take enough pics so you will guarantee some will be in focus, since you are dealing with images that are moving, so most will be blurry.

So finally getting myself back to business and watching some movies. Tonight was a feature and a short. First was a silent short on standard 8mm entitled MAD DANCER (1925, 400 ft Blackhawk)starring dancer Ann Pennington. This one was a Killiam collaboration and had a mixture of Blackhawk historical titles, with the original Burton King titles, with an unusual moral opinionated Killiam title inserted near the end..This was followed by a 16mm western from Republic. A very family oriented title from their Rough Ridin Kids series called THE DAKOTA KID (1951, 2 x 1600ft) where the bad guy gets a conscience and turns his life around.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2012 12:00 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Thanks Dino, That's what I do take many pics because they are moving and will blur.But I just thought there was some special technique to get really focus ones. I guess everyone likes my screen shots they tell me all the time so I must be doing something right. But you can all ways do better. Your screen shots look good is that a nude dancer in MAD DANCER? Welcome back I guess I will watch a few Super 8mm movies tonight see ya!

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2012 01:22 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi
haha, no not an actual nude dancer, it is a sculpture of the dancer in the nude which causes the scandal in the film.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2012 01:23 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very excited to play large reels on my ST-1200. But what feature did I pick? Blood Devils. What a way to start playing 800' reels. We had to watch it continuously with no reprieve. We just didn't like it. At least I got some pictures.

Now, I have Blood Devils on 600'+800' which was sold to me as a full feature. The sound is the best I've heard on my projector. The picture quality is superb too.

-

-

-

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 15, 2012 03:17 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay. I also have Blood Devils in colour and it was one of the best prints issued by Mountain.

Last night we had a 400ft evening which also included Going Bye Bye which was a very crisp print from Walton, World of Wax a interesting 1962 doc from Mountain Films and Spooky Wooky 1950 which I would say is the softest B&W print Derann ever put out although its a funny Leon Errol flick.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2012 04:16 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a friend over, he helped wire the amp. assy. on my ST-1200, to watch Way Out West. I have been looking forward to this because many feel this is actually funny. My wife enjoyed the feature start to finish.

I'm just getting used to watching films on 800' reels and it's fun; only issue is I don't feel like a projectionist without the several reel changes. [Big Grin]

-

-

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Akshay I feel the same. I don't feel like a projectionist without the several reel changes. All my SUPERMAN CARTOONS 1940s are on 200" reels so it is fun . I was watching a set of cartoons last couple of nights. I have a review that I posted.  -
 -

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2012 12:24 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, I did read the review. It's good. I had some of these on VHS while growing up.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC