8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA RESTORED

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA RESTORED
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 08:09 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Live Appearance by Kirk Douglas Introducing a New Restoration of
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) I was on hand to see the event.On Friday, April 13, at 2:45 p.m., Hollywood legend Kirk Douglas presented at Grauman's
Chinese Theatre for the first public screening of the newly restored 1954 adventure film epic,
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the first live-action feature film shot at Walt Disney's Burbank
studios. Disney recruited an A-list cast including Kirk Douglas, James Mason and Paul Lukas,
and a set budget of $9 million, the largest in Hollywood history at that time.

Walt Disney had originally planned to turn Jules Verne's tale of Captain Nemo's battle to wipe
out warfare into an animated feature. But when he saw designer Harper Goff's preliminary
sketches, he decided to make the switch to live action. To film the massive production - the
studio's first in CinemaScope - Disney added a water tank and a third soundstage to his
studio, rented additional space from 20th Century-Fox and Universal, and sent cast and crew
to the Caribbean for underwater shooting. His technicians also had to develop new equipment
for the film's many underwater scenes and create a giant, two-ton squid for the film's most
impressive sequence.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea went on to earn two Oscars®, one for the eye-popping visual
effects and one for John Meehan and Emile Kuri's art direction and set decoration. The film earned a third nomination for Elmo Williams' editing.
video http://youtu.be/3h5F-t1g8OU SUPER 8mm 200 foot reel box cover  -  -  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2012 09:30 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this going to be released into theaters nationwide? My wife loves this film.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 16, 2012 09:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this movie too...and Kirk Douglas singing "Whale of a Tale" [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 17, 2012 12:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now THIS is a film I wouldn't mind actually buying a copy of on Blu-ray! I have the two disc DVD version, (with the deleted footage, unused animation and such.

What i would love to see Disney (and such) com panies do, is do REALLY special releases. Give us the restored original film, then, if there is archival footage, "deleted scenes", restore that footage as well. With a film like this one, expanding it a little further certainly wouldn't displease the lover of the film!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2012 02:42 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi I think they said that the Blu-ray will be out after Christmas next year. I heard nothing about Disney planing a re-release?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2012 02:46 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had that 300 ft. Any body see it up for sale let me know? Maybe I will share some screen shots?

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 17, 2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember at one of Deranns' Blackpool Dinners,they had a rep
from the Disney Corp. as the guest speaker,because Derek had just clinched the deal with the Disney features.Many questions
were fired at this young lady from the audience and very few
answers given back,I myself wanted to know if a feature release
of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" would be a possibility on S/8, then I thought, this young lady can't give any
answers as she doesn't know.Luckily,the following year at Blackpool I nailed
an IB Tech copy on 16mm from John Morris Jones who used to
have some great titles on 16mm at reasonable prices,this wasn't one of them as it was expensive, but well worth it in the
end.There is also the full feature on S/8 and it's from Italy.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 17, 2012 03:34 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi

Great video. Wish I was there.

Thanks

PatD

John Doe
Junior

- posted July 03, 2012 08:24 AM      Profile for John Doe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi,has someone from Disney confirmed a Blu--ray for next year?If so...when they confirm it?During the presentation of a new restoration at Grauman's
Chinese Theatre?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 03, 2012 09:04 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John (Doe), welcome to the Forum.

Excuse me, as a welcome joke....Your name reminds me of someone.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

John Doe
Junior

- posted July 03, 2012 09:27 AM      Profile for John Doe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Winbert [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC