8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Just started using Filmguard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just started using Filmguard
Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2012 02:55 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys. After many years of using Derann film cleaner I've just swiched over to filmguard. It seems to be a light oil rather than a spirit that I was used to.

My quesion is, do you have any tips for applying it, eg does the excess need to be wiped off before projecting, does it reduce the effectiveness of tape splices (I'm constantly peeling off splices at the start and end and assembling the films onto bigger reels), how often should it be applied, does it reduce exising scratches.

Also, are there problems if you put too much on.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 17, 2012 03:12 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There shouldn't be any excess. It should be applied very sparingly. A little goes a long way.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 17, 2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

If you're looking for the best way to eliminate base scratches, you should pick up Roy Neil's Film O' Clean. FilmGuard by itself fills in some scratches (especially if you screen the print shortly after application), however the FilmGuard & Film O' Clean combination does a wonderful job of wet gate projection.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 04:16 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I use a lot with no problems . I take a cloth put on a nice healthy amount and then rewind the film I was just watching or film I want to clean. I never wipe it off and run it into the machine. I just put the film away in the case and usally the next time I show the film it seems to be all dry. Maybe it is the dryness in the room or air or something drys it. But if you get the film a little damp it is no big deal. So far I have had no trouble. And if the film is lubricated it will be run better with low noise and few to no scratches. I love Filmguard! . A long time ago I used to get films from RED FOX films on the east coast. They sold a furnisher polish that had lemon in it. Any body remember that ? It was the wonder stuff that took away and filled deep scratches on film.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 08:15 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Laksmi,we have or had a wax furniture polish over here called
Lemon Pledge,is that the one you're thinking of. Myself,I'm a bit
dubious of using stuff not specified for film, as there could be
additives that might harm the film base or stripe sound,so be
careful.You don't want to spoil that nice collection.Pure Beeswax
might help hiding scratches.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 11:27 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it had another name Hugh. It was pure something not your everyday polish it was from Red Fox films. I guess it was rare or I would have bought it local . I got it around the 1980. No I only use the Filmguard. I would never use untested stuff or let anything happen to my collection.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC