8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cataloging your collection (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cataloging your collection
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 11:43 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I agree Hugh not this Lad. My movies are all in my head and up right in boxes so my friends read the titles and they can pick. I must have countless VHS, dvds,Bluerays, Super 8mm films none of those are listed,but I know the
titles I've bought or have. I guess I have a brain like a computer. And I can see some in boxes or on my shelves. But Austin why do you want to know about cataloging ? You only have a few films and you are a young collector with little money and only toys to trade. Any you guys want to donate to Austin's collection with any films you can spare?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 12:46 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't possibly remember everything, and I think having a catalog is a great idea, because not only can you keep track of what you have but where and when you got it, how much you paid for it, when you use it, what condition it is in, when you repaired it, when you sold it on to someone else...I like to use Filemaker because it is easily modifiable to include what you want. If Austin started cataloging when he is beginning it will only be easier in the long run....I will say though that catalogs can also be detrimental, since i was cataloging my projectors as well until my wife said "YOU HAVE 38 PROJECTORS?" so I stopped cataloging them....That was almost 5 years ago. I don't want her to know how many I have now...

-

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 12:50 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive started getting color and sound. My collection is growing.
Austin(:

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 20, 2012 04:02 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's come to something when some folks need a computer to let
them know when they last watched something.By the time you
have finished with all the fine detail,tapping in film stock,directors
etc,it's time for bed.I think I would rather like Laksmi be watching
the film than doing all the pointless stuff,that's when it starts to
become a fixation.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 20, 2012 07:12 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My movies are all in my head and up right in boxes so my friends read the titles and they can pick. I must have countless VHS, dvds,Bluerays, Super 8mm films none of those are listed,but I know the titles I've bought or have. I guess I have a brain like a computer.
Laksmi, how are you sure that (if) you have either in your collection:

- Mouse Trouble, Mouse Comes to Dinner, Mouse For Sale, Mouse in the House, or Mouse Cleaning?

- or is the Mouse Trouble you have(or Mouse Comes to Dinner, Mouse For Sale, Mouse in the House, Mouse Cleaning) sound or silent?

- or is the Mouse Trouble you have(or Mouse Comes to Dinner, Mouse For Sale, Mouse in the House, Mouse Cleaning) perfect color, faded color or B/W?

- or is the Mouse Trouble you have(or Mouse Comes to Dinner, Mouse For Sale, Mouse in the House, Mouse Cleaning) from MGM, Walton, Film Office or Red Fox?

- or do I have Mouse Cleaning or Tom et Jerry font le ménage (which is actually the same film)

and..... the combination of the above confusion:

- or Do I have Mouse Trouble or Mouse Comes to Dinner, Mouse For Sale, Mouse in the House, Mouse Cleaning which is from MGM, Walton, Film Office or Red Fox, and does it have perfect Color, faded or B/W, and it is Sound or Silent, and .... a Ha... I found a new title "Tom et Jerry font le ménage" ?

It is waste our time to remember it and will be really helpful if we have the list.

--------------------
Winbert

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 07:15 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see how that can get very confusing [Razz]
Austin

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 20, 2012 07:20 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite simple Winbert, I don't know about Laksmi,I don't collect
that many cartoons.Problem solved,and anyway a notepad
solves that quite easily.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 07:47 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do collect a lot of shorts it is not a 'problem solved'. Are you saying that you just forget most of your collection exists to avoid cataloging/remembering them. You need an electronic database for that information, which solves the problem very easily.....or carry around a very big and heavy notepad around with you that cant be updated in a practical way.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 20, 2012 08:11 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,ever heard of alphabetical order.We are talking amateur
film collectors here, not the BFI.like I said,problem solved.Do you
list every book or dvd you own.Common sense dictates no,you
know what you've bought or should do.I've never bought the
same film or dvd twice by mistake,and no thanks to computers
or anything else.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2012 01:50 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I have a lot of Cartoons but I know what I have. I like Hugh have never bought a film in any media I allready have.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2012 03:16 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,
I am sorry that you find technology so threatening, as very comment from you in this thread seems to indicate.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 22, 2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,technology isn't so much threatening, as to be seen as
the be all of everything.Things do get done in this world without
a computer being involved,Indeed when a machine has to inform someone when was the last time they viewed a particular print
I think things are being taken a bit far.It's like personal organisers
that were all the rage,then some folk need organising,as coherent
thought,memory and the ability to think on ones feet seem old
fashioned.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC