8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Films a week& collecting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Films a week& collecting
Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a limit to how many films a week you will buy or a cash limit? Or do you just buy whatever looks cool?(: I know i have the collecting bug for films in the last month i think i have like 20 more reels. (no where near what most people have but its getting there!)
Austin(:

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 01:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin,

Like I did (and mostly us) you are now on the first phase of collection. In this phase, collectors will mostly buy anthing looks cool (excitement & anxiety).

Later, collectors will know and find out which are fit to their desire and will limit the purchase only to certain type of films.

Enjoy this first phase and your investment (for whatever you purchased now) will not get wasted, because another new collectors will come up and buy your films, should you want to focus on the genre, film format (reg 8mm vs super 8mm vs 16mm), film type (B/W vs Color vs faded), Sound format (optical vs magnetic vs silent), length format (full feature vs mini feature vs digest vs extract vs trailer vs short), etc, etc.

--------------------
Winbert

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Austin,
I don't have a limit on cash or number of films but I'm getting more and more choosy in what I buy. I have a 'hit list' of about 150 films I'm looking for but they crop up so rarely that I can go several months without buying anything.
The next month I might but 10 films in one go if a list comes out with lots of interesting stuff on. Sometimes it's stuff that's on my hit list and sometimes it's stuff I didn't know was on super 8. I justify it by telling myself I might never see it for sale again.
I tend to get withdrawal symptoms if I haven't bought a film for a while ...
Phil

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im constantly looking online (even if i have no money) [Big Grin]
Austin(:

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 19, 2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin, keep on Ebay.com and find for ex-library print. (ps: remember those libraries in the US used to have them in their collection).

Many of us here will say no to ex-library prints as this would have scratch. But for a first time collector, no harm to do that as they usually go very cheap.

Most of ex-library print will come from Blackhawk so there are usually good titles from Laurel & Hardy, Little Rascal/Our Gang, Chaplin, etc.

Set your Ebay account for saved search by putting library prints as the key words.

Good luck!

--------------------
Winbert

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2012 04:37 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think library prints are pretty cool you get to see when they were first checked out and how popular and also how many times. Plus they come with labels and running time. [Big Grin]
Austin(:

Joerg Wittgen
Junior

- posted June 19, 2012 11:52 PM      Profile for Joerg Wittgen   Email Joerg Wittgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One film a week?
For me,unthinkable,due to lack of cash.
Maybe a film every 3 months,which would be more realistic for me.
Complete versions of hundreds of euros are at the moment unthinkable and out of reach for me.
I collect first cut versions of Ufa, marketing, etc.
This is affordable for me at the moment.
And my wife loves me for it. [Smile]

--------------------
"Terrific, let's do it again" "Faster and more intense"

--George Lucas--

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 12:22 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin library prints are a great source for those with a limited budget....As for how many per week, I would say the more you collect the more you will reach the point of specificity...At the moment you want quantity, but at some point you will decide what it is you really want/enjoy watching more than once.. For some this is cartoons, for others a few expensive but high quality features, at that point it won't be how many per week, but feast or famine...Sometimes nothing will show up that you are looking for, and then multiple prints at the same time and you will have to decide which to go after....Just don't let yourself get in over your head.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 10:17 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would take the $ that you are spending on so many prints and buy a very good projector first. Doing things too quickly will lead to issues later on. Have you also bought Leader and a decent Splicer yet? Extra Reels and Cases?

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 12:20 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My GAF 3000 S Is on its way!(:
Austin(:

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 10:20 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly suggest that you splice leader onto a print before you watch it just in case. If the print doesn't thread, you simply replace the leader. If you don't do so, cross your fingers when feeding the film into the projector! Some projectors allow threading with the cover off.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 21, 2012 03:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound advice from Joe.Take notice Austin.

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2012 03:55 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note taken! Also whats the smallest size of film cleaner that they sell?
Austin(:

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC