8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Showing Films And Getting Paid For It! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Showing Films And Getting Paid For It!
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 04:14 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past April I wanted to show film at the nursing home were my Mother was recuperating from a bad pneumonia. She loved to watch films with me. I was hoping the other residents would enjoy them as well. I never got a chance to as she was not there very long. The pneumonia got worse and she went back into the hospital. I was with her every day until the end. She passed away six weeks ago, a week after her 66th birthday.

One thing that helped me during her illness was I watched a lot of film. In fact, I watched almost everything I have. It was comforting. Even now, it still is.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
So sorry to hear about your mother's passing. It's really tough to loose a family member so hang in there and I'll bet she's with you in spirit when you watch your films.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 08:18 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do occasional public shows of differing kinds and I find that the scarcity of film in the 'digital age' is making people more enthusiastic about seeing film projectors in use. E.g. feedback from a show last weekend included: "I loved seeing a really good movie presented in pre-digitial technology."

I don't charge fees, but some organisations have a policy of paying £25 or £30. I did a variety show using 8 and 16 for a charity last year and they unexpectedly gave me £30. I felt it would be ungracious to refuse to accept the cheque in such situations, as they realised that the show involved hours of work and they made over £400 at the event.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 08, 2012 04:00 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They call this progress?
I hear ya, Keith.
[Confused]

And...what if one of the audience felt in any way treated with less respect, because you showed them a film when a perfectly good and far superior version of that same title was available on DVD?

[Roll Eyes]

"Health and Safety" my backside!!!

On the topic, I've always thought I'd like to do this, but wouldn't there be copyright problems, as somebody mentioned above?

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I don't think there would be a problem with copyright as long as no money changes hands. The fact that you have a "paying audience", wether it is "individual payees" or a "block booking" doesn't make any difference.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 08, 2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically speaking, I think that if you are screening a feature film in a public venue, you do need a license if the film is not in the public domain and has a UK distributor. See the Filmbank site for more information.

Most of my shows have been shorts/docs/etc and I think it's inconceivable that anyone would take issue. In reality, most people use their discretion and someone could claim that showing a feature film to a small audience in a nursing home is paractically a domestic show and it's hard to imagine any sort of problem. What I would NOT do is screen a Disney feature in a public venue with any sort of advertising, even if it's free admission.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 09:33 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance Roger could make our government and its health and saftey policies vanish?

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark I don't even think magician Chris Angel could accommodate such a request!
[Frown]

Vincent Zabbia
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 02:04 PM      Profile for Vincent Zabbia   Author's Homepage   Email Vincent Zabbia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The movie is free. the fee is for my time

--------------------
Vincent Zabbia

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2012 01:54 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have been paid to show kids birthday parties and adult parties in the back yard on sheets side of the walls etc. I have even done a gig at a high school in the theatre auditorium and got paid. I used to show movies on the beaches in Hawaii on a sheet between two palm trees. And put out a collection box or coffee can. And I did well with tips. I even set up my projector just resently at a bowling alley of all places for a party.  -
Winbert said
quote:
full feature will loose the kid's attention for the first two reels. Thanks that we are in super 8, so we have plenty digest or mini feature to show.
Are hobby can be fun and pay for its self in the end. Go collectors go forth and show your movies all over the land He He !!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2012 05:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always this issue of copyright:

"Licensed for private viewing by home audiences...(etc.)"

-but as a practical matter is this ever enforced in cases where the take is small and the offense isn't even repeated?

"You made $250 showing my movie in public, so I am spending $10,000 to sue you for it, even though there are other cases worth millions I could persue instead. It's the PRINCIPAL of the thing!"

I am not saying the copyright isn't valid even in these small cases, but do the studios really ever bother?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 10, 2012 05:09 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of anyone being warned or prosecuted for putting on Super8, 16mm film shows. I think if it was advertised in the paper along with admission charges as a place of business that might draw attention, other than that, I dont think the film company's are interested in us. They have much bigger fish to go after with internet piracy etc is concerned.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think even in those cases you'd be hard pressed to get a lot more than a letter advising "cease and desist" on some official looking letterhead.

Lawyers are expensive, courts get testy about their time being wasted, and busting a movie night at the local geriatric home is just plain ugly PR!

I'm imagining myself mid-reel showing the Sunday School "A Disney Christmas" and having Officer Goofy show up in his police uniform and big shoes swinging his nightstick! (Kids would love it!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 11, 2012 07:50 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the two above posts in general, but in my earlier one I did say that I'd be particularly careful in relation to Disney, because they have a reputation for taking a very tough line and even nowadays there could be a slight risk, at least when it comes to features. When I started collecting 16mm in the 1980s, anyone owning Disney features was very discrete about it and even home screenings were publicised by word of mouth and never in print! They knew that Disney were more than willing to confiscate prints and prosecute.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC