8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Showing Films And Getting Paid For It! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Showing Films And Getting Paid For It!
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 04:06 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever tried to approach assisted living or nursing homes and offering to do a classic film night for the elderly residents? They are not in a position to get out to the movies so why not bring the movies to them? I think they would really enjoy seeing Laurel & Hardy Shorts, Little Rascals, W.C. Field, Chaplin among others. Any feedback on the subject would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 05:27 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have shown in 16mm some Abbott & Costello tv shows in a nursing home once.The residents enjoyed them but I found you have to keep the show short for they get bored easy and fall asleep.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 05:34 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger, I used to do this on a regular basis. I used to do FREE film shows for childrens wards in local hospitals and homes for the elderly etc. Unfortunately it has now been curbed by the fact that here in the U.K., we have a government organistaion which takes Health and Safety issues to the absolute extreme!
This has been aided and abbetted by the "compensation culture" that we live in.
Care Home and Hospital Ward Managers will not be put in a position whereby one of their "residents acidently" trips on a piece of wiring etc. and they then get sued by the relatives.
I have been told that in order for me to provide a "FREE" service, my equipmnet has to been "checked and approved" and I have to have personal liability insurance cover to cater for any "mishaps".
Gone are the days when I could go along, set up my equipment with care and provide "free entertainment" to a very deserving audience.
They call this progress?

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 05:34 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I would love to do! Of course I would want to do it for free.
Austin

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid my parents took me to the Village Inn Pizza Parlor
here in phoenix and every Sunday night a man would come in and set up his projector & screen and run Laurel & Hardy Shorts, etc for a couple hours and he really packed them in! I enjoyed watching more of the projector running than actually watching the films. I'm pretty sure he ran 16mm films though? I don't know if he got paid for it but my guess is that they gave him free pizza & beer? It was quite popular & that is where I got the idea from.

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 06:01 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great story (:

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 05, 2012 09:52 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger
Thats a great idea, go ahead with it. As far as being paid you could ask for donations to cover the costs of petrol etc. I am sure they would enjoy it. I haven't done shows like that for years but the folk always appreciated it. For our home cinema visits we charged $4.50 each for tea and home made scones plus it covered the cost of heating in the winter, the movie was free. They would turn up here in a mini bus for an afternoon outing. I kept the programme short, in total about one and a half hours of film, then eat and chat time. The last count and this was years ago, was my wife had made over 400 scones with jam and cream [Big Grin] I think that was the highlight. [Smile] I never told folk what they were going to watch, you can have to many opinion's, make it a surprise and with a bit of thought behind it, it works out well and most important they enjoy it and its really something the local cinema cant provide for them.

PS.

I also enjoyed talking to those folk as many had led very interesting lives.

Graham.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 10:39 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Just the home-made scones...I'd fly down South for those!
I am moving shortly and the building I will be living in with my wife has a fair number of seniors, so the idea of rolling 8mm "family nights" has a good appeal. I'd love nothing better than to help revive fine memories for people who have just kept these films in their shoeboxes for decades [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 05, 2012 11:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger looks like a magician in his forum picture. I wonder if he can fix GS1200's! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2012 11:30 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could get involved in Home Movie Day in your area and help people watch their old movies. It's a volunteer thing but could be fun. It's October 20th this year. See the website for details. It's a world wide event.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 01:40 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Home movie day is a perfect excuse to screen things for seniors...We always have at least a few seniors that come here in Los Angeles each year, and they bring the best films with them from very early on.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 06:04 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The getting paid for showing films could get you into all sorts of trouble with the copyright owners...

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 06:45 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the days before Video tape I used to show films at kids' birthday parties and I was usually paid a little something. I also did a few adult parties. I have shown films at Senior centers and retirement homes in the past. I would offer to do them for free and sometimes the places would offer me some money. These days I do regular film series at the local library ..totally on a free basis, just for fun..and also for special occasions at our church. Some people I know also get paid for outdoor programs by local park authorities..and swimming pools. I do enjoy the library shows for which I hand out film notes that I do and have trivia contests and give prizes. Our audiences are steadily growing.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 06:46 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put a 16mm show featuring 'Tweety Pie' and 'The Comancheros' on at a nursing home. When all six (after an extensive ad. campaign!) of my audience were wheeled in I wondered, rather unfairly perhaps, if they would last the show out. After reel two, with one more to go, I asked if it was worth carrying on as all but one old lady had been wheeled out again. She was in a poor state but was very insistent that John Wayne was her favourite so we finished the show.
One of the nurses, obviously not a film fan, remarked that surely it would have been easier to put a DVD on, 'but not as much fun', said I, and hopefully the old dear would have agreed.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 08:06 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to do film shows on a semi regular basis, it was great fun and I'm sorry there's no real demand for it now that digital projection has taken the magic of reel film away to a great extent.

I'll re-post here what I said in previous threads:

2003:
quote:
This Saturday was another great opportunity for a Super 8 Film Show, and this time to an ever changing bunch of children – possibly the most appreciative audience!

Friends of mine were once again staging their annual Craft Fayre/Open House. As they had in the past, they asked me if I would put on a film show for the young ones, this turns out to be quite a lucrative move for the hosts, as with the kiddies captivated in the sitting room cinema, the parents tend to relax whilst being fed mince pies, tea and mulled wine, and consequently spend more money on all the odd looking craft products.

For the day, and as the Fayre had a Christmas theme to it, I put together a Christmas reel comprising Peace On Earth, The Madagascar Penguins Christmas Caper, and of course the old favourite Snowman. This lasted for about 50minutes and proved a great success although I’m not convinced that Peace on Earth is universally popular among young children as the message is quite dark.

I also took along a number of short subjects and The Lion King full feature; the latter was very much the hit of the day both with the children who were captivated by it and the parents who enjoyed the 90 minutes of freedom. The film ended with a round of applause!

As ever the GS 1200 attracted a lot of attention, during the day several of the little people got to “help” me thread it up and rewind the films, it also intrigued a number of the Dads who found themselves drawn to its alluring ways; the gentle purr, the smell of the warm mechanism and the bewitching light being all too irresistible…

In all the show lasted for nearly 6 hours as there was a constant change over in people all through out the day and the old GS performed faultlessly, in fact I feel it probably did it some good getting to be used for so long in one sitting – a little like taking the car on a long trip.

Hopefully I’ll be doing it all again next year…

2006:

quote:
... until a few years ago I did regular, fortnightly, film nights through the winter months at a local resource centre for people with learning dissabilities. These were great evenings and became very popular.

We charged an entrance fee that was ostensively to cover the cost of refreshments ie; a packet of crisps, ice cream and a drink, the film show being incidental and thus free.

In reality of course, the proceeds more than covered the expenditure and each evening contributed to the coffers in the amenity fund (the centres that is, not mine ).

Incidently, the centre eventually invested in a digital projector because the film nights had been so successful, sadly though I hear that the film nights have been discontinued now due to lack of interest and the digital projector is just used to watch the football on...

May be I should get back there this winter with the GS 1200 and revive the old cinema magic !

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 09:02 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Mike, I did also report my public screening here.

Here is from 2009:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004481

(hey..why the photos are also faded now after 3 years !! [Big Grin] )

It is a lot of fun, and one side of film collecting is to share. We spend so much money in buying films & projectors and if only me to enjoy it ..so waste..!

I follow one member here who actually does this in regular time basis, i.e Gerald Santana, but he is no longer posting here. Where he is?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 09:43 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do a Christmas show every year for a local church group of kids and their parents. It has always gone well and the parents are appreciative. I have found that the attention span of kids is small these days, and it is best to splice up a variety of shorts onto a 1200ft reel rather than try to show a feature length film. As Mike points out, the 'Star' of the show is usually the GS1200 which kids and parents alike are very attracted to.
I think a lot of nursing homes, assisted living centers, and church halls now have very large flat panel TV's and even digital projection, so the large screen film show has perhaps lost some of its unique impact.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Paul, that we have to keep the audience' mood, especially if they are kids. As the projectionist, I feel bad when they talk each other or play something else when movies go too boring.

For example, showing King Kong full feature will loose the kid's attention for the first two reels. Thanks that we are in super 8, so we have plenty digest or mini feature to show. Lakshmi has confirmed that King Kong three parter is straight to King Kong chase and NY scene. This will be good for kids.

I do not splice different films into bigger reel, only for full feature or mini feature. I am using 2 projectors instead like shown on photos at the above old post. It is just like DJ-ing, i.e playing with two turntables [Big Grin] (I do this btw for occasional parties, if you want to know my side of hobby).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 10:46 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all the members for their feedback on this issue and it was interesting to hear all your comments and stories! I think after reading your comments though about the centers having their own digital projection for their entertainment it's probably not going to be well received and besides that they are always facing increased budget cuts for their programs. And yes Paul I'm a magician by profession and I could make your GS1200 disappear for you? [Big Grin]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 11:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Roger. Can you also make film scratches disappear? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 11:43 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
That trick was in volume #7 book of Magic's greatest secrets exposed & unfortunately I did not order that one! [Big Grin]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 02:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger,

...and does volume #9 book of Magic's greatest secrets exposed tell you how to change my ROSE digest from Ken (there are 5 copies btw) to be: Close Encounter, Star Wars, Mad Max, 2001 a Space Odyssey and Alien...??. [Big Grin]

....and I am talking full feature, btw

...and could you also turn Osi's badly faded Gorky Park to become IB Tech?.... and

.... Mike Peckham's minty & sealed "Master and Commander" to become........ ROSE !! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 02:43 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
I don't think even the great magician David Cooperfield could work a miracle like that! [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 02:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger
I would still give it a go, even offer it for free. The reason I mention this, those folk were brought up with film projectors not video or large TVs. It would bring back memories for them to watch old films projected in the same room on a stand using a "film" projector "magic of the movies" [Smile] you have nothing to loose by giving a go.

I would contact them first and if they are interested, which I am sure they will be then pay them a visit, have a chat and if its a "go" check out the room for darkness, power points etc so you can plan ahead.

Graham.

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
Thanks for your valuable input and you have a valid point there!
I have a talent agency here in phoenix and I book entertainment into these nursing homes & assisted living centers for the residents so I already have an in with them so I figure this is entertainment but in a different form. I could also offer them a package deal if they book both. Just got to figure out a fair price to charge them? I would have to mix it up a bit and run one and two reelers so that they would not become too easily bored since their attention span is somewhat short.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC