8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Feature Length Film Print were you... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What Feature Length Film Print were you...
Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2012 04:20 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such wonderful Titles! Aren't we fortunate that they were printed in Super 8mm? I thought about including 16mm, but that deserves its own thread.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is hard to narrow it down....I would have to say DEMENTIA 13 as this is a cool film and I was surprised to find it on super 8.

Bill [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 30, 2012 07:08 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very hard to pick just one but I'll opt for 'Aliens', as it provides more enjoyment than any of my other contenders, as it lasts 2 hrs 17 mins! It seemed almost too good to be true when it was released and 'Alien' fans should note that 'Aliens' came first on S8 (in relation to features). So 'Alien' was released because its sequel sold well!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2012 10:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one?! Well, I guess it would be "It's A Wonderful Life". It's a NILES print and it's really on the dark side and the sound is typical NILES quality (a bit high on the bass and a tad low with some hiss in the background), but I'm still glad I have it. When I can afford a nice print on 16mm then I'll sell the one I have. The prints I have seen on 16mm always go for more than I'm willing to invest, but I'm patient. There's always an estate sale popping up on EBAY and often this is how I normally get great titles that typically go for big money and I luck out winning them for a terrific price.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 12:16 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MY ALL TIME BEST ! Was FORBIDDEN PLANET 4 X 600 reel super 8 mm feature. Clean fantastic color Blu-ray quality! Wow1 I can die now and go to heaven. But I will miss Robby.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 11:24 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I have a Niles print of It's a Wonderful Life too. The sound problems you mention are more on the first reel and not so much on the others. Also, the picture is grainier than normal throughout. Is Niles the only one to have released this?

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel Images also sold prints of "It's A Wonderful Life" and supposedly they are excellent. I know for certain they sold 16mm prints of it.

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2012 06:48 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ashkay, Joe is correct. I, too, have heard that the prints from Reel Images (based out of Connecticut, USA) are much nicer in both formats. I know other companies also released IAWL on Super 8. Two that come to mind are HOLLYWOOD FILM EXCHANGE and IVY FILMS. I haven't seen nor heard anything negative about their prints. Being that it was a public domain title for nearly 50 years after Capra's Liberty Films went under, I'm sure many companies world-wide released it. A few years ago, Paramount purchased the music rights and now have sole ownership of the movie.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2012 08:00 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IVY FILM release may have used a Original Negative struck for Television. I believe the Reel Images preprint material was a excellent 35mm print. I cannot remember reading any reviews of IVY FILM's print; but I do remember reading that the Reel Images release was Excellent. Generally, IVY FILM worked with Original Television Negatives; many from the NTA Library.

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2012 08:08 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, my print isn't all that bad. In fact, it is easily one of the better Nikes prints I have come across.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2012 08:12 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Niles worked with Original Negatives, the resultant prints were more often than not excellent. But when they worked with other preprint materials, the results varied wildly. They had on some Titles a License from the Copyright holder, so had access to a Original Negative.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC