8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Powers 6A halogen conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Powers 6A halogen conversion
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2012 11:43 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wasn't sure where to put this exactly so it will live here until it gets relegated elsewhere, but Janice knows how amazing the QLV-1 socket is and i have used it in more projector lamp conversions than I can count, so when I told a USC professor that it would be cool if I hand cranked a 35mm film for her undergraduates, I knew the best way to convert the carbon arc lamp on the POWERS 6A 35mm projector (1913) would be to mount a QLV-1 somewhere, but I didn't want to alter this amazing piece of machinery so I built a little free-standing base to put it on and it works great...

here is a little Video

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 12, 2012 12:09 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino

Thanks for the video!

PatD

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 12, 2012 12:37 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was great Dino! What voltage and wattage was the bulb? Did you have to use a transformer?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2012 12:46 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice it is a 110v 300w bulb that I have had some very good results from, and it makes these types of conversions extremely easy since I can go straight into a socket...On this one I wired in a small fan, and an on/off switch

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 12, 2012 09:00 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Dino, about hand cranked projector, do we need really to crank the projector for the whole movie...!!??

If yes, how people long time a go could show a 30 minutes film for example?

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 12, 2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

Two projectionists, each hand cranking a 1000' spool. A rest for one until the next changeover.

A rewind boy did the rewinding, and probably the lacing and trimming the carbons.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 12, 2012 10:00 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice,... but how they could crank 1000' spool in constant speed? Or did people at that time not really mind with high/low speed?

--------------------
Winbert

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2012 10:02 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
incredible! thanks for the demo of the handcranked unit.

Dino-in another thread you mentioned you had a screening for 300 people at USC. Can you tell us what films you were showing?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard the screening is coming up on Monday, and I am still trying to figure out what I'll show them...

Winbert, Back in the day they were pretty good with cranking, both in regards to the camera, and the projector..In fact somewhere i have an article from an old timer that says you wouldn't have lasted one day if you weren't able to crank at the proper speeds, and I have another that details how there is no excuse for cranking that is too fast...In regards to cranking too slow, there is a governor on the machine that would drop a safety shutter over the film gate to protect the film from burning, so this helps considerably in regards to gauging when the film is up n running at proper speed...If you think about it, it is not that different from someone in a factory assembly line who has a specific amount of time to do their task, only in this case instead of the items flying by you if you were too slow, the screen goes dark...

--------------------

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice projector
[Smile]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC