8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The GSS Moneypit (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The GSS Moneypit
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 06:05 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh,,,good times.....SO I finally acquired a GS after 100 years of film collecting, and it had a few issues so I picked up a second one (of the same version) to use for parts...Overall I was still in very good shape having only spent about $500 for the 2 x machines...I got an overview of the problems on the one machine from Leon which seemed to be mostly amp related...The other one was having a problem with the takeup, so I took both of them to a local guy who I knew fixed GS's. It wound up costing me around $400 in repairs for him to tell me that the one that the takeup wasn't working but that sounded OK, has a bad amp, two cracked gears that will eventually go, and a bad torque motor on the back which is why it wasn't taking up...He pronounced this one dead..The second one that Leon said only had amp problems, I got back saying that the amp is bad and will go soon, also has 2 cracked gears that will eventually start clicking and then give out...I understand that each of the cracked gears will cost me around $150 from Leon, and he said that each machine needs 2 of them (that will simply be the parts cost)so that will be a guaranteed $300 in parts plus the note I have somewhere from Leon mentioned that the amp board will cost around $150-$200 bringing me close to $400-$500 in parts plus the labor which is going to run another like $300-$400...I don't know how you GS guys are doing it, as this repairman said that all GS's are going to have these gears cracking since they are nylon and are now getting up to 30 years old...I am really starting to think that the GS was a very poorly designed machine, since I have many, many older machines with nylon gears that are still running fine...I am beginning to think the better route for me since I don't care much for stereo is to fix a brighter lamp into an ST-1200 and call it a day....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 02:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
You better get used to photos like this [Eek!] [Wink]

Just kidding [Smile]

Dino, Dont give up on the GS1200, not just yet, it might be at times a pain in the butt, but it is a good projector when its going right. My original second hand machine I have had for about 17 years "above photo when it was in bits when I made a two bladed shutter for the thing" anyway, it cost $1300 dollars [Eek!] when I bought it and when it arrived the stupid thing would not go. I was really ticked of at the time, considering by old ST1200 cost me only a couple of hundred and had never had given me any problems.

However once you are on top of those problems it should be good..... so hang in there.

Regarding the amp, can it not be repaired cheaply, as electronic components are not expensive?. Another thing, the low torque you mention. I bet thats an easy fix, it will be the two brushes running on a gummy commutator. Dino I would give it a go at pulling the back "carefully" off the motor in place " two screws" and give it a good clean.

One thing you do need when owning a GS1200 is the service manual all....176 pages of it complete with all the wiring diagram's.

Fixing a GS1200 reminds me of the saying..."where there is a will there is a way"....and there always is.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 02:33 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino

There is a GS1200 service manual right here on the forum. Just click on the "manuals" button on the top left. Scroll down almost to bottom to the 8mm projectors section. Graham is right, don't give up on it.

PatD

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 03:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don’t look 100 Dino [Razz]
Looking back to the 70’s when they raved about the GS1200 being ‘the dream machine’ I doubt we had any idea so many years on what a nightmare they could often turn into being decked out with so many components. Owning a GS can be a chore in as far as maintaining it and trying to find parts and the labour costs should the owner not be up to servicing. I sympathise with you Dino having these problems but I suppose the upside is once a faulty component has been replaced with a good one you at least know that part will be good for a few years, but how far do you go?

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 03:39 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a GS that needed repair. SERIOUS repair. The cost was almost the price of good used GS but in the end...it was purring quietly, the image was rock steady, the sound was beautiful. They don't call it the Rolls Royce of projectors for nothing. It has truly great performance but it comes at a price. You just have to ask yourself a question..can you afford the maintenance and upkeep? I have had a collection of all the best Super 8 Projectors and there is something truly awesome about that machine.
I have been lucky in that I have only had very minor repairs needed for the most part. This last one needed to have the main board replaced and a few bits here and there. But as I see it.. I saved it from a lonely death. And that means one more Super 8 Projector out there. One more hobbyist. Its all good for the Super 8 community!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 03:51 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...it was purring quietly, the image was rock steady, the sound was beautiful.
But....I can say that about my ST1200.

I can certainly understand the beauty of owning one of those machines when they first appeared. They must've been the ultimate 8mm projector. But, these days we hear so much about them going wrong.
I really can't understand anyone paying the money these fetch, just to own a GS.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 09:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a GS1200 for the sake that I have a GS1200! For daily use I use ST-1200. For outdoor sometimes, Chinnon.

But I have in my mind that I have this Rolls-Royce and do not need another one... [Wink]

Similar to people owning a Lamborghini, they use it only for certain occasion while daily they drive Corolla... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 09:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then again a 1970's £800 Elmo GS1200 would today have cost you about £4,500.00 to buy new. Makes you think... [Eek!]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 09:21 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a big bright image, the GS rules. Nothing else comes close if you have a GS with a 2-bladed shutter and the f1.0 lens.
Reliability wise they can be a pain in the butt. Look at the repair history of one of my GS'S purchased about 10 years ago.

2001 fitted new front micro switch
2002 fitted new rear micro switch
2004 fitted new mother board relay for motor control
2005 fitted new lamp socket
2007 fitted new stereo amplifier module
2009 fitted new front arm rewind gear
2011 fitted new top and bottom plastic film guides.
2012 fitted new lamp socket

Now here are the repair procedures carried out on my Eumig S938 Stereo purchased in 1999:

A fully functional GS is a truly great projector, so it is definately worth the effort to try and get one up to top condition. But there is no question that the machine is over designed, unnecessarily complex, and is by no means the perfect projector that it is often portrayed to be.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 09:49 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it only me that hasn’t had a catalogue of problems with my GS 1200? I wonder whether it is simply a matter of not hearing from the people with GS 1200s that give them no trouble, understandably, those who do experience difficulties are the most vociferous.

I bought my GS 1200 from Ian at Perry’s in 1997, the repairs carried out to it over the past 15 years have been:

Replaced the two condensers on the sound board to improve the quality of sound recordings.

That’s it.

I have to say that my 2 x Sankyo Stereo 800s have needed no repair whatsoever and they have been responsible for the majority of my screenings. But the GS 1200 has always been used when I have needed the 1200ft reel capacity, Optical Sound Capability or have been projecting on to a particularly large screen.

It has always proved to be an excellent, reliable machine that has been consistently a pleasure to use.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 10:11 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One good thing about the GS is that it has an excellent service manual that has exploded views of all the assemblies along with detailed trouble shooting and repair procedures. Its a little intimidating when you first look into the innards of the GS, but the service manual shows very well how to remove all the major assemblies and pretty soon you get to know your way around the machine. Despite my repair list, I have never had to send my projectpr out to Leon for repair, being able to do it all myself, so I have had no labor costs. In fact I have had my GS totally stripped down, and installed a 2- bladed shutter and new stereo amplifier without difficulty. There is certainly a considerable feeling of satisfaction in successfully repairing a GS. Definately like maintaining a throughbred sports car, as others have noted! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 10:36 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have three GS1200!

The older the engine start up does not work immediately! Must rotate a few minutes before starting.
The reverse does not work but rewinding, yes.

I think the relays are tired and I do not know anyone to do the replacement.

The other two projectors work very well!

The last I bought 50 euros with two full lens: 1.1 and 1.0
and full of empty reels and other items.

The projector was dusty but after a good cleaning and lubrication, it runs very well!

--------------------
Tony

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antoine WOW [Eek!]
I think you get the "steal of the century" award, as I paid 4 x that amount for the 1.0 lens and it didn't even come with the swanky case......OK I am not going to give up on the GS (probably more due to my stubborness than any common sense) but it definitely feels like I'm dating a beautiful model who keeps testing me to see how much i will put up with so we constantly argue and then when I finally succumb, and say "yes dear" she will leave me laughing at what a fool I was to let her walk all over me. So I go back and date her slightly less attractive but much nicer little sister again the ST-1200, who was quietly waiting for me to get this out of my system, knowing all along that I would be back......

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,you must have the heart of a lion,I wish you every success
in this venture, I just hope it doesn't drive you to strong drink!
By the way,your gels are in the post, have fun.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 02:44 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino, to which cracked gears are you refering to? are they the one's that are directly engaged to the motor at the base of the arms front and back ?.I had some made for my gs a while back out of solid bronze and they certainly won't brake again.I tried to help out a fellow member a while back with these but he was reluctant to use them with the existing plastic gears ,,but i have to say i've had no problem with them at all and even bill parson's on this side of the pond has used one on a repair and he's generally know for his expert knowledge on these and other machine's.I think if its the problem gear on the gs even wittner in germany are stocking the new bronze gear's now no more plastic gear's. Let me know or lets get a picture i may be able to help you.Rgds Paul B.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 03:55 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they use nylon gears on all Elmo projectors? If so, shouldn't they all be having the same problem? What is different about the GS that causes the problem?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 04:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

My boss in the ailine industry I used to work for long ago had a stunning Pontiac Trans Am "V8", the one with the big eagle on the hood. [Cool] He used to uncover it for the weekends "da da", and during the week drive to work in a Vauxhall Viva.

I look on the GS1200 as he did with the "Trans Am", and the ST1200 as the "Viva" [Big Grin]

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted October 04, 2012 04:59 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There's something in that Graham,Winbert say's the same,actually
I think the ST1200s were a more workmanlike affair and a lot
more reliable.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 05:02 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, I am so sorry to hear this. I heartily approve of Paul's gear offer, but you will need to install them yourself. All told, this may save you a little over Leon's stock parts prices.

Dino wrote:
quote:
it definitely feels like I'm dating a beautiful model who keeps testing me to see how much i will put up with so we constantly argue and then when I finally succumb, and say "yes dear" she will leave me laughing at what a fool I was to let her walk all over me. So I go back and date her slightly less attractive but much nicer little sister again the ST-1200, who was quietly waiting for me to get this out of my system, knowing all along that I would be back......
Simply classic.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2012 11:41 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah the punch line to all of this? I went to play my first film on the dying (but beautiful) model, and within about 10 seconds it starts making the most annoying / loudest crackling and popping I have ever heard come out of a projector (in stereo I am assuming)....So I pulled out the one that he said was totally dead and I should scrap, and it sounded beautiful, but the take-up still doesn't work...The repairman said you cannot use the brass gears, but I am tending to no longer believe most of what he said to me...It almost feels like I was taken for a ride...Basically it cost me $400 to get back the machine that Leon said needed a new amp, still needing a new amp, and the other one that had take-up problems, still has take up problems...I should have just given the money to Leon when he still had the machine...I think I will email you Paul about those gears..

[Frown]

There used to be a camera/projector repair shop in Hollywood that was filled with all of these beautiful old projectors so I took one in to them for repair (a Bell n Howell 16mm) and they called and told me that it was going to be $400 for the repair or I could have the machine back un-repaired but I would have to pay their $150 diagnostics fee, being that the machine was worth $100 tops I naturally did nothing and left the machine there, and figured out how they got so many projectors for their shop. It was probably a small repair and they were able to put another machine on the shelf for sale....

I think I will watch some 16mm this weekend and take a break from Super 8...

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 05, 2012 09:06 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
One thing I would like to mention to you. it is quite possible (maybe probable) that even though your GS1200 amplifier has a problem , that it will still play flawlessly via the extrenal AUX OUT connectors on the back, when connected to an external stereo system. Usually on the GS1200'S it is the final amplifier stage (that powers up the internal and external speakers) that craps out, but the pre-amp stage (which connects to extrenal stero amp) is usually fine. I have had amplifier problems on both my GS1200'S and in both cases the pre-amp was fine, so that I could still run the projector without any problems via the AUX OUT connections to an external system (which is the way I always run my projectors anyway).

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2012 02:54 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to bear in mind about the GS1200 is it was considered a semi-professional projector and as such generally had a hard working life. Unless you purchased one new you're not really going to know how reliable they ever were. About 12 years ago I purchased one that had been through thousands of hours of film over its hard life. It wasn't expensive at the time but it was soon obvious it would need surgery fairly soon. Bill Parsons did a major rebuild on that machine and it's been the best projector (and most reliable) I have ever had. Yes, it's the one that was modified for BFCC use with the HTI lamp. I don't use it a lot nowadays owing to convention duty but after 18 months inactivity it's just a question of switching it on. Having said that, another check reel is due to be run this weekend. Everything looks better from it than any other machine I've ever seen.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 05:06 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John Clancy
Bill Parsons did a major rebuild on that machine and it's been the best projector (and most reliable) I have ever had.

Does Bill still do repairs on GS1200?

Do you have any pictures of GS1200 that was modified for BFCC use with the HTI lamp and picture of lamp too.

When my GS was serviced by CZ Science Instruments (think original agent) and later Hanimex. It always had the take-up motor set too high. I used to alter a variable resistor near the rear motor this fixed it.

Another problem was with the sound crackling, this was fixed by the fitting of earthing strap to the flywheel shaft. Caused by grease drying out on bearings I believe.

Still a great machine I have the original lens 1.3? the 1.0? plus the 1.4 long throw lens. This brings me to ask does anyone know who can fix my long throw lens? The rear glass has come loose and needs fixing.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2012 11:06 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul you are correct, there is a tiny bit of life left in the amp as i plugged in a pair of computer speakers to the aux output and the sound was OK..not amazing, but good enough to watch a couple of reels, and possibly hold me over until I can save up some more GS-repair money - I may contact you off list Paul to help me work through some of the repairs, like the amp removal.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2012 03:23 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes David, Bill Parsons does still do projector repairs. You'll find his contact details on the 'Super 8 Links' page of the British Film Collectors Convention web site www.bfcc.biz

You'll also find photos of the GS1200 in the Past Events pages. Getting a picture of the lamp ain't easy because the lamp cover hoursing has to be removed and I'm averse to doing that given the cost of the HTI lamps... I don't want to risk smashing it!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC