8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WHAT IS THE BEST FILM STOCK ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHAT IS THE BEST FILM STOCK ?
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2012 06:52 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this question has been asked and been talked about since this forum started. But I think we all need a up date for buying and selling movies right now in 2012. What if the film has a black lead and no labels ? Are all Derann prints on the best stock. ? Can I tell the film stock by the color like red etc? And can we have a list and dates for all the many film stocks . LPP was introduced in 1980, so what about Eastman when did it first come out. Were low fade stocks used in the olden days? So lets get down with all the facts about film and prints here in this Topic. .

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2012 07:48 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi Eastman color has been around since the 1950's and the LPP and low fade stocks came in the early 1980's..I would think the ideal is going to be an LPP on estar so you will have some low fade color on the most durable base. This is not talking about the subtle differences between film stocks that some people like/dislike such as has been discussed on other threads, like the blueish hue, etc...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2012 12:40 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dino can you give me a list of all the film stock you know of and maybe whats good or bad about it?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 17, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite is agfa film stock.

On a couple of my favorite films, I have had both an agfa film stock print an an LPP film stock print, as I have found that the AGFA prints are superior in color reproduction. The LPP, while certainly OK, does tend to have a slight to terrible bluish cast, (however, some of that can be due to the film lab work as well).

If I could find them, (or if someone else can) there was a comparison of screenshots from a Derann "Mary Poppins," one on AGFA and one on LPP, and the AGFA was certainly superior.

Also, while LPP has been around since around 1980, and has held up well, I have agfa prints from all the way back into the 60's or so, and these prints are still pristine in color, so at least, there is also the perfect track record for color stability with AGFA that spans at least 50 or more years.

Don't get me wrong though, were happy to have LPP as well!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2012 03:30 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is for 16mm, but maybe it helps to answer your question:
http://www.paulivester.com/films/filmstock/guide.htm

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2012 11:35 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi , did Red Fox use agfa film stock print or LPP film stock print ? I have prints from Red Fox that have turned red and prints that have looked great with glorious color for over 30 years? Just an example my Forbidden Planet feature is fantastic color was made from Fox and yet my Magic Sword as gone red. And how do you know what film stock it is if it is not on the head of the reel ? Can you say the age of the film and or fadeing or stable color?

[ October 19, 2012, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 19, 2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They used both, as I have a print of "A Tale of Two Kitties" on LPP from Red Fox, and "Hoppity Goes to Town", which is on AGFA and also from Red Fox.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC