8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is a good projector to get?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is a good projector to get?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 05:28 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to relive my childhood ... When I was eleven, I started doing a paper route and for the money I bought myself an Elmo ST-600 I believe it was. I think it was Super 8mm only, with stereo sound. Was a decent machine.

Is there anyone that can do sound, normal 8mm and Super 8mm? I am located in Norway, so a European model would be nice, thought I can use a stepdown converter (it handles 300w or 350w I think ... shold be enough, or am I mistaken?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you from an old (1966) norwegian, who loves movies (but hate the new cinemas)

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 07, 2012 05:57 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Vidar

Welcome to the forum.

Eumig makes a projector that plays both. I thinks it a model 701D? I'm havine a senior moment. I'msure another member will correct me and update the info.

PatD

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Eumig makes a very sturdy machine and is gentle to film that plays both stadard and super 8mm sound. Personaly, I like their 800 series projectors (802D, 807D, 810D, etc) Don't be fooled though, when I got my first eumig it said plays Super 8 and Single 8 and I made the mistake and thought that single 8 meant standard 8mm.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 01:22 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, are there even more formats then? I got a couple of silent projectors along with some movies. On the projector it says Normal 8 or Super 8 ... I'll have to read a little more about it then ... Maybe you guys knows what I need if I post pictures of the stuff I got.

Thanks for now

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 02:30 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Vidar. Welcome to the forum.
From the projecting point of view there is only Standard (sometimes called "Regular" or "Normal") 8 and Super 8. Single 8 is of no importance when choosing a projector. Some sellers appear to be ignorant of this and advertise their projectors as being Dual gauge because they are capable of projecting Single 8. The relevant dimensions of Single 8 - perforations and soundtrack - are the same as Super 8.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 03:28 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 800 series, those with a D are all suitable, BUT the 824 models are also suitable and do not have the D suffix. They are referred to as 824 SONOMATIC; any with that description will do both and are the best of the 800 series for Sound.
Do make sure you see and hear them working on both Standard and Super 8 before you buy, because the Eumigs, though brilliant machines, have some failings with both mechanics and sound when much-used or neglected.
I have several and love them with a passion.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 05:54 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To show the difference between standard/regular 8mm & super 8

This is super/single 8 magnetic sound film (black lines l/r are the stripe sound be brown) The one near the sprockets is the balance stripe.
 -

This is super/single 8 optical sound film. Its also flipped sprockets on the wrong side.
 -

And this is standard/regular/normal 8mm. The magnetic stripe would be at the side of the sprockets

-

For a good list of projectors try this database super8data.com

Enjoy film. ITS MAGIC ITS REEL

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 06:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Vidar and lovely to read your post. I’m also on a nostalgia trip at the moment re filming some of the amateur films I made 40 years ago so it must be an age thing or something..

As Pat mentioned the Eumig sound machines are a good sturdy option, but do remember you are buying used equipment so may inherit a need for repair if not chosen carefully as with any machine or make. The Eumig 810D (dual film gauge) is always a popular choice and will show Std 8 and Super 8 sound silent films for you. The model was also enhanced as the 810D ‘Lux’ having a better lens fitted and more desirable by home showmen.
Happy hunting.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 09:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Further to Lee's comments.

There is also another 810D between the two he mentions, it's the 810D HQS.

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank for the replies, helpful info is always appreciated. I might have done something stupid then, cause I bought an Eumig Mark-s 710D ... It is tested and working according to the seller.

How much are those 8xx series going for? I would prefer european model. I got the 710 for GBP 65, which I thought was okay and it said to have support for three different formats ...

Will take a picture of the stuff I got cheap, maybe some of you have helpful tips there too

Thanks again, now I am anxiously waiting for the mail to bring me the projector

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Price is okay if it works OK.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Vidar.

And remember:
A good projector is always a working projector!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 02:14 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some data on the 710D

http://www.super8data.com/database/projectors_list/projectors_eumig/eumig_mark_s710d.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 04:36 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the stuff I got for about 70 dollars, shipped

There's one movie roll that is still unknown to me here ... Looking forward to checking it out when the new projector comes (I can't for the life of me load the movies into the two projectors here)

http://pokeysoft.no/games/movies/8mm/Movies%208mm.htm

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 04:44 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those Agfa Movectors. First projector I got back in the early 70's. Mine still works though I've lost the S8 adaptor. I loved it as a kid but it tended to scratch film a bit. Sprocketless, if I remember correctly. I keep it for nostalgia sake.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything through that K6 CineMax.

Those are really bottom-line "toy" projectors there, I'm afraid.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's my impression too. Was so light I was sure there wasn't anything in it :-)

That's one of the reasons I want a little better projector. I am tempted by the Elmo GS1200, but price is quite high I feel.

Anyone know of a good source for movies BTW? Is it only eBay or does some stores still exist? I mean for everything like, blank film reels (for adding at the beginning of the film), splicing tape for splicers, belts, lamps and so on?

Were there many (if any) full feature movies released?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Get a Bauer T610, kind on film, Stereo sound, 150w Lamp,extremely sharp & bright f1.1 Schneider lens, great recording features and got to be the quietest running Super 8 projector ever made! The only downside is the 800ft reel capacity but I am working on a modification where thats concerned to get it to 1200/1600ft (like a Standard GS1200) which I will share on here once completed. Yes, it's not a dual guage machine but then neither is a GS1200 and the difference being new spares are readily available for these machines from Germany. There is more than enough quality Super 8 prints out there that you won't have to worry about what you are missing out on for Standard 8 and besides most standard 8 prints are so old now that most must be suffering from the age that they are either in print fade or sound fade issues etc. Get a decent T610 thats well looked after and serviced with a can of Servisol Super 10 at the same time and you won't be disappointed my friend! If you start doing serious investments into film again then you will soon see that the money you spend on the films themselves outweighs any investment spent on a projector therefore the number one consideration in my book is a machine that is the completely gentle with the handling of your films without having to constantly clean every single aspect of the projectors film path meticulously between screenings and reels without being paranoid that one day you will see a green emulsion scratch right down the centre of one of your prized possesions!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 07:23 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip ... Again, it's a bit steeper than the Eumig I bought ... I will consider, later when more money is available, either this Bauer T610 or the Elmo GS1200

Where do you guys live? I am in Norway and things are not too easy to find here. Any other scandinavians here?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted November 08, 2012 07:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I again Vidar, i am a UK resident but purchased my Bauer from Germany. They are easily found there for much less than in the UK though I have no Idea of projector second hand prices in Scandinavia! l.o.l. The Bauer T610 should cost you at least half the price of a GS1200 if not less and around 90% less hassle from what I've seen and witnessed from the owners of each! I have to say though, from all accounts if you managed to get a very well looked after GS then you have the best of the best in all respects including Optical sound facilities, just be very wary before parting with your hard earned cash! [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2012 09:51 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should be pretty happy with your 710 projector.
Yes, there have been quite a few feature films released over time. Unfortunately to get any they are rather expensive. You can find some older black & white feature films for not to bad. But when it comes to getting a more modern color movie (that isn't all faded) they are hundreds of dollars. Lucky for me I enjoy older films every bit as much as newer ones.
I would have to say Ebay is where I've gotten the majority of my collection but I've gotten several through the forum too. There are also a couple sites that sell used films, which are nice, especially if you are looking for something particular.

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ELMO SC-18 HIGH VISION Nuff said  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 10, 2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard from someone, the Eumig is not so good. Likely to scratch the movies. Seems like it is difficult to find the right projector. I always liked the Elmo I had, so this SC-18 might be okay ... Whar would you expect to pay for one of those and where can I find one?

The SC-18 has the drawback of only small reels again :-/

[ November 10, 2012, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Vidar Olavesen ]

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2012 10:40 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience and what I hear from others most Eumigs are actually among the better projectors for not scrathing film (altough I'm sure somebody has had a bad experience with about every kind of projector). Just search on this site for "best projector" and you should get a good idea what are some of the best ones out there.

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2012 12:25 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find one Elmo SC-18 they go for a few hundred.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC