8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Leader Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Leader Question
Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 02:02 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a stupid question to ask but how much film leader is the best length to use? I have been using about 18 inches of leader and wanted to make sure I'm not wasting it?

Thanks,
RS

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 02:30 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I use enough that I can connect it to the take up reel and the film is ready to start. I am not sure how long that is!

Bill [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 28, 2012 02:31 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leader is the sacrificial lamb in the world of film!

When I put leader on one of my own films I start with at least two feet of the white stuff. I want it to go through the entire length of the film path so if the machine starts to digest it I can stop it before it eats footage I can't replace.

Then I do about two feet of black acetate leader(harder to find these days) so I have a place to start the lamp without lighting up the screen just yet. This way when the film is really starting the transport is up to speed and the lamp is lit.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 02:34 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use about 2 1/2 to 3 feet so I can start the film with it still projecting the leader. I also put 6" to a foot of leader on the end to protect the film.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rule of thumb (or should I say arm) in film school is about a meter (36") or an arm's length. So, 18 inches is fine, any extra that is pulled could always be reused or put on to the end of the reel.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 06:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a perfectionist. Every film comes with enough own leader so why should add another leader? Unless the original leader is missing. In this case I will add with left ofer or old/waste films to the length that enough to reach the take up spool.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC