8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Columbia 7th Voyage Of Sinbad color question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Columbia 7th Voyage Of Sinbad color question
Hal Dickens
Junior

- posted April 22, 2013 08:24 PM      Profile for Hal Dickens   Email Hal Dickens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember bring home the first part of the Columbia 8mm 7th Voyage Of Sinbad-The Cyclops color version back in the 70s. The color was breathtakingly beautiful! The scenes of the bird with the princess and the ship sailing off at the end were particularly gorgeous. Has the color faded on all of the 8mm prints or does someone out there have what I remember?Unfortunately, the DVD and BluRay versions pale in comparison to what I remember years ago. Why was the color so magnificent on those 8mm prints compared to today's dvds? Did the original negative just fade away?

|  IP: Logged

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2013 11:09 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hal I know what you mean I loved my color on the one I had and still have . Most of the copies look faded from back then. It was the film stock they used. Check out mine.  -  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2013 10:24 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hal, there are super 8 prints of the full feature (5X400') that have excellent color. I regrettably sold mine years ago and have been looking for another one ever since.... [Frown]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 23, 2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a kid, I bought Sinbad parts 3 & 4 in Standard 8mm color, silent. Just like Hal, I was amazed at how vivid and beautiful the colors were, particularly the scene where they throw the lamp into the lava. If only they held up.
I do have the 4 part Jason and the Argonauts and the color, while not as stunning as Sinbad was, is still very nice. There's hope!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Hal Dickens
Junior

- posted April 23, 2013 11:05 PM      Profile for Hal Dickens   Email Hal Dickens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe-Thanks for the tip about the Sinbad feature prints. Is the color as rich and vivid as what the digests were or are they slightly duller?
Does anyone here know why the DVDs don't match the beautiful saturated colors that we remember our 8mm digests having? Have Columbia Pictures negatives faded too? It doesn't seem likely but then why else are they not as gorgeous?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 24, 2013 04:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the four part "Sinbad" release back in the day,and was
very disappointed in the colour of the first two reels which looked
to be faded, even on a different gauge, it was just the same.
The reels 3 & 4 had beautiful colour.Deranns release of "Sinbad"
was spot on, marred only by the last minutes being water marked
but it didn't really detract.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC