8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Giant Behemoth content question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Giant Behemoth content question
Hal Dickens
Junior

- posted April 23, 2013 11:22 PM      Profile for Hal Dickens   Email Hal Dickens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for all the weird questions I''ve been asking since joining this great forum.
One of my favorite big monster films is "The Giant Behemoth". I'll never forget how excited I was when I bought the Ken Films 8mm version. The first thing I noticed was the less than full reel. Then I sat through the super long ferry boat scene with the fake head. I remember despair creeping up my spine as I watched the worst scene off the movie go on and on. Then the great underwater conclusion segment. The End. Where were the great city destruction scenes?!!!!!!
Was anyone else as crushed as I remember being with this digest? What lazy film editors. Let's put the really long ferry boat scene on and then tack on the underwater ending. Great! Let's go to lunch. Done in ten minutes. Aarrgghhhh!!!!!
You can tell it still bugs me after all these years. You have to understand it was the first monster movie I saw on TV with my father in 1961. We sat on the couch and shared a box of Brach's chocolate covered cherries while being enthralled by the monster. I had to wait years later to see the really old scenes because the 8mm version stunk!
Sorry or the rant.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2013 11:49 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was Derann that came out with a 400 foot reel and I remember it being quite good containing most of the stop motion Behemoth. It's been a long time since I have seen it.

Hal Dickens
Junior

- posted April 24, 2013 12:31 AM      Profile for Hal Dickens   Email Hal Dickens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had known about that version.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 24, 2013 01:40 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hal...I have the 200ft vesion which sounds like what you are describing. The boat bobs around like a toy in the bath tub. I never watched these movies as a kid, but I guess at the time special effects was in it's infancy and realism wasn't that important.

I love what's written on the film box..."The 200ft. Horror from the Earth's Beginning..Burning the human race with it's Hell fire.. crushing the world in its path! NOTHING so frightful has ever been seen!" [Smile] [Eek!]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2013 02:49 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Behemoth the Sea Monster in the UK. Bought the 400ft Derann release, but it was a very poor print, bleached out images, the sounds was only average hissy. It was quite well edited though. It was one of the few prints I ever had to send back to them for a refund.

If a print came up for a couple of quid I'd proberly be tempted.
 -

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 24, 2013 04:28 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann brought out three sci-fi B/W horrors which were printed
rather light, "THE TROLLENBERG TERROR", BEHEMOTH,THE SEA
MONSTER" AND "WOMAN EATER", they are extremely rare these
days,but I managed to snag them.The reason the head of the
monster in the river looked odd and immobile was because a young technician had been playing with this model,that was capable of various actions, and broke it just before it was needed,so invariably wrecking the proposed scene.Interestingly
in the 400', which has the final scenes intact of the creature
loose in London,there is a shot of the saurian crushing a car,
that although very well done,is repeated three times,it was retained in the release print, although in the DVD release the
repeat scenes have been removed, so making the digest a unique record of the original feature.

Hal Dickens
Junior

- posted April 24, 2013 05:11 AM      Profile for Hal Dickens   Email Hal Dickens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info, guys and girl! I have to look at the DVD again to see about that car crushing scene.
This forum is full of knowledge!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2013 01:47 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite 400' digest. It may look a little washed out in some scenes, but overall the quality of my print is very good, well edited, and with a booming soundtrack. after reading the previous posts I think there must have been some inconsistency between prints....

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2013 04:35 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I got a poor one. The sound on that copy I had was very hissy and low volume too. The picture was bleached out highlights. Should have asked for replacement I suppose. I do remember it was quite well edited.

Wonder if at the time of release, Derann did not do their own recording.

Hugh The other two "THE TROLLENBERG TERROR" AND "WOMAN EATER" must be extremely rare as you say. I recall them from the catalogue, but never saw them for sale anywhere.

If they appear for sale cheap enough [Big Grin] I might buy them. But looking at some of the prices on ebay of other so called rare titles maybe not.

--------------------

Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2013 08:06 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hal
I was not for a long Time on this Forum,but still a big film fan. I am one of the few filmfans in the world who own a 35 mm copy of The giant Behemoth. And even it is an old used print,it looks great on 35 mm Bad luck,that it is not possible to meet to run this rare Item in a cinema.
Best wishes from Germany
Andreas

Hal Dickens
Junior

- posted April 30, 2013 07:20 PM      Profile for Hal Dickens   Email Hal Dickens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andreas. That sounds really cool! I assume you have a 35 mm projector to run it on. How big have you projected it?

Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2013 06:59 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hal
I have a Filmclub,were we meet once a month to run all this wunderful Filmmaterial from the past .First we show one or two hours of old Super 8 material,most trailers and digest versions,then we switch to 35mm, were we run one hours of old trailers,a newsreel and two features on 35mm. One of the last films from my collection we run was Godzilla vs the thing, from 1964 on CS. But flat films are on our screen bigger than CS films,about 9 feet for a flat film like Behemoth.Its a nice Club because we celebrate the past of cinema and movies include Super 8mm.
Hope you have a chance to see old cinema material at your place,too
Bye Bye
Andreas

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 05, 2013 07:12 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not enough people around here for many meetings, but I too started showing films to friends

http://pokeysoft.no/osfk/

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2013 02:17 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas, Did you watch the film?

From this
 -
a little radiation to this.
 - The one that blows up.

Interesting to see a few well known faces in early bit parts to.
George Sewell, Sid James, I think? plus a few others.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC