8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Are there any movies about Battle of Britain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are there any movies about Battle of Britain?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 19, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any Super 8 or 16mm for that matter about the Battle of Britain? I seem to recall I had or rented one millions of years ago.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 19, 2013 09:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a few documentaries released Vidar,apart from
the Walton release of "Reach for the Sky" and "Battle of Britain"
in opt. snd and colour cinemascope,which is in itself unusual.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 19, 2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW Vidar...I just watched a terrific BBC documentary called "The Real Battle of Britain". The actor Ewan McGregor and his brother Colin McGregor tell a day-by-day account with beautiful photos and arial footage of the fighter planes and interviews with a couple of the actual pilots who flew in the battle. In my younger days I flew single-engine land airplanes and this program brought back a lot of the feeling of being up in the air again [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 03:37 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar
Derann did put out a 200ft Super8 Black and White sound film called "The Battle Of Britain" a few years back.

If thats any help.

Graham.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 05:24 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! When you say a few years back, Graham, is that 1970-80's? I do believe the one I saw must have been the Walton release, I am fairly sure it was a Walton box, but not getting any younger. Janice, I bet that won't see a Super 8 release :-)

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 06:02 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar. Top of your list should be Capra’s ‘THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN’ which made it onto super 8 sound thanks to Collectors Club and fully complete at that. It shows the Royal Air Force and the fight against the Luftwaffe in detail and this was part of a series of films which I found pretty amazing.

3X400ft B&W Sound

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 06:28 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Lee! Searched some, but can not find any. Will be on the lookout.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 10:03 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar, This is from the last Walton catalogue
 -
Most of the UK companies had a selection of war films though.
A few titles off the top of my head:
"Malta Story"
"They Were Not Divided"
"Above Us The Waves"

Best Wishes.

David.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 10:46 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I feel fairly sure it's the part 2 of this I've seen. Now to locate the 4 parts :-)

Anyone?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 20, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is no joke ...

A collector I know in the UK has an EXCEEDINGLY RARE super 8 SCOPE optical sound print of the Battle of Britian. I didn't even know they made scope super 8 optical, but I know this collector well, and he's not one to make up stories.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi is absolutely correct. Below are screenshots from this "rarity". I too have never seen any other SCOPE optical prints on Super 8mm.

-

-

-

-

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

[ May 21, 2013, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 02:38 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Optical Scope prints were made for the new W-I-D-E Bodied planes.

The colour on "Battle Of Britain" looks great.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 21, 2013 08:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As I mentioned at the beginning,it was unusual for a 'scope in
opt.snd.The chances are the copy in question belonged to the late
Tony Churcher of Supaspool fame, who was very proud of it.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 22, 2013 02:29 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar

Its listed in one of my Derann Super8 Catalogue, the one with "The Little Mermaid" on the front cover, so at a guess around possibly the late 1980s-early 1990s. I am pretty sure when Walton closed Derann got a number of there negative..so you could be right as to its origin being from Walton.

Graham.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2013 03:17 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

there are also some documentaries made of old newsreels, e.g. this one: http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent499.htm

Jörg

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 22, 2013 04:22 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar. I checked the archive and have a spare Blitz on Britain if its of help and think I have Dam Busters but may have to hunt for that. PM me.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 24, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX 4 those shots Keith. I am so totally envious of that print!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC