8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Splicing on to Bigger Reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Splicing on to Bigger Reels
Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2013 02:21 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I'm new to the world of mounting things on 1200' reels. I'm really looking forward to a couple reels switches for features. What I'm wondering is, how do you all mount them?

I don't mean how do you splice :-P I mean do you keep the original leaders and tales on those reels or do you cut right up to the frame to make a more seamless viewing experience?

I'm a little afraid to hack away that much of the film. Especially with rare and hard to find prints. These frames are precious!

Also, for the people that sync sound from a DVD or something else, I have to imagine that you are splicing to frame, otherwise how do you keep it in sync?

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 22, 2013 02:38 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copy the 35mm technique, cut off leads and tails but leave one frame on the end of the lead, and one frame at the beginning of the tail. This is assuming you are using tape splices that can eventually be pulled apart.
The reason why cinemas used this technique was to be doubly sure that the correct leads and tails were re-attached to the 2000' rolls (UK), spools (US), before their return to the renters, or a cross-over to another cinema.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 22, 2013 02:54 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann features were recorded in a way that for those who woshed to join them up onto bigger spools the sound would flow perfectly when the leaders were cut and the films joined. Hence there is a slight bit of sound after the last frame at the end of the reels

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2013 03:27 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips! What about when people sync sound from a separate source? How are these folks keeping things un sync between reels? Is it just good timing with pausing the sound?

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Gordon G. Ellis
Junior

- posted June 04, 2016 07:37 PM      Profile for Gordon G. Ellis   Email Gordon G. Ellis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this — I've acquired some 800' reels, and am in the process of mounting several 2 x 400' reel digests and a 4 x 400' feature onto the larger reels. My concern (similar to the original poster) is how tightly the last shot on reel 1 and the first shot on reel 2 can be spliced. Specifically, after the final shot on reel 1, do I need to leave at least 18 frames of black to accommodate the mag sound that trails the shot? I don't want to cut 3/4 second of soundtrack, but I don't want to unnecessarily leave a lengthy black slug either. Any, I'm having a hard time getting my head around it. Advice? Thanks.

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2016 10:27 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to see if there is the sound for the first 18 frames of the second 400-foot section at the end of the first 400-foot section. You should continue to hear sound for 3/4 second after the picture of the first 400-section ends. A lot of time in theatrical films the editor tries to find a section of essential silence to have the reel end. In these cases, you can just make the splice without much concern. Check the second 400-foot section to see if there is any sound of importance at the beginning of the reel, then make your decision based on these things.

--------------------
John Hermes

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2016 01:01 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When your concern is keeping up the sync with an external source, it is essential that no frames are cut off when mounting features onto larger reels.

[ June 05, 2016, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Alexander Vandeputte ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 05, 2016 06:16 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
.....to accommodate the mag sound that trails the shot.....
Gordon
The sound is 18 frames ahead of the corresponding picture.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 05, 2016 04:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, all my collecting life i simply cut right up to the frame,(i obviously dont remove any actual film frames), no audience has ever noticed any joins, (its only us collector and perfectionists that notice these things), & i keep the original leaders and tails loose in the boxes on there original reels should i wish to sell them later. [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 06, 2016 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always a good idea to keep the removed leaders and tails in their original boxes so that they can be restored if the film is finally sold, although few people probably actually do this.

--------------------
Maurice

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2016 09:56 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I have done this I keep 4 frames on either side so there is 8 frames of black in-between the parts. Yes, you will see that but the splice happens 'in the dark' and there is plenty of margin for error to put things back together later.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC