8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best way to re-shape reels?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best way to re-shape reels?
Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 05:01 AM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a pile of 400' reels needing re-shaped, I'd love to hear any suggestions as to the best way to do this.
I've been told they are best re-shaped by soaking them in boiling water to soften the plastic enough to be slightly plyable, then insert polystyrene in to the space to re-set their shape.
These reels have been under some considerable weight for quite some time, but don't appear brittle. Tips and tried methods would be very welcomed.

--------------------
Ron

|  IP: Logged

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 08:39 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've re-shaped them without the boiling but it took a long time. I bet the boiling will put the process on a more practical time table. And disinfect them!

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 08:56 AM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ernie, how did you re-shape yours and how successful did you find it?

--------------------
Ron

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 17, 2014 12:25 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For minor adjustments I've used a hairdryer [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a couple reels a while back by putting spacers in the reel to give me the correct width and placed them in the dishwasher

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted May 17, 2014 06:17 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a hairdryer as Janice does.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 06:24 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reel was pretty narrow. I actually wedged a film box in the reel and left it there for a long time. Essentially a spacer.

But as others say. Time is best supplemented by heat.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2014 06:26 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I did it was to wrap something like a thin strip of cloth around the centre, just enough to pull the sides apart uniformly, put into the hot water, leave till the water cools down a bit then transfer to cold. Spacers of some sort sound like a good option for better accuracy.

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2014 04:16 AM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great advice from everyone, thank you.
Good call with the hairdryer Janice, and as to Pat having a hairdryer, we'll just not get in to that... [Wink]

--------------------
Ron

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2014 06:42 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"and as to Pat having a hairdryer, we'll just not get in to that.."
Pat also uses make-up [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

He's an actor. [Wink]

Jon

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2014 02:46 AM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon, Pat's reputation is saved again!
(phew!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ron

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC