8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Mag Striping on Super 8 test 2014

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mag Striping on Super 8 test 2014
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have been so busy the past month or so trying to get Steve Osborne's Bolex mag striper up n running.. It was first sent to Osi who eventually sent it to me to try and salvage it but after replacing the belt, fabricating new reel clamps, removing the old frozen pieces, cleaning, and testing I came to the realization that it just wasn't working (not to mention that the sprocket wheel actually had one broken sprocket on it) nor would it probably ever do a good job..

Luckily I was able to acquire a very clean one from Germany. I swapped out the 110 motor from Steve's and replaced the 220 German one, did some cleaning and ran a test yesterday that for all visible inspections was a successful one. The next step when I get some time next month will be to fully stripe a reel on both sides, record some sound and then run the reel multiple times to see how it all fairs.

Here is a video of the first test from yesterday.

Bolex Mag Strip test 2014

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 19, 2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool Dino. I've always wondered how one of these machines worked. Thanks for posting the video.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 19, 2014 02:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, are you going into the striping business?

I've started to think seriously about making a synchronized sound film and this is a piece of the puzzle.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2014 04:04 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve that is the plan...I told Steve Osborne I would be happy to try and get up n running on this stuff so that folks would have a place to get it done.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 19, 2014 04:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino

Well done! I hope all goes well with the next test run. Best of luck!

PatD

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 19, 2014 10:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just my curiosity, is the magnetic tape still available in the market? or can we make it by cutting the available magnetic tape, eg. reel to reel tape?

--------------------
Winbert

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2014 02:16 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wittner in Germany sells the supplies needed

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 20, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic Dino! I couldn't get it to work either, but at least you were able to piece one great unit out of two! KUDO's!!!

By the way, what kind of fixative did you use?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2014 12:19 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nice working weberling dual Main/Balance striper I bought off eBay Germany. I had been using an voltage adapter. It puts down main/balance at the same time. Paul Yost sent me some great instructions on how to use it. He still may have some stripe as well as Konton. I'll have to contact them both. Also have a small main striper you use with a projector. (Name is escaping me!) I have a fair amount of stripe for it as well. I'm very interested to see if you succeed in getting the Bolex up and runing!
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Jerome Sutter
Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Jerome Sutter   Email Jerome Sutter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for a very interesting video. Good Job!

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2014 09:17 AM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone on here offer to stripe polyester prints? I know the lab in Germany does it but its so damn expensive! Anyone here able to do this?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 02, 2014 10:00 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not unless there is anyone in the US, Adam. No one in the UK anymore which is why we are having to send our prints to Andec in Germany.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, does the unit you repaired also affix balance stripes?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2014 09:39 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, you beat me to this question Brad, I have one of these machines too, but I'm don't think it can attach the balance stripe. I hope I'm wrong on this though, as I have a few features to stripe up in the coming months.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2014 10:33 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't film without the balance stripe not project well? I thought the whole reason for the balance stripe was to balance the weight of the film so one side isn't heavier than the other so the film does't jerk around or sway during viewing. I remember buying a print years ago on line that turned out not having a balance stripe. When I asked the seller about it he said it wore off over the years, but that it played great on his unit. On my Chinon it played so poorly I remember turning it off, reversing the film out of the projector and disposing of it. I couldn't get a refund because the print was in excellent shape so it came down to it wasn't his fault my machine couldn't cope.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 09, 2014 12:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it seems that the balance strip, in addition of giving the same thickness on both side and permitting stereo sound, protects a little bit the film from lines (which was an unexpected "side effect").

--------------------
Dominique

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2014 02:33 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience not having a balance stripe has no detrimental effect on projection.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC