8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's New In Your World Of 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's New In Your World Of 8?
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 06, 2014 05:06 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from Andrew Gould (our latest new arrival),a very warm welcome Andrew;

What is new in your world of 8mm film collecting?

Not much has been posted lately on the subject matter of members newly acquired "assets," so I was interested to see just what has been purchased lately of excitement to new and established members of the forum.

To start things off, I recently picked up a decent CIR Deluxe S8 all metal bodied splicer for a reasonable price. I am not sure that I prefer it to my Agfa F 8S yet though, seems a whole lot more effort in use for the same end result to me. What do others think that have used both?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 04:09 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

The one advantage with a decent CIR splicer is the fact you punch your own holes and cut the splice from a length of tape, and tape in one form or another will be around for many years to come, can that be said of a decent supply of Agfa splices, methinks not!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 07, 2014 02:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Barry, that was my primary reason for wanting one plus the tape is relatively inexpensive compared to Hama tapes. It just takes a whole lot more effort to make a splice with these than the excellent automated Agfa F 8S.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 05:25 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Andrew, I've got a CIR too, and the Agfa splicer, which is just simple and brilliant. That CIR splicer were mega money but well made in all metal parts with good precision base plate and guides, but I still prefer the Agfa. It never gave me a bad splice, and you can get the spare patches too. Did you know the CIR had an attachment to splice stereo film, so that the splice didn't cover the balance stripe either. Both the Agfa and CIR got off Ebay, both for a bargain price as I remember, good old Ebay ah.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 08, 2014 02:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree entirely with your sentiments there Paul and I think while ever Hama splice tapes are still readily available, it will probably get little use.

Handy to have an alternative though if you want to keep back the relatively expensive Hama tapes for the joining of the better features I suppose.

Any talk on anyone else's newly acquired "goodies" on 8?

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 08, 2014 02:26 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, tell us more about the CIR stereo attachment. I have a metal CIR splicer too but for dual track work, I mostly rely on the Fujica Stereo Splicer.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 08, 2014 02:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul, I too am curious, as I see no provision on mine to allow the balance track to remain exposed after splicing with the CIR.

Having said that, the sound track on the balance stripe being covered for around 1/6th of a second max, has never really caused me any concern if I am honest. It would be even less than that using this splicer given the 9mm width of the tape.

More important to myself is the strength, accuracy and reliability through the gate of the splice itself.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 08, 2014 09:30 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, see my thread for "Whats your latest edition to your collection", film or equipment,
It seemed to start off ok but drifted back a bit [Wink]

Oh look, there it is [Big Grin] [Wink]

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, Jean, Yes I got this off ebay a while back, just had a look at the instructions to remind me how it does what, ok, when you splice with the plate on the cir you turn the film over first to attach the tape to the opposite side to the sound track and rap this tape around to the sound stripe side, this metal mask fits over the sprocket pins and exposes the frame only and hides both main and balance stripe, with the remaining tape this is then placed in this space and attached to the film frame. A good quality style scalpel is also supplied to cut the excess tape to just fit the frame space. I'll try and get some pictures for you and upload them, perhaps its not too clear an explanation from me. It was made by them and is very good quality, I had never seen one since or before. Jean, how does the Fuji splicer do this ?, is this similar to that.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 08, 2014 04:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Paul, unfortunately mine came with neither an instruction manual or scalpel, however describing the base plate in the manner you do, mine does seem identical if I obtained a scalpel so I look forward to your photographs Paul.

I do look regularly Tom at that post you started, it was great but like most, if a day or so goes by with no posting on them, they quickly become "out of sight, out of mind" unfortunately.
We all need to post on it to keep it current. I shall try and do my bit Tom now you have reminded me of it thanks.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2014 12:29 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Andrew, i'll copy the instructions if you need them for the CIR ?, the scalpel came with the add on plate and also came
with instructions. The plate looks like the gate of a projector
which is placed over the film before the tape is wrapped over to complete the join, this stops the tape covering the balance track, but allows it to be attached to the film frame, because
the tape does not reach the main track when wrapped around, this is then detached using the scalpel.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 03:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, that would be really helpful for me if you could e mail me the instructions thanks [Smile]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, the Fujica sero splicer uses pre-perforated tape. Once both ends of the film have been cut, they rest - soundtracks up - on a hinged base plate that you pull towards you, turning the film upside down. You then apply tape and press down the cutter. It will cut around the tape on the opposite side of the tracks and also leave a tiny rectangle of unstuck tape resting on a small metal peg. You turn the hinged base again, then move a lever that will bring the small peg exactly between the two tracks, you press gently with a finger while bringing the peg back to its resting position and voilą...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2014 11:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just recently rejoined the world of film collecting after a 24 year absence.I've purchased some projectors (waiting for belts on one) and slowing picking up digests on eBay.Back in the day I collected mostly 200' & 400' digests and am doing so once again.
Cheers,
Douglas

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 30, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won two films on E-bay the other day. They are compilations of 200 foot reels. I know the titles, I don't know if they are silent or sound, I'm not 100% sure if they are color, black and white, or faded to pink. (-one of those "I don't have a projector" auctions)

-but it's a no-lose scenario because they are arriving on two Elmo 800 foot reels which bust-out retail would run about what I paid for the two films. If nothing else it would give me the proper white take-up reel for my ST-800.

Here's to nice surprises!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one steve,gotta love the dont have a projector gang.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 30, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always that time of anticipation between buying a film and getting a film. (Usually 10 days from England, and a little under a week for E-bay.)

It's kind of a unique one this time: This could be anything from a feature length equivalent of glorious and prized footage to more than a quarter mile of utter crap!

-Time will tell!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 30, 2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way Steve, you've got two very nice reels coming your way [Wink]

--------------------

Timothy Duncan
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2014 07:33 PM      Profile for Timothy Duncan   Email Timothy Duncan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a new belt today for my B&H. I am waiting on my 2 eBay wins, one being a 50 foot reel of "Mighty Joe Young". Although those headliner reels are only a couple of minutes long, they are still fun to collect.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 01, 2014 04:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! I've struck gold!

What is on those two Elmo 800 foot reels is 1600 feet of Super-8 color film with sound in excellent condition.

What this is about is at my very core I am a collector of railroad films. It's what got me collecting film in the first place, and even though I've branched way out into other genres I will always have a weakness for a good train film, especially Sunday River Productions, who have been the object of my spare change since I was a teenager (long, long time...)

800 Foot Reel#1 is Sunday River's "Southern Pacific Steam" parts #1 through #4. Color is nice, sound is great. Only part one is duplicated in my collection and the existing one is silent.

800 Foot reel #2 is still a mystery: "Daylight World's Fair Excursion Train". The initial check was positive, but I don't know who produced it and I'm not sure what it's going to be like. That being said, since some things in life are meant to be savored, I'm saving that one for tomorrow!

(What a buildup: I hope it's not really awful!)

There's a lesson here in understanding what you are selling. The sum of the parts here is at least $150. But being that the seller couldn't describe what it was about I spent $40 on it and felt kind of uneasy even at that!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 02, 2014 08:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to finish the story:

That last reel is about 600 feet of camera original sound film shot of a special steam train the Southern Pacific sent from Portland Oregon to New Orleans for the 1984 Worlds Fair.

It is entirely without titles, has pretty obvious cement splices and about 10 seconds in pretty horrific focus. (I would'a cut this out! That's what scissors were invented for!)

There is also no leader or tail. (It just ends.)

-so there is no way this is a commercial print.

What's kind of special about this is in my collection there is camera original film (all mine) and there is sync sound film, but for the first time since 1978 there is a reel of film that is actually both.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC