8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Lamp needed for Bolex M8R

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lamp needed for Bolex M8R
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All, I have a Bolex M8R but the lamp seems to have blown. It was a 110v 300w A1/198. Does anyone have a spare they can sell me? If so please pm me and let me know how much including postage (UK). Thanks hugely in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2014 12:44 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chris,

There is a modern replacement lamp for that projector. Search for a CZX Lamp.

It's inexpensive and they are for sale on eBay.

Good luck

Jon

[ November 02, 2014, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Jon Addams ]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 02, 2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jon, never thought that in the US you still made 110 volts bulbs. It is good to know if old projectors bulbs become one day too hard to fine here.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2014 02:13 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Bolex M8R was adjustable for UK mains direct, also that it used a 500 watt lamp. This is the A1/7.
http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/m8r.html

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon, I had no idea, but can't see a 300w version on eBay UK. Maurice - that's interesting, maybe mine came with the wrong lamp to start with. I have a 110v 500w spare for my Specto 500 - do you think I'm ok to try that? I don't want to blow a rare lamp, but as you show, that website makes me think that it's ok. Many thanks in advance, Chris

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
As the projector is supposed to take a 500 watt lamp, I can see no reason why you can't use your Specto lamp, I assume it's the same pre-focus type.

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2014 02:55 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant, thanks Maurice, I'll give it a try probably tomorrow night and report back.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2014 02:57 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
You may find this of interest.
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/czx-120v%7c120v%7c500w%7cp28s~ansi.html

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 02, 2014 04:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, many projectionists want the most powerfull bulb, but some like me don't. I use a 200 watts on projectors that can accept 250 and I set the main voltage on a higher stop (240 volts instead of 220 volts) to lower the lamp power. I don't need for a home projection a too high brightness and I believe (but this is a controversy among memebers of this forum) that a too hot lamp may damage a film.

--------------------
Dominique

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2014 04:13 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This projector came with a 110V 500W lamp just like the CZX. I've been using it for years.

Jon

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2014 04:17 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom
That makes a lot of sense. It should extend the lamp life considerably and if you are only viewing for your own purpose it's not necessary to have maximum brightness. I always use the low setting on my Sankyo and Eumigs.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 02, 2014 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris is there a heat shield or little pane of glass or something.

Some of the old std 8 machines had a nasty of putting a lot of heat on to the std 8 film frame at 16/18 FPS and sort of lifting each frame out if you will. It looks a bit like each frame is raised a little.

The Bell and Howells with the 150 watt valve base lamp very close to the gate and no shield etc are very prone to doing that.

Best Mark.

PS when I used to run old bolex`s it heated my old terraced house sitting room nicely way back when.

Best Mark.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2014 03:48 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I just tried my 110v 500v lamp and every time I try to switch the Bolex on, the mains trips out. So I fear something worse than just the lamp is the issue. Sigh. Guess I'll park the machine till next time I see my friend Martyn Stevens who has the relevant gear and expertise to trace wherever the fault is (I have neither!). Thanks so much for all your advice.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 04, 2014 09:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean your mains trip when:-
1) plug in
or
2) motor switched on
or
3) lamp switched on

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2014 12:33 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Maurice. To my surprise it was when I switched the motor on, which is why I think it's not a good sign... Funny thing is, I have had this machine working. It ran a few reels then the lamp went mid-reel, the motor continuing. Maybe a capacitor or something like that has blown?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 05, 2014 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I regret that I do not know this projector model. Never even seen one. It's doubtful if it has a synchronous motor which needs a capacitor for starting, however, there will probably be a capacitor strapped across the motor connection for the suppression of motor sparks, etc. Radio suppression.

If it goes open-circuit there would be no obvious result, but if it's gone short circuited, there's your trouble, Tripping your cut-outs.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2014 02:58 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bolex M8 has a variable speed motor. Almost certainly a "universal" ac/dc type with carbon brushes. The Specto 500's used them and these motors need periodic attention and the electrical insulation to earth may well have failed.

[ November 05, 2014, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Paul Mason ]

--------------------
Paul.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2014 11:21 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
I have theses in stock
CZX DAB $36.00
Only bad part is the shipping for overseas from the USA
Priority mail is $26.00 insured
Rc

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Oh dear, it sounds like that machine will have to be banished to the garage pending a full enquiry. Thanks for all your help and advice.Richard - thank you, but I think I should wait till I've seen what else may be wrong with this projector.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2014 04:37 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Chris
Please keep us informed
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC