8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea X Pictures (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CineSea X Pictures
Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2014 03:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John would have been so proud of this event on how great it is and how people are enjoying it

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 10, 2014 07:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a great weekend: always something to look forward to in the weeks before.

It's interesting to think about it. It's basically a largish room with tables and films, and a bunch of projectors showing films. At face value, it sounds like something you should be through within an hour or two.

-but when you are there, there is this enthusiasm going on all around you and it's almost impossible to not get caught up in it. This is because of the people that are there, and it is really what it's all about.

This is basically the equivalent of a full day at work plus some pretty serious overtime, but it passes very quickly. Soon enough, or even too soon you are packed up and headed home, and probably thinking about the next one.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 10, 2014 08:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What wonderful pictures [Cool]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 15, 2014 02:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Notes from CineSea X

I finally got to Wildwood early on a Friday! Not as early as Thursday arrivals Claus Harding and Gary Crawford, but early enough to for us to set up the screen and decide on a different placement (the opposite direction) from previous shows. This worked out well since it allowed for a greater throw that enabled us to fill the entire 9' x 12' when projecting flat prints.

There were enough early arrivals for us to have an enjoyable group dinner on Friday evening and then finish setting up back at the Ocean Holiday. A possibility for future shows is to have a pre-show screening on Friday night, perhaps running an entire feature or at least longer reels than we do at the Saturday night screening.

Saturday was a warm, sunny, beautiful day. I was thrilled that Jon Addams and his son were able to attend along with first timers Jack Cleveland & Thad Komorowsky. My jaw dropped at the sight of the 16mm carbon arc projector that Joe Greisbach brought. Not only did John Cappazo make an amazing pumpkin cheesecake, he had the sound Castle Films 200' Rudolph Valentino, Idol of the Jazz Age print I'd been looking for.

-

T-shirts featuring our brand new logo, brilliantly designed by Jean-Marc Toussaint, were a big success. If Forum members are interested in getting one, please let me know.

The large group dinner on Saturday was a great experience (what an entertaining bunch of film folk!) with a beautiful sunset view at the Boathouse restaurant. Then the evening screening started. Gary Sloan and I operate our respective 16mm & Super 8mm projectors side by side, taking turns so that it feels (as someone had mentioned) like two DJs spinning at a club.

Various Super 8mm Openers & Daysets started the show, then came trailers for the classics Attack of the Crab Monsters & I was a Teenage Frankenstein. The 1933 cartoon Mickey's Gala Premier followed. That led into a 16mm short about Wildwood (home of CineSea) in the late 50's and early 60's provided by Joe G.. The order has become a blur, but we showed the Ken Films 400' digest of The Poseidon Adventure that I had re-recorded into stereo, Steve Klare's print of One Froggy Evening, a beautiful IB Tech 16mm print of Disney's Magic and Music, CHC's new Die Another Day extract in scope & stereo, a very funny 1942 Edgar Kennedy short Cooks and Crooks (16mm), Hitchcock's Psycho promo (nice sharp Super 8mm print), 16mm western trailers from the 30's & 40's, A Derann scope print of Tom & Jerry in Downbeat Bear, 16mm Matrix & Star Wars trailers, Daffy Duck in The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (16mm, courtesy of Thad K.), and formerly silent Ken Films 200' cutdowns The Spider & Public Enemy with new soundtracks added. I know I've forgotten a few titles……The screening ended at about 1 AM with the 1936 Polly Moran short The Dutchess (16mm, courtesy of Joe Vannicola). I had never seen any of Polly's short films and now I have to see them all. What a great film comic.

-

A first for CineSea was the use of digital projection to show the english subtitled trailer for Super 8 Madness, along with clips from the film provided by the makers of the documentary. This got a great reaction from the audience and i can't wait for the upcoming DVD release.

Thanks to every one who came, and a huge debt of gratitude is owed to Lou Franchetti. Shorty Caruso & John Black started CineSea, and Lou (along with his son) has made it happen, show after show.

With Claus doing such fantastic work taking pictures, I only took a few. And to me, these two pictures are what CineSea is all about…..having fun and enjoying film. Here we have Steve Klare's son Steven, proudly showing off his first, very own Super 8mm projector!

-

-

CineSea 11 will be held on Saturday, April 25th, 2015. Please join the fun!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 15, 2014 03:41 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the extra pictures, Doug. I was curious to see the t-shirt. Steven is probably one of the youngest ciné projectors' owners in the world !

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2014 03:46 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really enjoying the pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Cheers
Terry

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 15, 2014 03:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that smile on Steve's son's face says it all. Good to see an activity that father and son can enjoy together.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2014 05:44 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug for that extra review. What an excellent evening of films shown at the event. Well done to everyone.

Graham S

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 16, 2014 01:11 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve.. great to see Steven enjoying himself, that I think, sums up what its all about....Claus and Doug the pictures and write up are much appreciated...great stuff [Smile] [Smile]

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful pictures again claus you all look so happy and you can see you are all enjoying yourselves and that cake yummy

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2014 10:16 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot that's nice about the moment in those pictures, one of them is that Jon Addams was very helpful getting that machine up and running, and also he dropped by just in time to see it for himself!

That's the value of building community like we do: none of us can know everything and together we are a lot smarter than we can ever be on our own. Besides: it's more fun this way!

Steven has lead kind of a charmed life where this stuff is concerned. It took him a long time to realize that half the Dads in the neighborhood not only don't show movies this way, but have no idea it even exists.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2014 11:47 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea of showing a feature film on Friday is a good one. The two times I attended, I came two or three days early. Last year took the time to visit the local zoo in the Wildwood area and found it to be very pleasant. I also made a day trip to Atlantic City; not that I am much of a gambler but I enjoyed walking on the boardwalk. I also spent a day in Cape May.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2014 07:04 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, that was a great summary of the weekend...which, as always, seemed to be over just as it began. In April I hope to spend more time socializing and chatting and less time trying to sell stuff. Although any film collectors out there should consider Cinesea as a great place to sell. AND BUY.... You have a built in group of collectors in one place ..film collectors almost exclusively. Bring films, projector and rent a table for 20 dollars and you are in business. The hotel is only 65 dollars a night....most rooms are huge suites with full size kitchens. You cannot go wrong going to Cinesea.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 19, 2014 09:33 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with me there, Shorty

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC