8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » More exciting news from Edwin!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More exciting news from Edwin!
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 30, 2014 05:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For all Bauer Studioclass projector owners, I have just received another snippet of information following an enquiry to Edwin Van Eck in the Netherlands.

He is currently in the process of testing his latest 3D printed parts: the much sought after Cam & Claw plastic wear parts.

As it stands, the only current option to repair these machines is to send them to FFR in Germany for refurbishment. They will not supply individuals with the necessary spare parts due to their scarcity.

In the next few months, it appears Edwin is making his 3D replicas available to all! This is fantastic news to anyone who owns these machines, fully working or otherwise. It means very soon we will be able to repair these here in the UK or for that matter anywhere else!

This is by far the weakest link on these machines, so with this taken care of, anyone who has one of these beauties,can virtually guarantee its continued service for many many years to come.

Just fantastic news for any Bauer S8 enthusiast. Well done Edwin!!!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 30, 2014 07:28 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What goes here Andrew? Do the Bauer's have a premature wear issue with the cam and claw? I have never had to replace cams or claws on any of my Eumig's or Elmo's.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 30, 2014 07:38 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally had a claw wear out on my Bauer T610. The picture could not be framed properly once it went. Not fun!

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2014 03:46 AM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cam and claw are indeed the parts at Bauer machines which wear out early, if the Bauer is used frequently. Especially, if the cam is not well lubricatet. The Bauer ingenieurs used nylon for the cam-therefore these machines are so quiet.
The cam is worn out: You can notice that, when the frame line cannot be moved out of the picture at the screen( as Alan wrote ). I own a Bauer T600 with this fault. I was able to avoid this issue temporarily. There are 2 types of pressure plates at Bauer machines. The newer ones ( T610, T502.. ) have pressure plates with a smaller picture framing ( made of metal ).The frame line is now at the screen out of the picture. This will still function some time.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 03:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Paul, as has been well documented on here by me and by others,this is the only Achilles heel on these.

The reason they can perform so quietly in normal circumstances is down to their unique design of utilizing a nylon cam (nothing unusual there) but also a change out part on the claw itself which is a nylon follower.

After many years of use, especially if the special grease has not been applied often, they can and do wear out.

You then get exactly what Rik describes, jitter in the projected image as well as an inability to correctly frame as the cam lobe or follower or both, have worn to a point where it is not going up or down enough to grab the perforations properly. In other words the stroke pitch becomes too small.

When this happens you have to change out both parts.
As said, this involved sending PJ to Germany but now,no more!

I have been using mine now for two years solid since its return and by lubricating it with the correct special silicone grease as well as lubricating the felt pad with silicone oil,it works as well as when it was new.

I had to do all framing and in and out movement adjustments on mine from scratch when I first got it back from Germany as it just wasn't running as it should despite having all new wear parts fitted.

I now know these machines inside and out and have removed the whole shutter shaft on several occasions to eventually perfect the mechanism (not for the faint hearted!)

The point is, despite this one weakness (which by the way is actually a design advantage while ever the machine runs well as it is near silent, much quieter than a S938 to give you some idea Paul), they are well worth any inconvenience as they just handle film and the threading of film so delicately when working as they should.

With this new set of excellent news, I feel I could keep my machine running for another 20 years or more now once I purchase these invaluable spares.

I placed a bid on e bay Germany last year for a new genuine spare Bauer "Noken" or Nylon cam to us English for £100!

I didn't even win it, it finally sold for close to £130 all for a one inch piece of eccentrically machined plastic!

That just gives you some idea as to how much these parts are in demand, especially in Germany!!

I rate these machines above all else in the home environment. They are just perfect. Sure the Beaulieu Stereo is better in many many ways, not least because of its ultra bright image on 2 blade shutter mode, but it isn't as quiet in the home and it isn't as easy to do decent synched recordings on due to the fact it is designed as a big reel machine.

I love them both, but for a quiet refined projector in the home the Bauer T610 is the best there is IMHO especially when used with long play arms as this eliminates any reel noise or screech as well as giving you a 3000ft capacity. True HCH!!!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 09:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have zero experience with Bauer's Andrew, but I very much respect your opinion and they sound (or should I say don't sound [Big Grin] ) like a great machine. I think the bottom line here is that all the top level machines have some peculiar design weakness in addition to their considerable strengths, and none of them are totally perfect - just way better than the rest of the pack. Eumig's have head wear problems, Bauer's apparently have the cam issue, and GS1200'S, despite being a great performer, have a bit of a laundry list!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 09:38 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite correct Paul, but this is not a problem that surfaces often and now I know, with regular lubrication, I would expect to get a minimum of 5 years out of mine and that is using it regularly and for many hours at a time.

Once these spares are available from Edwin in the next few weeks, I consider these machines up there with the very best for future proof super 8 viewing. Something that couldn't easily be said before this announcement due to the scarcity of these parts and the prohibitive cost of sending to Germany if you are outside Europe just as Rik found when his failed.

With the necessary skilled people to carry out the work, this is no longer an issue no matter whereabouts you are in the world.

Edwin informed me also he is looking into getting some replica Woelke SA 464 FK Mag Heads manufactured, which is more excellent news for both Bauer and Beaulieu owners if he can pull it off (so to speak!) Ha ha.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 31, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great if he could also do Eumig 900 series heads.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Edwin van Eck
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Edwin van Eck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Here an update from me about the progress on the 3D printing projects were are doing. We have hired now 2 extra technicians for the 3D printing.

The cam and claw for the Bauer Studioline projectors is now ready. We will be testing it the comings weeks on some of our own filmscanners where the cam is worn out. I hope this works well. When it is ready will be announce in on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/vaneckvideo

Please have a look at this page for the parts we have in stock today already!

We are currently working on: Bauer T12s wormwheels, Hocushin SC-10 new nylon cam part (for the automatic film intake), Pulley for Heurtier P24B and reel holders for Bauer studioline projectors.

--------------------
Edwin van Eck
Van Eck Video Services

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 14, 2015 01:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Please just send me a mail Edwin once the cam and claw attachments have been tested to your satisfaction. I will then purchase some spares for my own T610. Keep up the excellent work Edwin, Most appreciated!!

[ February 15, 2015, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC