8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Not so good Star Wars deal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not so good Star Wars deal
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 10:23 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars Digest Ebay

I'm thinking red, with a touch of vinegar!

Cheers
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 01:51 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just another example of a total tosser on ebay who has no clue. All I can say is, there may be an even bigger toss pot who would buy it.
Its total dough brains like this that make ebay the trashy place it often is. When I list something,(as I have said before) I start it at what I consider an OK price, then if it goes for good bucks its because someone wants it and wants to pay it. This listing is the sort that ebay should have starting price restrictions on. If its new and sealed how can this twat even know if the colours still ok, and I notice the word vintage pops up a lot on Super 8 listings now. Jeepers creepers! [Mad]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 02:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly the same philosophy as Ian O Reily, Tom... and the right one!

I know Ian often got disparaging comments for the films he sold using this principle, however he, or anyone else cannot be criticized for any huge amounts of money a film happens to sell for if he starts it off at reasonable cost.

If only everyone worked by this very same principle. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 02:29 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we'll see more of this as the new Star Wars movie draws near.I agree,more clueless sellers demanding high prices because of the title on the box.I wonder how many of these prints still have any decent color left.Not many I suppose... [Wink]

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 02:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the 2x400ft cutdown and it really isn't bad at all for colour but I know there are many short prints out there now that are totally red and completely knackered with it due to being run on all kinds of silly machines.

--------------------

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the 200' foot version came out first,I wonder if any of those have held their color.I am amused when sellers say "rare" on those prints,since it was probably the most widely produced Super-8 digest of all time.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Douglas and the very first film I ever projected on my first Super 8mm Sound Projector all the way back in 1977!.........The Agfa Sonnector LS [Wink] [Smile]

The order of play on Christmas Day went something along the lines of this:-

1/ Star Wars - 200ft Extract - "Run Luke Run!"
2/ Disneys Greatest Chases - "A Chase Is A Chase Is A Chase.."
3/The Sound Of Music 400ft cutdown - "no quote necessary!" lol
4/ Hong Kong Phooey - 400ft double edition. TV or Not TV & can't remember the other edition right this second ha ha.

The Bug began that very day with sound film and is still as strong, if not stronger than ever, to this very day!

Just watched the Derann 600ft edition of "The Small One" after spending most of today servicing one of my 610's.

-

What a sensational Don Bluth Classic that is!! [Razz]
One of my Crown Jewels of Super 8 that's for sure!

[ June 26, 2015, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 03:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you had a very wonderful Christmas that year Andrew!I got my first projector in the Summer of 1978.A Bell & Howell model ( I believe it was one of the Lumina series) along with two Castle/Universal 8 Films: Frankenstein & House of Frankenstein!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 26, 2015 03:30 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous stuff Douglas!! [Smile] [Smile]

I count myself very lucky to have been born just at the right time to get into this when all this stuff was brand new to us all.

--------------------

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 01:31 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also seen Planet Of The apes films on 200ft colour digests listed like this - Am I right in thinking that the film still turns red over time even if sealed?

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 01:48 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton,
This sadly does tend to be true.Of course how the print has been stored can impact fading as well (too warm for instance.)
Dougla

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 04:05 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard two contradictory statments : 1)Colours are damaged each time the film is projected (hence the advises like shooting at 24fps, lowing the bulb power...) 2)Projecting a film fixes the colours on it. So, what is the right one ? Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer ?

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure colour fade is very much luck of the draw, anything on certain colour stocks will fade, some faster than others. Films I know we have that are fine we see on here from other collectors turned red or fading. I see some of my own prints that have fade,(not too many thankfully), but others on here have super colour versions of the same film. Apart from the stock if films are stored in a dark cold ,(but dry) room they may last longer, if there kept on open shelves in a hallway or room which gets very warm then they may certainly fade faster.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC