8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Suggestions for removing melted roller.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestions for removing melted roller.
Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2015 10:15 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a Bell & Howell 458A today at a church sale.The rubber film roller has melted,which is common on these old machines.Does anyone have a suggestion for a safe (and hopefully) easy way to remove the goo from the metal roller? Thanks!

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 26, 2015 10:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found 90% alcohol does the best job...If you have any GooGone add that to the alcohol. They work really well together. I just cleaned up a very time-abused Elmo where all the belts had turned into a gooey mess resembling the Le Brea Tar Pit. It's sparkling clean now [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2015 01:46 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,
Thank you for the tip,it worked like a charm!I ordered a new roller on eBay tonight plus a spare belt.The motor appears to be working strong with the tests I've ran tonight.Again,thank you so much for the help...Douglas

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Narendra Singh
Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2015 01:50 PM      Profile for Narendra Singh   Email Narendra Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have been visiting this site for quite sometime but became a member just 3 days ago and I am happy that I did so.

I find this site to be very helpful for the 8mm & 16mm hobbyists with lots of well experienced members who are always willing to help, advise and share their experience.

Thank you Janice for your suggestion of adding Goo-Gone to Alcohol.

I gave it a try and it worked wonders. Earlier I used only Alcohol (91% Isopropyl Alcohol) which took a lot of time & effort in removing the gooey mess plus wasting a lot of alcohol in the process. Mixture of Alcohol + Goo-Gone (I used approx. proportion of Alcohol:Goo-Gone::5:1) has made clening & removing the mess much faster and easier. THANK YOU Sir!

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2015 04:48 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Narendra.

Narendra Singh
Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2015 05:08 PM      Profile for Narendra Singh   Email Narendra Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for the warm welcome Barry.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. A very respected projector repair person recommended the automobile product, Gumout. It worked miracles for cleaning out the black slime ,etc on an old st1200hd.

Narendra Singh
Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2015 09:39 PM      Profile for Narendra Singh   Email Narendra Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for the welcome Gary.

Nice to know that there are other substances that do the job equally well. However I am most satisfied by the quick and easy results I got from the Goo Gone - Acetone combo. I was myself surprised by the excellent results. So I will stick with this. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC