8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New Release News - True Lies & James Bond! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Release News - True Lies & James Bond!
John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 11:14 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, I'm not aware of which "film collectors" you're referencing, but aren't these releases "sabotaging" copyright? Or were the proper rights clearances achieved? In my daily work, I have to abide by and adhere to copyright laws and regulations, as it's a very serious requirement.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 11:19 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The likelihood of up to date releases after 2000 ever being released on super 8 are zilch. Now with most cinemas are digital there will be no film prints remaining in circulation. 16mm collectors adjusted to this reality from mid 1980s onwards. True Lies may not two or three years old but it ain't The Jazz Singer either. It would actually benefit as a mini feature with the best scenes making a cracker digest. The James Bond feature the Spy who loved me would be one of the better Moore movies. If the quality was fine it would be a purchase I would make but to each their own. If no one makes an effort to buy new releases the prophecy will be self fulfilling.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 26, 2015 11:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey no negativity is intended, i would love to be able to order both and also captain america, unfortunately its just way out of my price range, even if i sold a few items,(as i have done, to raise the dosh the idea of selling lots of films to get only one back isn't too appealing, but all you wealthy chaps out there get ordering, [Big Grin] [Wink]
I look forward to the reviews so i can be jealous [Wink]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 11:47 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom I know you are a collector as are many others. It is however noticeable that some of the normally vocal are curiously silent.😸😸

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Mike.

It is such an interesting subject...but, and I hate to say it..any new releases in 8mm need "cash"...to produce and then hopefully through subsequent release, enough revenue to break even. I know that Phil Sheard has not just exhausted time and physical effort into keeping this hobby alive - BUT HIS own money also. He has taken quite a few "hits" as it were (cash wise having to absorb ventures)..and he is a smashing fellow and a friend of mine. So..hmm..well - as we all have different ideas as to what would make a good "release".....we need deep pockets and certainly collective agreement to support it, oh and obviously available material...then we get the copyright scenario. Like I said..interesting subject. Incidentally, I would love to have had a nice 2 x 400 (full reels please) of something like "Enter the Dragon". Now that would be a great release. What a great 40 minutes digest that would make - perfection. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2015 04:01 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be worthwhile mentioning: a few weeks ago I was given a mint, never screened print of "Once Upon a Time in the West" to conform sound on and -guess what? It was printed on poly AND it had both stripes!!!! So probably there is some novelty on this side but I haven't enquired with the lab yet. Andrew perhaps you can start buying new prints [Big Grin] and , yes the sound quality was between good and very good.

--------------------
Maurizio

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 04:05 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit i was very surprised some time ago when Phil asked who be interested in the Universal classic horror features and he told me he shelved it as not one person gave a definite order.
It must be difficult to decide what to release and what will sell, as Mark said, it all depends on what is available etc.
When you think that the last biggy release from Derann was Master & Commander,(& looking back i wish i had put myself down for that run of prints, i had the chance but had to pull out!! [Confused] )
That was not a title i would have said would be popular but it was and i think i am right in saying they did sell there minimum required number of prints. I really would love the True Lies cut down but unfortunately its all about cash, oddly enough i just recently invested in the T610 Bauer, i could well have bought many films for what i paid for it, especially as i already have more than enough projectors.
This weekend i will be taking stock of some of our collection & machines and start thinning out. I have my Elf NT1 16mm all up and running as this is the first bunch to go. Its over 7 years since we watched any of our 16mm so what is the point of having it all sat around. Time to move on and either, invest in a few expensive 8mm movies or possibly look,(at last), into moving into digital projection along side of my 8. [Wink]
Dare i cause a bit of controversy here, but i wonder if the next Bond feature to be released on super 8 was either a Daniel Craig or Timothy Dalton bond, would these titles be more popular, much more action etc?? I do know the chances of any of the material being available are zero on these particular Bonds.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2015 04:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

If you wanted later Bond movies on film surely your best bet would be to keep one of your 16mm machines as Moore / Dalton / Brosnan Bond features come up for sale fairly regularly on 16mm at below half the price of a newly struck Super 8 feature?

Kevin

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 06:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, you're twin striped polyester new product is pleasing to hear of.
I hope you find out its origins.

More of this in great quality picture and sound and I would now definitely buy new features.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, you're Lucky to be given new releases :-)

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 07:10 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, i didn't know that [Eek!]
I will have a re-think, i must admit to never checking any 16mm lists or sales purely due to thinking 8mm only, thanks for that tip. Wonder what else im missing

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 07:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Still not cheap though Tom by any means for top titles on LPP. Regularly see incredible titles for well over $1000 on 16mm despite never owning any.

I would never have the room for the films or the equipment. Also because of the noise I'd want a separate projection booth and preferably an actual dedicated home cinema room.

If I got a lottery win then definitely, otherwise it'll always be Super 8mm and digital for me.

I love em both for very different reasons.

Having waited until now Tom before getting into digital projection, I think you would be sensationally blown away by the magnificent image quality offered by even reasonably priced decent machines in this era now.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 07:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your right there [Wink]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 07:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely its all about supporting the new releases in order to sustain the possibility of further releases? Mind you after supporting and going along again to young Phil's last interesting open film collector day we were really surprised that other collectors with such strong views on various sites did not support his brilliant efforts.

Well done Classic for your continued and appreciated efforts in the UK for film collectors.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 07:33 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah i have to agree with you there Lee, if i ever win the lotto ill buy every new release. It also ,(obviously), keeps the second hand market going.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 07:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not being a gambler and promising myself since Derann went I would try and buy at least one new film each year we have the cine savings fund.

Another great issue of Reel Image by the way folks and even more super 8 camera film on offer 'ScotchChrome' from Steve.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 cartriges ara also available from France but stock is limited. It's a new Kahl 50 asa stock but reserved for good customers, so, unless you're in their files, you cannot order it from their website. The price (49,20 euros) includes the process, by Kahl, and the return post and packing) http://www.cine-super8.net/index.php?pg=produits&prod=Films+Super8

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 11:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,being a shift worker on annualized hours, means I have to be in work whenever scheduled to be there.

This in turn means in my particular case I can no longer have a season ticket and miss plenty of cine events etc etc.

It's just the way it is sadly for many many people nowadays. Your lives are part owned by our employers and for a lot of us, we just have to make the most from whatever time we are given or forced to be off. Often a rainy week mid February when nothing is particularly happening in either the cine or footballing world.

Gone are the days of 9 to 5 or Monday to Friday working week for all too many of us now sadly.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2015 12:49 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew and Dominique, the print was not mine: I had to return it after dubbing it in Italian (it came with blank stripes).
As long as I know, the print was from the usual channel we all know of. I recall asking the German lab some time ago, about what the problem was to stripe both tracks on poly prints: the guy was not what I'd say "informative", but he said perhaps in the future they would be able to stripe both tracks. So probably the moment has just come... Perhaps I'll indulge in a brand new print on mylar of Capt. American, nice on a full 800' spool which I'll record in stereo (after all I already have the sound masters I made for a few Italian collectors [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 01:38 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do purchase this Maurizio, please let us know what you think of the print quality and in particular the dual stripe quality. I do hope you are pleased with both once you receive it.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I can tell you right now: so far I dubbed 3 prints of Capt. America, 2 on acetate and one on poly; I prefer the latter it looks "cleaner" and a little bit more saturated and contrasty (which I like), even if it's not very easy to tell, as I didn't have the chance to perform a side by side comparison. So based on memory, I'd rather go for the poly print.
As regards sound quality, there was only one track on the poly print of Capt America I worked on and its quality was on par with the best tracks I happened to record on. The tracks on the (much) more recent print of Once Upon a Time in the West were slightly different in color but well laid and smoothed; sound wise they performed really well: excellent maximum output, low distortion at momentary peak levels (+2 dB VU or more) very good dynamic range, low hiss noise and overall good frequency response. From the stand point of bias capability, these tracks do not pose any problems at all: old recordings are erased 100%, no perceivable traces thereof are left even if no new sound is added. Treble sound output is never shrill and unpleasant unless you record over level... [Razz]

Of course at this point my considerations are worth something only if the lab is consistent in their quality, but I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't be. In any case IF and when I receive my possible print, I'll gladly share my views with you, guys.

--------------------
Maurizio

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 27, 2015 04:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, those words you have spoken are extremely encouraging to someone like myself! Especially regarding the mono Polyester print which if I'm honest, I prefer 100 times more over acetate.

I could live with mono only single striped prints so long as I knew as an absolute certainty that the quality was consistently spot on given the importance of the pasted stripe when you only have one!!

I am extremely excited awaiting your future report regarding C.A.

If it is all good, I will begin ordering many new features again so long as the waiting time isn't excessive and I can definitely have them in Polyester.

Thank you for the update Maurizio. [Wink]

[ September 27, 2015, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 03, 2016 05:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHC has just announced that True Lies is going to be available soon (but it seems that the first copies will be reserved for the pre orders). Altough, there is no mention of the price. Does anyone know this information (if you buy it from CHC as it is closer for me than The Reel Image) ?

--------------------
Dominique

Jason Schmidt
Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2016 06:03 PM      Profile for Jason Schmidt   Email Jason Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems getting any info on most of these kinds of things is like pulling hens teeth - no wonder they have a hard time getting pre-orders. I sent Phil an email a month ago asking about new releases and was told "check out the website and december list". So on the December list from CHC I sent a note to purchase several items from the "Super 8 Releases" section only to be told they were sold out, fair enough, but the same items are still listed on the January list. I mean how hard is to keep the list somewhat up to date?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 04, 2016 04:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Dom. We always used to get our names down early to secure a print of the first run from the negative in olden days. [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC