8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Workprinter HD film transfer with Mac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Workprinter HD film transfer with Mac
Craig McDowall
Junior

- posted March 06, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Craig McDowall   Author's Homepage   Email Craig McDowall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gang
I have a Workprinter HD film transfer machine and have Blackmagic installed and the capturemate software. Never got around to doing anything with this set up but now retired and want to give it a go. Know the WP isn't supported anymore by moviestuff. Anyone on this forum used this set up and can give me some guidance?
thanks in advance

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 06, 2016 05:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have WP-XP with Blackmagic, Cinecap, and Canon HV40 camcorder ..but on PC. What camera are you using?..and what specific questions do you have?

[ March 06, 2016, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2016 11:39 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are serious about the transfers you should look into the latest Moviestuff unit the Universal RetroScan because it finally provides some options no other transfer unit does. The new unit is fully modifiable so that as camera technology increases you just pop out the camera, and plug in the newer higher resolution camera. If anything on it malfunctions, just pop it off and replace it with a new rewind motor, or LED, etc. PLUS the actual lenses used are C-Mount lenses, so virtually any lens from a 16mm camera could be hooked up and used....It is finally the transfer unit I have been waiting for someone to make for years, because I won't have to purchase another one for my small gauge material.....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 07, 2016 01:51 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Us Workprinter owners are left on our own now since support was discontinued some time ago. I don't do enough transfers to warrant a RetroSan....but good to hear it has become so modular and adaptable. It has come a long long way in development. Glad it's working out so well for you Dino [Smile]

[ March 07, 2016, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Craig McDowall
Junior

- posted March 09, 2016 06:18 PM      Profile for Craig McDowall   Author's Homepage   Email Craig McDowall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice and others:
Thanks for the replies. I have a 2008 Mac tower with a Mac Cinema display. Have Blackmagic installed and bought the Mac Capturemate software that Roger suggested. Also bought (but not installed yet) Windows XP Professional which Roger stated should work. So about ready to give it a go.
I know the Retro8 is the best version yet but being in Canada you're talking another 40% on the dollar. And the camera I use is a Panasonic XH A1.
Craig

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 09, 2016 11:49 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig...I'm a little confused if you are using a MAC...why would you need Windows XP? Capturemate is made to run under the Mac OS and your Blackmagic software should be for the Mac also. Also... Are you planning shooting off the mirror and lens unit or directly off the film gate? If you are shooting off the field lens image then the XH-A1 (by the way it's a Canon....not a Panasonic) will work very well. I have the same camera and used it for many of my early transfers. However, it will not work well if you are shooting off the gate...XH-A1 is too tall. You can't get close enough to focus and fill the image...even with a macro lens, because the handle/microphone hits the supply reel. Even with a 200ft reel you can't get the camera lens close enough. The XH-A1 doesn't have a HDMI port...but you can use your component cables for HD captures.

--------------------
Janice

Craig McDowall
Junior

- posted March 10, 2016 10:41 AM      Profile for Craig McDowall   Author's Homepage   Email Craig McDowall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
Geesh . . you'd think I knew what camera I had. Obviously its a Canon. Was told I needed that windows software but guess I don't. And yes, I will be shooting off the mirror. Understand it is very tricky to get it right to fill the frame of the film so when I set this up and get going should probably put marks on the floor of my video editing room for placing the tripod.
Really appreciate your assistance.
Craig

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC