8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Laurel and Hardy on Starline Movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laurel and Hardy on Starline Movies
Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 03:03 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently given a collection of super 8 film and amongst them was a mint condition 400 ft sound film called HOME HELPS starring Laurel and Hardy, released by Starline Movies. Its the first time I have come across this company and wonder what else they released. Does anyone know anything about them? What else did they release in super 8 sound?

As for HOME HELPS, does anyone know what the real title is? L and H go into an employment agency to find work, and ovehear the receptionist taking a call from someone looking for a maid and butler, so dress up and apply for the job.

The picture quality is remarkably good compared to Walton and Blackhawk releases. Sharp, good contrast and a very clear soundtrack. The box would suggest a standard 8 silent film but this one is super 8 sound.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 03:13 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that title is not home helps I just cannot think of the title of that one my mind is a blank perhaps shorty knows off the top of his head.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 03:16 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the opening from Chumps at Oxford. Starline was a title name for Mountain / Portland.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 03:20 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the storyline for "another fine mess ", James Finlayson plays an aristocrat called "buckshot" but olly gets his wrong, plumbtree, appletree, and figleaf.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 22, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only you had acquired some RKo shorts - Cheers, Shorty

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 04:39 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the digest link for Chumps at Oxford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mptkDL73VQ

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 05:30 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's it. It's the first 15 minutes of A Chump At Oxford

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 01:56 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's The start of Chumps at Oxford. But can be confused with Another Fine Mess because the beginning is the similar in as much that they take the part of butler and maid in both films.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 02:12 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You obviously haven't watched Chumps at Oxford too much Terry. It was a routine they repeated a number of times from Duck Soup onwards and no that is not the Marx Bros movie

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 02:24 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - I've already edited my post. Chumps is one of my favourite L&H films but I haven't watched it for a while and you're right they repeat scenarios in many of their films ( something Carlie Chaplin critisised them for ) and it is easy to confuse their films because of it. Thanks for correcting me.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 04:25 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not an issue Terry. They did repeat routines many times and for some reason the dinner party scene before pre bank sequence isn't one that people remember. Did Walton edit the feature release to exclude this scene and was this 400 something that could be edited into the release?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 06:30 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really answer that Mike. I only have the full feature on 16mm which of course includes the scene mentioned in the start of this thread.
There was a link added to a post on this thread that doesn't work for me.
I don't know if other members have encountered this problem, but for some reason the links added to a post sometimes don't work. Is this something that is peculiar to ipads or is it more general?

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 11:24 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if Starline were before Mountain Films. Also Heritage Films were like pre Mountain. One thing the L & H films released by them were complete. The features from Walton were all edited to 6 reels, 3 x 400ft.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2016 03:52 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The part 3 (reels 5 & 6 of original feature) of Chumps at Oxford I bought from CHC is a Starline films release. That reel part works well as an self-contained extract too.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an 42 minute American release of Chump At Oxford that is a streamliner, and a 63 minute that was produced for foreign markets..

After the original 42 production had ended, Hal Roach returned to the studio afterwards, and filmed additional scenes to the streamliner because it was more desirable for foreign markets. There are different takes in the bank sequence between the two films that are evident in the Blackhawk Films editions.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC