8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 .......Affordable (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: GS1200 .......Affordable
Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 07:35 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like chrome or nickel plating. What's more concerning is what has caused this ?. I would remove the flaky bits completely as best as you can, leaving no bits. The curved metal guide does not appear to have suffered any damage which is odd, so perhaps it was a badly coated part form the factory ?.It does nothing but hold the sound heads and guides, so I think it could be reused with out any danger of damage to the film. I believe this is aluminium/mazack, a high pressure die casting because of the flash lines around the edges, then machined after. Some times the alloy starts oxidizing under the plating we maybe seeing this. But its better without it Phil.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 07:48 AM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I would mention that this head holder casting is not the same as the ST1200HD, also it is much better to fit the original metal type, as these holders have friction on them with a small roller pushing the film down onto the holder, I have seen them wear flat after many, many hours of use.
Leon Norris does have some, make sure you ask for a mark 2 holder (for backward loop) as the mark 1 is not the same.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 08:09 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

Thanks for these détails.

Have you got a picture for ST1200 Carrier (I understand there are some differences, may I can manage with that)

Thanks in advance

Andrew, considering this part, I have a quite simple idea :

If this part is "still" available as brand new and at reasonnable price, I can buy it......

If available at "de-reasonnable" price, I manage to machine it from an aluminium bloc (AU4G, AG5....) including upgradings (tiny roller-bearings for exemple...)
I need ,at least , 3 days of M/H to work out the main part....

Alternative solution is to strip off an "old" ST1200 and to pick up the parts providing it's in good condition.
Moreover the picked up parts needs any change to fit properly on GS1200 (as I understood from last reply posted)

Phil

NB

Who is Leon Norris ?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 08:26 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, Leon Norris is 'Mister Elmo USA'. He is an expert in GS1200 repair and restoration, and has an extensive inventory of spare parts. Leon is a great guy with a real love of the GS1200, and he loves to talk on the phone!
His number in the USA is 610-272-3205
I'm sure he will have the part you need.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 08:40 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer.

Does Leon lives on East Coast or West Coast (Time lag is quite different for me).

May be I can send him an Email , if available....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 09:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Bill with his expertise and then Leon hopefully with his excellent spares inventory, it looks like things may be all sorted for you here Phil!

What a great forum this really is! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 09:31 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, the best from my side, is to send a Email to Léon, as I can join pictures for specific points.

I do not speak English so often I write, so speaking with him is a very good idea but even he speaks without any "accent" , this is for me like a second level in difficulties.
Anyway , I can try...

NB

I have just found a TIP here concerning Leon . It seems he doesn't work too much with Email.
However His line is coupled with a fax, so I can try to send a fax from my mail box.
Then, a problem is he only accepts cash (or check).......nothing is easy

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2016 09:38 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to communicate with Leon by e-mail you are going to need to ask him directly for that.

I e-mailed down there a few months ago and he called me on the phone (...no surprise) and started asking me questions about the problem. I asked him "Did you read my E-mail?" and he said "Oh, I never touch that. My wife told me to call you."

I have to give him a lot of credit, he did his best to help me.

(Don't worry about accents, everybody has one!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 09:43 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply Steve.

What about time Lag ?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

He (and I) are about six hours behind you if you mean time zones.

If you mean response time, you'll probably hear back within a day or two.

Leon's medium is definitely the telephone, he may insist on calling you.

Steve Osborne used to respond to e-mails with post cards. Lately he's taken to responding to e-mails with e-mails: takes some of the fun out of it! Usually the mail is just bills: it's nice to get something happy for a change!

(-some day I may send HIM a postcard just to see what he does!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 10:16 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, 6 hours time lag is perfect (Same lag than "French Indies")

I have to calculate what is the best period for calling , taking account USA working/opening hours.

Back to the works involved by this machine and considering that "PCOM" module is a "touchy" Item (could be hard to repair if it fails) , taking account age of the "Vintage" machine, I plan to replace all Electrolitics Caps in "preventive and primary" action , especially for strategic areas (Power Inputs, Filters around processors, etc...) .
This is what I did on My Beaulieu 708EL ST (More than 42 Caps replaced = 3 days M/H approx) and I am happy for the pay back....

[ October 28, 2016, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, just called Leon and he has the NEW part you need. He said he can be reached by phone anytime from 10am to 5pm EST.
I gave him your name so he has a heads up.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul,

This is a great new....

I let you know upon my calling.

Sometimes , I ask myself why days lasts 24 hours only....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 01:48 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the parts books for both the HD and GS series, i will see if they are the same, if they are then it should be easy to get a new one or good second hand one. [Wink]

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 02:35 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, this is a good way ....

I tried to find something in "GS1200 Service Manual" , available on the Web , parts are well illustrated but there is no chart showing references for any part.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 29, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, follow me on this, hopefully it will make sense,
Picture one here is from the Parts book of the Elmo ST1200/D/HD here, look at item 30, this is the head holder,& the part number is 4P20608
 -

Now look at this next image which is from the GS1200 Parts book,the part number is also 4P20608 so they are the same holders and pressure pads as fitted in the Elmo D/HD projectors. At least this may help finding one as there are many of these machines around. Hope this is of help for you [Wink]

-

If you want me to email you these full size let me know as having to reduce them on here makes them a lot less in quality.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 08:59 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, Thanks for your researchs , very helpfull (That gives me more ideas) !!

More détails and pictures.......

A) S/N : 300077 (To give an idea of manufacturing era)

-

B) Back Cover removed

-

C) Bottom Plate Removed

-

D) Closed Picture from (Supposed) Main "PCOM" Card

-

E) Closed Picture from (Supposed) Main Chip M58840-610P (Mitsu)

-

F) At work with a Test movie (Light Off)

-

-

G) This part has been removed as suspected to make small line on the film (Machine seems to work properly without this lever, for magnetic sound at least)

-

H) At this Time I found only MC14584B (small 14 pins) from Motorola , otherwise many Toshiba chips are installed

In summary,after a good servicing for Rollers, Flywheel Ball Bearings (slightly noisy) the machine is smoother, quietter.

A new problem appears with Slide Switch (Left Panel) called PULSE/NORMAL/ESS:
A bad electrical contact make the main motor to stop (SW on NORMAL position).
So , it looks like a non-standard switch, and very difficult to removed without peeling off decal.

KF has no more effect ....

[ October 29, 2016, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 29, 2016 10:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What does KF mean Phil?

I must admit, from memory, the part you are seeking appeared the exact same I remembered from my own ST 1200HD that I once had.

I wasn't for one second going to question Bill's expertise however regarding the Elmos.

It does appear the case though now, certainly perhaps for the early original GS1200 from what Tom has revealed here regarding the part numbers.

Bill may still be right though here Phil with your later GS1200 with the reversed lower loop.

Perhaps this head holder changed on the later models?

I must admit, I don't remember my own head holder appearing as though it had any special plating on the ST1200 HD with mag/opt facilities.

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 10:37 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, KF is the special spray for contact (solvent + Lubricating)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 29, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I am so happy for you. What a great project. You have been helping me and many others with electrical issues on our projectors. It's now time for you to work on one of your own and what a beauty it is. Congratulations for getting such a top-of-the-line projector and for such a great price. Can't wait to read the progress you make in replacing the parts. Everything sounds very promising for you to get this machine restored.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,

Thanks for your comments. Even if low cost, it is wasn't the right time for me to buy that, anyway, what's done is done......
Right now the machine can work quietly for essential.
But now, as I have identified particular points to upgrade in medium-terms , the work load is increasing....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 29, 2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only echo each of Janice's sentiments and as I said previously, I feel this machine couldn't have landed in better hands.

I know you have all the skills and dedication necessary to restore this gem to all of its former glory!

Sorry I'd never come across KF here btw.
I just use Servisol for such applications. [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 12:40 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have try to call Leon this afternoon (17h30 Paris Time), That rings up to a disk or Fax tone.....

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2016 06:33 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I try to call LEON again this afternoon (French Hours).

I call Saturday, unfortunately , I got a only disk then a fax tone....

To follow

Bob Loehr
Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2016 07:26 AM      Profile for Bob Loehr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone paid the amount of 369 Euros just for the 1.0 lens recently:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Elmo-Zoom-Lens-1-1-0-12-5-30-mm-2-Jahre-GARANTIE-/201494823984

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC