8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo GS1200 Spres

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS1200 Spres
Mathew Ranjit
Junior

- posted January 28, 2017 05:16 AM      Profile for Mathew Ranjit   Email Mathew Ranjit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am looking for a spare part for the Elmo GS1200 . Its the sound pressure Pad roller lever.

Highly appreciate info on the availability of this component.

Kind Regards,
Mathew

--------------------
Matt

|  IP: Logged

Renzo Dal Bo
Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Renzo Dal Bo   Email Renzo Dal Bo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mathew,
I am a newbie here in this forum and I had just the same problem like you. I recently bought a GS1200  with sound problem due to the cracked pinch roller lever. I was not able to find any original spare part so, at first, I tried to repair the broken lever, as suggested somewhere in this forum. However I did not get a good result, because the plastic was fragile and cracked in two places.
Then I changed my strategy, I drew a 3d model of the lever, trying to replay the Elmo Gs1200 Mk2 improved lever design. After that, I printed it in black ABS plastic with my home made 3d printer.  I also recovered, from the old lever, the rubber roller, its axis, the snap rings and the two allen screws and mounted them on the new one. The result seems to me quite good, but, above all, it works! My GS now has found again its original sound with no failure.
If you don't find somewhere a new spare part or you are not able to repair the old one, I could reprint a new lever for you.
Regards, Renzo.

-

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 04, 2017 04:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible work Renzo! Well done indeed there with your ingenuity and manufacturing skills.

No doubt There will be other takers! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 04, 2017 07:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cracking of the pressure pad lever is very common on the earlier GS1200'S. Later models had a cylindrical metal sleeve bonded into the part to eliminate the high stress on the plastic.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 04:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first GS-1200 was an earlier model and the lever was cracked and had been repaired with glue, but it was a poor repair job and would not hold.
I was lucky to buy a new part with an integrated metal tube from a well-known person.
This is certainly a problem point and perhaps Edwin could investigate a new replacement part.

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 12:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compliments to Renzo - what a spectacular first post on the Forum!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2017 12:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, an excellent piece of engineering!
When you look at the crack on that part, and how it was designed, you have to wonder why anyone at Elmo thought that it would'nt crack!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2017 12:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is really excellent - well done indeed and welcome to the 8mm Forums.

I don't think Edwin needs to make these it looks as though Renzo has 'cracked it' already (pun fully intended).

Kevin

Mathew Ranjit
Junior

- posted February 06, 2017 08:40 PM      Profile for Mathew Ranjit   Email Mathew Ranjit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Renzo,

Fantastic.

I am currently managing with the glued option as mentioned by Maurice, but the alignment keeps slipping off even with the hex nuts in place.

I am awaiting some response on the availability of the same. I will let you know and PM you.

Regards,

--------------------
Matt

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2017 03:30 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Renzo! Nice to see you here.

Can you print two for me, please? PM me for details.

Thank you so much.

--------------------
Maurizio

Renzo Dal Bo
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2017 01:26 PM      Profile for Renzo Dal Bo   Email Renzo Dal Bo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your welcome and gratifying words.
As you well know, necessity is the mother of invention (and the Italians are known as a little masters in the art to make do).
I was not able to wait too much time before finding an original spare part. I longed to see my "baby" working sooner as possible.
But now it's time to briefly introduce myself in this forum, a rich mine where I have digged and learned a lot about our wonderful hobby.
My insterest ranges all over the smallfilm world: I collect S8 cameras, 16mm/S8 projectors and films, equipment for film developing and editing and all sorts of inherent documentation.
Even if I own other high end projectors I am a Braun Visacustic addict. I found them among the most rationally built S8 projectors. They are compact and reliable with a lot of functions and accessories.

To Mathew
If you need a GS1200 roller lever substitute, now you know where to find it.

To Maurizio
(an italian friend, who I personally met twice for joyful debating moments about our common hobby)
For sure, my printer is looking forward to warming up ... I am going to send you a mail for details.

To all the Others
Thank you again.

Renzo

Mathew Ranjit
Junior

- posted June 01, 2018 12:12 AM      Profile for Mathew Ranjit   Email Mathew Ranjit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Renzo,

I will need a new lever now for my GS1200.

Please can you PM me .

Regards,

--------------------
Matt

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2018 12:55 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you make 1200 foot reels? I would buy if yes

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2018 01:32 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is no one going to mention that Renzo said he has a HOMEMADE 3-D printer? That is what I am most impressed with [Eek!]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 01, 2018 01:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-maybe he made it on a 3-D printer!

(-but then where did THAT one come from!) [Wink]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2018 08:22 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is for sure a candidate part to be made by Edwin Van Eck ,this part are very demanded by all the elmo gs first series owners.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Renzo Dal Bo
Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2018 10:09 AM      Profile for Renzo Dal Bo   Email Renzo Dal Bo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mathew,
nice to meet you again and thank you to remember the first project I presented in this forum. For sure I am going to contact you by PM.
In the meantime, to meet the request of other forum members, I have improved the pressure lever design, inserting a brass bushing on the hole where the lever is fastened on the rotating axis. Now it is just like the last Elmo lever design.

-

Chip,
the dimensions of my printer don't allow to produce a so big reel. Furthermore this kind of objects can be made only by 2/3 single pieces bonded together in a second moment. I think it's not worth of it because the cost could be much more than to buy a used reel on the net.

Dino and Steve,
nowadays it is not a big problem to build yourself a 3D-Printer, you can find a lot of good and detailed projects in internet. The main difficulty is to realize a precise 3D model drawing. Then all that remains to be done is performed by the printer software.
Even if you don't have a printer, but you have the file of the 3D model of the piece, there are a lot of services in the net that can print it for you, with several kind of materials, for a few bucks.

Renzo

[ June 02, 2018, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Renzo Dal Bo ]

Renzo Dal Bo
Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 07:07 AM      Profile for Renzo Dal Bo   Email Renzo Dal Bo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mathew,

I sent you a Private Mail you can read in your profile page.
I am waiting your reply.
Thank you so much.

Renzo

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 08:03 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Renzo, if you intend to make a few of that lever, as above with the brass insert, I would be a customer for 2 of them. Make your price one that rewards you for your efforts. I am sure many members would be interested.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Renzo Dal Bo
Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 12:14 PM      Profile for Renzo Dal Bo   Email Renzo Dal Bo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steven,

thank you for your interest about my pinch roller lever.
I've just sent you a PM.

Renzo

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 06:44 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested as well. I need two myself.

Cheers,

--------------------
Maurizio

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2018 03:45 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this is what's wrong with my GS? The sound is wowand flutter.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2018 05:47 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very likely so, David. To double check, run a film of known sound quality and gently press the pinch roller holder right above where the roller istself is dastened: you should hear anobvious improvement...

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC