8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 28)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2019 07:42 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes I totally agree ! Stan, you are close to a qualitative solution worthy of high-end telecine. I'm convinced.

now to fill the imaging source sensor (2592x1944) the most complicated is precisely to adjust the image frame of the film because there will be more tolerance to move the offsets. it's a shame because ICCapture software can capture an area of ​​interest (for example 1440x1080 for S8) to not have files too large to save.

The 4K can be an option for improvement once everything is working well [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 07:39 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost done:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2S1iJX8tjpnQtGMs7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JTnTsGz6bAFRTfnC9
The new PCB should be in this week. It will have better camera centering plus the power startup circuitry. Also getting a new front panel for the switch mount.
Tried the "4K" mode with the 12mm lens. Here is the result.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/M9LtuQpMPFfg9pjk7
So it seems that there is some rez improvement with the lens being closer to the object and higher optical magnification. The FOV degradation seems to be still OK.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 08:18 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Results obtained fantastic and even unexpected for a telecine. 63 lines in the corners! wow! I am impressed ...
I have never managed to do as well. [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 10:20 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this is better than I expected when I started the project [Smile]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 11:22 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan that is amazing.
It seems the forum has been down for a few days, so to come back and find your Wolverine mod done is just fantastic news.

Might I ask how the images are captured to the computer?

I can't work out in my head how the computer captures the image as the capture is presumably done on the board by the camera, and triggered by the sensors in the Wolverine, so how does the computer capture the stills?

You mention software called frame sync? did I get that right?
I did google that but found nothing.

Amazing work

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 08:08 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mike.
So, the capture is relatively simple.
The camera that I use is DFM 72BUC02-ML from theimagingsource.com and has external trigger capability. So the new controller picks up the sync coming from the claw and sends it to the cam. Every time the claw starts going up, the camera gets triggered. Since the camera is connected via a usb to your PC the images are sent directly to the PC from the camera without controller direct involvement in image transport. You can read more here:
https://www.theimagingsource.com/products/board-cameras/usb-2.0-color/dfm72buc02ml/
Click on the documentation tab.
The capture sw is available here for windows :
https://www.theimagingsource.com/support/downloads-for-windows/

There is a linux support as well.
Let me know if you need more info.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2019 01:33 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Stan.

I shall take a look

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2019 08:37 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing Mike.
Here is the V3 board version.
 -
Functions:
- Interface Wolverine and camera sync
- Supply 3.3V
- Wolverine stepper control
- LED power and switch
- on/off switch
- speed control
- capstan control
- fan switch
- camera mount

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2019 11:24 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, you amaze us. What a beautiful job! Finally, we dreamed about it, and Stan did it ... [Smile]

I really look forward to trying it!

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2019 08:27 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Kamel and Mike for your support. I will be sending both of you the V2 version of the board with most of the components installed. V2 has most of the functions except for the led switch but that can be accomplished through proper wiring. Mike, can you send me your address via private email.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2019 01:55 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Stan, it's very nice of you. I know the amount of work this represents and I am very grateful [Smile]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2019 04:11 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You very much Stan.
That is very generous and really very kind.
The work you have achieved is quite remarkable.
I look forward to scanning my own films all over again!

My address is on its way

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2019 07:44 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got both addresses. The V2 boards will be in next Monday and will take me a few days to assemble them and do the test. I also have several reels of old film and looking forward to re-scanning them.
BTW the scanning speed is limited to 2 seconds per frame using the IC Capture sw from imagingsource. Since they also provide the SDK I will try to run the C code to see if I can speed it up.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2019 08:15 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 seconds per frame is already very good (even 4s, it's good too) if it allows a better quality! [Smile]

for my part, I have some difficulties with the motor for the capstan. The axis slides in the hole of my pulley printed in 3d. the axis is very short (8.4mm). once fixed inside the wolverine, there is not much left for the pulley. right now, I'm looking for a solution to extend the axis and block it.

I'm also thinking about a design for the front case to avoid external stray lights and protect electronic components...

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2019 10:54 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 seconds per frame? I really don't mind.

The thought of being able to re scan my royal navy reels in high quality is exciting.

I have a spare laptop that will run the capture software so it can sit and chug away for as long as it takes.

I may have to wait a month or so until I can buy the camera as the jolly old motor car is at that point of the year when it gets its service, and yearly road safety test, i know for a fact it's going to need some other work.

None the less I can't wait to pull my wolverine apart.

Stan, you Sir, are a true hero in this thread.

The hours you have dedicated, the money you have spent and the technical ability you bring to this thread is truly inspiring.

Thank you, Thank you.

Kamel, hello to you too, the 3D printing and work you are doing is pretty amazing.

I take great delight in logging here and seeing 28 pages of wolverine, and of late, what you two are up to to develop things and move things forward.

Between the two of you, there has been some significant work done towards the preserving of film.

That can't be a bad thing.

Cheers boys.

I do have one question for Stan, how do you achieve the right focus on the new camera?

Does the camera give a live output so one can set the focus?

[ August 01, 2019, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Mike, our films are precious and everything is good to scan them with the best quality possible. Some transfer labs do a good job with 30,000 $ scanner. The quality that stan gets to get is equivalent and it's better to do your own scans. By bringing our skills. the wolverine type scanner may finally have an interest.

I also have a source imaging camera. the focus is quite simple because you have a live view if you want, the ICCapture software allows to set the camera fully. Stan is much more advanced than me in the tests and he can answer you better.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2019 07:57 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike. Enjoy you old jolly motor car. Yes, I think this mod will bring the new life to this low end scanner based on the tests done so far. Kamel's answer is correct. You can go live mode and do a deep zoom and then adjust the focus quite precisely. Which reminds me, have to start putting the instructions together for the kit installation. Cheers.
Kamel, possibly use a coupler

https://www.ebay.com/i/332576003650?chn=ps&var=541676503045&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=541676503089_332576003650&targetid=649162909327&device=c&mktyp e=pla&googleloc=9051808&campaignid=1689407462&mkgroupid=74365777588&rlsatarget=aud-412677883135:pla-649162909327&abcId=1140476&merchantid=113580229&gclid=CjwKCAjwm4rqBRBUEiwAwaWjjN z1Xscobehpa6HUApUCBCZIRFrtNrfwORwK9hx6WJDCKCj6U8fR1RoCBw0QAvD_BwE

or

https://www.amazon.com/Ochoos-Flexible-Coupling-Transmission-Connector/dp/B07MWDRZ54

or

https://usa.banggood.com/2mm2_3mm3mm3_17mm4mm5mm-Copper-Coupler-For-RC-Boat-p-943629.html?gmcCountry=US¤cy=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_c ontent=garman&utm_campaign=ssc-usg-all-0627&ad_id=358240566646&gclid=CjwKCAjwm4rqBRBUEiwAwaWjjNUFLeSXdGRHPaWl9CltoGftYIqrEiyiYbH36-E6RHW2mxm0MuAyRRoCP7MQAvD_BwE&ID=516620&cur_wareh ouse=CN

attach the 2mm coupler to the shaft and then slide your wheel over the coupler other end (different sizes available) and use the second screw to lock you wheel in. You will have to change your print to match the coupler.

[ August 01, 2019, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2019 10:16 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Stan. I had thought of a coupler but it takes even more space. This may be the final solution but, I will try to find a blocking solution with my 3D model.

here is a test in draft mode, in the end it will smooth the pulley.

-

-

it's not quite that yet but it's getting good.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2019 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D printing is amazing.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2019 05:54 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great work Kamel. The threaded part will allow for distance adjustment. We will need some type of a bracket for the motor so that will add additional space between the motor and the pulley.Not sure if that will be a problem.
Actually not that bad. The pcb used for motor mount thickness is the same as the motor flange. Using the flathead screws will make the mount flush with the Wolverine front panel. So, the usable length of the shaft will be
0.35" (total shaft length) - 0.068" (panel thickness) = 0.282"

[ August 03, 2019, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2019 12:17 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The advantage with 3D printing is that we can do what we want to measure. I planned a space of 0.5 / 0.75mm so that the pulley does not rub against the wolverine case. The motor support that goes inside the wolverine is almost ready.

-

Some adjustments ...

Jeff Self
Junior

- posted August 06, 2019 10:23 AM      Profile for Jeff Self   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Self   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I go away for a few weeks and I come back to this! Fantastic! Stan, when the instructions are finalized, I'd love to be able to build this.

Ken Abruzzo
Junior

- posted August 06, 2019 11:29 AM      Profile for Ken Abruzzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loving how this is progressing. Great work Stan and Kamel.

I had been planning on redoing all of my scans (about 14,000 feet) at some point. I had learned some things towards the end that gave me better results. Seeing this.... I've decided to hold off.

Will you make it available as a ready to go kit? My soldering skills, umm... suck. LOL! Also, will this work with the Wolverine Pro? That's what I have.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2019 09:31 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jeff and Ken, yes this will be available as a kit within 3 - 4 weeks, maybe sooner. I developed it on Wolverine Pro and that is a very good point. It may not work with the basic model. If someone sends me the picture of the basic model inside I could make an assessment.
Just got the V2 version of the board and finished the assembly and test.
This is what it looks like.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NsG5V5JMZPdfMpnc7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E8enLA7WuKbX38Dk7

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2019 03:15 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan
I have uploaded some pictures to google drive.
hopefully they will be of use to work out if this mod will work with the original Wolverine.

These taken during my original take up motor failure and upgrade.

Fingers crossed your mod will work for both machines.

Wolverine pics

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC