8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Spools or Reels? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spools or Reels?
Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2017 06:51 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never used Eumig . Elmo were always reels as where Bounum reels and cans from Austria never spools Always liked the term bobines.

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on, years ago I used to rent films off a chap that designated the hire cost in terms of film length...in reels.

So one reel was 200ft.

Hiring, say a Walton 4 x 400ft was therefore 8 reels.

But when it arrived it was on...4 reels / spool things!?

I should have asked for a 50% refund!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2017 09:46 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next topic, 'lace' or 'thread'!

I lace up my Fumeo because it is manual no auto, but my ELMO I thread because it is auto thread.

I remember the first time I visited America LAX. Going through immigration/customs I had a lot of super 8 film and a cine camera. When he asked what's that I said a cine camera, his words A What? Oh you call them movie camera's over here. Holding the queue up we had a nice chat about different names for things. His last one really made me laugh. Well what do you call stockings and suspenders that women wear? At last common ground.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2017 12:51 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thread or auto thread. 📽📽 Do my laces in the morning and at night. Ah cine cameras or movie cameras alway guaranteed to get you extra special attention going through airports👮👮👮👮

Gary Schreffler
Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2017 05:54 PM      Profile for Gary Schreffler   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Schreffler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The National Archives only lists, from what I saw, reels of films. I can't recall ever seeing a spool of film.

This thread reminds me of chips. When ordering, what arrives on your plate greatly depends on what side of the Atlantic you are sitting...

--------------------
My God; It's Full Of Stars!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 12, 2017 06:48 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This American webstite uses the word "spool". Maybe it depends on the areas...
Edit : I've realized that I stupidely forgot to put the link. I don't remember to which US site I was refering but I found this :

http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Film.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-kodak-cine-spool-2-3-4-inch-film-spool-vintage-film-cinema-/262992591846

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/filmprocessing8mm.php?expandable=2 (they use the words "roll" and "spool".

This one is Australian :

http://www.cameratim.com/business/film-length-tables

[ June 20, 2017, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2017 01:51 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Eastman-Kodak spools belong to cameras and reels to projectors, simple as that. A spool, if at all, has solid flanges for light protection, reels generally have open-worked ones.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shall join the fray. Why not?

Nobody's mentioned the term "roll." That's quite relevant. See, if a "reel" is a 200-foot length, then it corresponds to the original concept of "reel" in the nitrate days being 1000 feet and 10-15 minutes run time, depending on projection speed. However, 2K "reels" came into use shortly thereafter, but the 20-minute Laurel and Hardy comedies (for example) are considered "2-reelers" even if supplied on a 2000-foot, er, device.

So "rolls" came along when printing down to 16mm because, as you well know, you can run 40 to 50 minutes comfortably on a 1,600-footer, and they'd identify THOSE compilations as "rolls." Take a look on leaders and you'll see markings like "Roll 1 Reels 1-2-3-4-5-6" or such.

Never seen the work "spool" on any leader, American can, nor eBay ad, sorry to say Rob.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2017 03:18 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The labels on Derann/Walton/Techno releases always seemed to use the word "Part" 1,2,3 etc on the boxes rather than reel or spool a 400ft or 600ft part. So no help from them on this.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2017 05:15 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Simon,

"With Eastman-Kodak spools belong to cameras and reels to projectors, simple as that. A spool, if at all, has solid flanges for light protection, reels generally have open-worked ones."

What???

So as I now know, I put a light proof spool of film in my camera, with a reel of film on it (Oh crickey, Bill, it might be a roll), then when I get it back on it's reel, it's a reel of film on a reel, or a roll of film on a reel, or is it a part? I don't know any longer...then project it using a take-up spool. NO! Take-up REEL! Or something...

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 21, 2017 05:53 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of those spanner/wrench kinds of discussions.

What if we say they are synonyms and call it a draw? (or even a tie, stalemate or impasse?)

In any case, it' a little late to convince a couple of hundred million people they are wrong either way.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2017 06:01 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, Steve, now they're "synonyms" as well...

I need to lie down...

[Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 21, 2017 06:07 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's seems that this difference is an English language specificity. There is only one word (bobine) in French to translate "spool" and "reel" and I believe it's the same in other languages. In opposite, you have in English one word to express two different things in French : the English word river is tranlated "rivière" but when a river goes directly in the sea or the ocean, it is no longer a "rivière", it's a "fleuve". Must be a French distinction as in Spanish, as I know, there is only one word (rio) as well. [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2017 03:02 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the PERFECT solution. Let's just all use the French instead!

So on eBay we'd say something like: "This feature comes mounted on two 800-foot bobines."

Perfect, I say!!!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC