8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea Fall 2017 Pictures (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CineSea Fall 2017 Pictures
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2017 02:52 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Apologies for the long wait for this. I know we like to look at pics right after the show, but between fighting an infection and working 12-18-hr days, there hasn't been a lot of time or energy for anything else.

With that, here we go [Smile]
The usual routine: I post to the limit, someone checks in with a message, and I continue, so we keep it all in one long thread.

--------------------------------------------------------

-

Come Thursday morning, Gary Crawford and I were on our usual pilgrimage together towards the shore. After lunch at our regular diner along the way, we arrived to decent weather and the kind of quiet that signals the coming off-season in Wildwood.

This time we realized something: more people were now coming in on Thursdays. It used to be it was Gary, me, Shorty and Doug as the exceptions, but this time, the prep work was underway when we got there. Doug and Jason were hanging window covers:

-

Of course, the 'serious' work only gets so serious with these types around.... [Big Grin]

-

Shorty Caruso instigated terrible arguments as usual (!)...here with our resident "pinball wizard" Todd Tuckey:

-

As Thursday went on, more folks came in. Talk about diversity: Jason Smith from Japan; Guy Taylor and David Boland representing Texas:

-

As mentioned, Thursday is becoming a good arrival choice for more folks. It allows for time to settle in and get ready, and for those who cannot stay all the way through Sunday, it offers an alternative "week-end": come early, leave on Saturday. Something to consider for anyone who hasn't been to CineSea yet.

Evening fell, and we spread out for the evening; some going to dinner, some going to their room. The murmur of the ocean and the fresh air once again signaled the start of a great week-end.

-

More to come...

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 12, 2017 03:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Claus!

I've always enjoyed these.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2017 03:52 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come Friday, first things first: Breakfast. The Marvis Diner was excellent as always:

-

-

Back at the hotel, the load-in and setup got going:

-

Joe Caruso had a beautifully laid out table of Blackhawk films and memorabilia, among other things.

-

-

Jason had brought Doug a rare gift: a Japanese film/disc set, with the sound track on a '45, to be run in sync with the film:

-

Jason's Japanese film editions are always a treat; something you don't see very often (if ever.)

-

Gerald Boss (left) and Jack Cleveland were back for more fun:

-

...that's round two. Stay tuned.

C.

[ November 14, 2017, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Claus Harding ]

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 12, 2017 04:56 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures !!!!

--------------------
Dominique

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2017 10:20 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff! well done everyone!

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 13, 2017 11:06 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you're feeling up to snuff again, Claus - You always make my display even more impressive wehn photographed - My compliments always - Shorty - BTW, I didn't start that argument, Crawford had the hammer and thought I was a nail

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 13, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the whole thing happen:

He had a hammer, but he refused to hammer in the morning.

(We just can't have that!)

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 13, 2017 03:34 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...hammer in the evening, well, Bazinga!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 13, 2017 03:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a hammer, I certainly would!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 13, 2017 04:26 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Claus, looking forward to the next batch.

Shorty & Steve,

Your hammer chat is especially appropriate since during the Saturday screening I showed a Standard 8mm sound print of Johhny B Great (John Goodison) performing If I Had A Hammer.

Doug

[ November 13, 2017, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One sad casualty this time: our mascot, the "Airyflex" lost its...well, air [Roll Eyes] Still, the show must go on, so we laid it out anyway:

-

It didn't take long for things to get back into their usual groove. Projectors were placed and threaded, conversation grew and soon the room was the usual bee-hive of activity:

-

-

The Franchettis, Sr and Jr, were busy at their full tables as usual, with plenty of titles to look at:

-

-

Doug's corner was impressive as always, flanked by his Elmo GS-1200 Xenon and the big Goko sound editor:

-

...and our youngest (and growing) fan, Steven Klare, brought his faithful silent projector and his 200-footers and set up his regular viewing station:

-

..that's the limit for this time; be back soon.

C.

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2017 06:06 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As always Claus, great pictures!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 13, 2017 07:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant [Cool]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 06:46 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For our Friday night screening, Gary Crawford had graciously gone to his VA public library setup and pulled out his Marc-lamp powered Pageant to have enough firepower for the big screen.
"Fright Night" awaited....

-

Meanwhile, the "regular" show went on, with film discussion, buying and selling:

-

Lou's tables were packed as usual...

-

...and beautiful prints were illuminating the room:

-

When John Capazzo (left) shows up...

-

...home-made cake follows, in this case a delicious blueberry cheesecake for all to enjoy:

-

The room is getting set. This says "essence of CineSea" to me: the garage door is open, letting in the last of the daylight. The dark "hill" in the background is the sand dune before the beach, and we can hear the ocean quietly singing its song as we get ready for our feature...that's what makes this place special:

-

"Fright Night" was much enjoyed, and the 16mm print looked great on the Marc Pageant:

-

...enjoy, more to come...

C.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 14, 2017 08:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent photos Claus [Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2017 12:25 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On to Saturday, and the show was in full flow. Soundtracks competing, trivia unearthed, deals going down, stories told:

-

The gent on the left below is Gus Cannon, a musician-friend of Tammy Tuckey's, who accompanied her on a great version of "Why Don't You do Right" for our enjoyment:

-

...it must have been a really sad movie...:

-

Joe Griesbach showed up with one of his "military-spec" machines, which had a terrific maintenance feature: One oiling point at the top, with many internal channels sending the oil to all the necessary points. No more looking for all the "ports" for oiling; brilliant idea.

-

Of course, the machine travels with its own oil can:

-

...and check out the amp unit. "Built to last" really means something here:

-

There was plenty to choose from if you wanted to buy. Here Gerald Boss readies his 'for sale' list:

-

No intro needed, the Klares are regulars in the best sense:

-

That's the pic limit for this time, check back again.

C.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 16, 2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Oil can what?"

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 16, 2017 04:04 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"He said oil can!" - I think Jack Cleveland and Ed Gower were watching Judy sing 'Over The Rainbow' for the 2nd time - This time it got to them so much, they wanted to join her on the journey - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 17, 2017 11:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so danged jealous! wonderful pics!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 17, 2017 01:19 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on over for April - I always invite everyone, especially our overseas chaps - We can have a reel whizzbang of a time - Cheers, Shorty

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2017 01:19 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As film collectors, some classic "poses" recur as part of the hobby; "checking the film" is very much one of them [Smile]

-

-

-

-

...and of course, splicing is as much a part of it all. New leader, damaged frames....you've just got to do it. Doug uses the big Goko sound viewer, and it is an impressive beast for such work:

-

...and, in the interest of fair reporting, no, Doug does not use gaffer tape for splices... [Big Grin]

-

We'll have some more; that's what the software allows for now.

C.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 18, 2017 01:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,

Love those checking the film pictures! I see a calendar theme for 2018.

Doug

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2017 02:28 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before we get to the Saturday night dinner, here's a little "hit parade" of the faithful machines we used at this show. Little did the engineers know that in 2017, their designs would still be running:

The mighty (and temperamental) GS-1200 Xenon with Roy Neil film cleaner attachment:

-

A timeless workhorse, Gary Crawford's Kodak Pageant:

-

A rarer bird on these shores, the smooth, quiet-running Hokushin:

-

The Elmo 16. If you don't want Eiki, many go for this instead:

-

The Eiki SSL. Your Faithful Reporter has both the xenon 3500 and regular SSL, and he loves them both:

-

Always good to see Eumig represented. A unmistakable design, this is the 810 HQ Sound dual-format version:

-

....aand let's celebrate Yelco while we are at it! Steven Klare's indestructible little silent-film runner does its thing at every show, without fail:

-

Finally, in the ultimate "still running" category, the Kodascope Model B 16-mm from 1928 was on exhibit. That makes it 90 years old, come the new year...I have one, and it works as well as the day it was made, auto-threading and all. It makes all our 1960es-70es machines seem 'new' by comparison:

-

Next, the Saturday dinner.

C.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 18, 2017 03:39 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that some of us collectors are also still running....

Doug

--------------------

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2017 05:42 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the picture Claus looks like a wonderful time.
I hope to make to one of these events in the near future.

Some nice gems, the HTI Kodak Pagent, they have one of the best lenses this must throw a very bright and sharp image. Nice to see the Roy Niel/GS combo. Lots of xenon projection. If I were there Im sure I would be drooling over all the film for sale, Hmmm what should I buy? [Smile]

Thanks, Claus.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC