8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Collector Overload?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Collector Overload?
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 09, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a strange moment the other day.

I was standing there in grazing mode: Looking over a shelf full of 400 footers as if I was leaning into the 'fridge looking for something to eat. I saw a Blackhawk: "Will Rogers, Big Moments From Little Pictures".

It sounds like the kind of film I'd like to buy, but I don't remember buying it!

It had tape on the leader (which I don't use) and had a Eumig leader trim (The Elmo trim works with Eumigs, so I always use that), so odds are excellent I didn't ever watch it either!

Kind of disturbing: it's like an anti-thief visited my film shelves (-kind of like a "put-pocket"!)

(As long as it's nothing incriminating! "Ummmm! I don't know how THAT got there! Somebody's framing me!")

Compared to a few people I know, I have a pretty modest collection. I've heard tales of collectors gone too far with rooms full of films they not only haven't watched, but aren't particularly aware exist either! Have I crossed that line?

How big does a collection usually become before any one film goes invisible like this?

PS: I watched it, I enjoyed it.

-if the next time I look for it I can't find it I am going to completely freak out! [Wink]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 10, 2018 04:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bought any film since 2 years ago. I don't really buy now since I feel enough with what I have collected so far.

To be honest, I still love real films but for daily entertainment I use the silver disc... [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 06:29 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the Will Rogers film is one that came as a gift from The Reel Image....Steve O likes to send gifts and sometimes I will not remember buying certain films in my collection and then it hits me.....oh yeah..... [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2018 08:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is I bought it at CineSea. I had a fairly decent haul last time and I think this one just got lost among the others.

Too often I find perfectly good films on the shelf that I bought, liked and watched only once. If I ever feel like I have nothing to watch: maybe this is the reason!

-I kept a list and updated it every time I got a new film until maybe two years ago. Maybe it's time to bring it up to date. I won't watch a film I don't know I have!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 09:16 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends how organised a collector is or the size of collection. I have come across films I had forgotten about and had duplicate copies of trailers and cartoons. Mind you there are some manic folk out there who buy, receive and never project. I have bought titles second hand with the cellophane just about opened and the sellotape still holding the film lead in its place. Record collector are just the same.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2018 09:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the warning signs start when you have to get really creative storing them.

Most of mine are actually on shelves and all of them have some place to go, but I've heard stories of people having narrow aisles up their staircases because every step has piles of reels on it, never mind the ones that take sponge baths (hopefully) because they've sacrificed their bathtubs to film storage.

-suffice it to say these collectors tend to live by themselves...

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 01:00 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back I decided to sell off a lot of super 8 that was either fading or no longer of interest.

I was honest about condition, and the total was around 70 plus 400ft or 200ft titles.

Sometimes afterwards I would think, "Gosh, I wish I hadn't sold my copy of..."

Only to look and find that I hadn't! That has happened quite a lot, which makes me wonder what I did actually sell off! And how much stuff did I have? [Eek!]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 01:16 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I own is on 800 foot reels up to 2000 foot.

Depending on the make up I can have two or three cartoons plus trailers spliced to the first large reel. All of this from the early years of collecting before features. Money was tight so I built up cartoon and trailer screening running feature length time slot.

When features topped 150 I decided to break up cartoon and trailer programs, and added them to selected features. It is here when I too question whether or not I have the cartoon or trailer. I also don’t know which features they are on until of course I screen the movie and whatever is attached lights up my screen.

And, I like it. Because running a movie of this format is a good time for all who are there in the moment. But adding a trip down memory lane....well that’s just priceless not including some slight fade......

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 10, 2018 03:33 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the shelves list one way or t'other, time to re-adjust and re-connoiter - I have found duplicates among the throng, only to set them aside as trade barter - Gotta clean out that closet one of these days, so said Fibber - Cheers, Shorty

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes see a film and think "Should I buy this - or do I already have it?"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2018 04:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a hassock with a hinged lid: I filled it with 200 footers.

-but what then to do with the 300 footers?

I talked my wife into buying a second hassock!

-Now isn't that just a little...creative? [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 10, 2018 08:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think you have crossed the line Steve [Big Grin] not yet anyway [Smile]

If your film collection gets like this [Wink] then Houston we do have a problem [Smile]

Recognize this final shot of a certain well known film?
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 10, 2018 09:25 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-absolutely! My wife has put out the stuff to take on vacation!

That tiny figure is me packing the car! (We have a cargo pod.)

(... [Wink] )

Seriously, it does bother me a little that at a certain point each individual film matters less than when I had 30 or 50. back in those days a package showed up and I may not even have waited until dark to screen it.

(Raiders of the Lost Ark)

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2018 04:18 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading through this fascinating topic made be start to wonder at what point does one seriously reach the point of overkill?

I guess it depends on the individual. It must be somewhere on some sort of graph that takes in the total number of films one owns... in relation to the frequency one views films....in relation to the length of ones film shows... in relation to the number of times one feels they must view a film to say they have watched it several times.(in other words.... have had their money's worth!).

Once this point is exceeded, I guess it is Ebay time!

Another thought.....

Who has a bigger collection? The person with 15 x 400' digests, or the person with a full length "Ben Hur" and "Gone With The Wind"?

Based on titles, the digest person wins 15 to 2
Based on reels (and I shall stand corrected on this one...)BH & GWTW amount to 20x 400' .... so they would win!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2018 05:23 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my 35mm films are getting out of hand, Just found out I have 3 prints of THE MAGIC PUDDING and DEATH AT A FUNERAL [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2018 06:36 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick - 3 prints of The Magic Pudding? That's not overload....... That's just GLUTTONY ! (ha ha)

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 11, 2018 10:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, great picture! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2018 12:45 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very interesting topic. By sheer coincidence I am reading a book purchased for my recent birthday titled "A Thousand Cuts". It was mentioned in the latest edition of "Flickers" the journal of The Vintage Film Circle of which I have been a member almost since it started!!! The book is about quote, "The Bizarre underground world of collectors and dealers who saved the movies" by Dennis Bartok and Jeff Joseph. It is mainly about American collectors, certainly "overload" regarding some of them. Our own Kevin Brownlow is also mentioned particularly with regard to rescuing and restoring classic silent films. There are a few photographs one being a skip (Dumpster) full of discarded 16mm sound projectors, which a thought was a sad reflection of the way we have become a throw away society. It makes me wonder if T.V.s,and Video projectors will go the same way as has happened with the cine camera and amateur camcorder, V.H.S. player, Laserdiscs and domestic DVD Recorder. How much longer will DVD/Bluray players survive? On the plus side, in years to come, the ones not thrown away will become valuable antiques! Ken Finch. [Razz]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 14, 2018 02:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Ken!

That is a great book. I have the hardcover and have promised myself to re-read it every couple of years: just to keep perspective!

Hobbies are best as kind of the icing on the cake of life. Unfortunately there are too many people in that book that have lost their cake and have nothing left but the icing.

I run two Super-8 machines side by side and one of them is sitting on top of a blu-Ray player to feed signal to my VP. All three feed audio into my mixer and sound system. The projectors are both old enough to have kids in college, but the blu-Ray player will almost certainly go first: it's just not built to either last or be repaired.

With the trends in streaming media these days I wonder how long I'll even be able to replace it.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 14, 2018 07:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last few weeks I have been dumping more badly faded prints and using those Elmo 800/1200 reels to place a number of 200 footers with there heads and tails removed onto those reels instead. Many of those shorts which are very good I have not watched in years, The thing about having a good cleanout, is that you come across films that I had all but forgot about over time.

Going through the Super8 and 16mm films I came to the conclusion that I need to screen them a lot more. Its really pointless having them otherwise.

Time for me to get real and watch the good stuff and not turn into a hoarder [Smile]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2018 05:53 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you have confirmed my points exactly but I think the situation for those who would like to preserve the older technology is the difficulty in keeping the equipment in good order due to the decline in numbers of people who have the technical knowledge and skills required. In response to Graham's post, I think hoarding is part of the male genetic make up!! We just can't help it!! Ken Finch. [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 16, 2018 03:55 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are right Ken, must be something in the old brain department [Smile] however I will try to fight it [Smile]

Aside from film, I wonder how many people here are in that "collector overload" mode in other things as well? [Big Grin]

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2018 04:08 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Vinyl collection is definitely collectors overload and if I'm honest so are the films,don't tell the wife I said that though!!! [Big Grin] Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2018 05:08 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us have way too many projectors especially ones of certain kinds

:-d

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC