8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell and Howell MX833 Service Manual

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell MX833 Service Manual
Greg May
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2018 12:39 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

This afternoon I popped the back off my Dual 8 projector. As I suspected, the main drive belt is loose and will need to be replaced. I am sure I can source a new belt, but the trouble is removing and replacing. I have seen past threads where other folks have had this machine and seem to hit the same wall. Is anyone aware of where I could get a service manual for this projector? Even better if since the last thread (2015 roughly) someone has replaced a belt on a similar machine and has some tips.. Below is a picture of what I am dealing with.

-

--------------------
16MM: EIKI SNT-0, EIKI NT-0
8MM: ELMO ST-600M

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 15, 2018 02:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg... I can tell you from experience that the service manual will not help in replacing that belt. I have replaced several belts on these machines...but not in the traditional way.

You will need to buy some Urethane round belting material. I found it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006IZXJL8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You cut the old belt off and can use it as a guide for measuring the length for the new belt. I just wrapped the urethane belt around the pulleys. I tape one end to one of the pulleys to hold it in place. Then using a soldering iron ... or you can use a lighter or candle...melt the ends of the urethane and join them together. It cools down and hardens very rapidly so work quickly. It takes a little practice...but it will make a very strong belt.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2018 04:34 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice-

Thanks for the tip. I guess that is the route I will take. I was hoping there were some service guides kicking around to show how it comes apart, but this works for me. I have a portable soldering iron that should do the trick. I will report back once I get the belt and solder it on.

--------------------
16MM: EIKI SNT-0, EIKI NT-0
8MM: ELMO ST-600M

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC