8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » J A W S - Feature length! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: J A W S - Feature length!
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a very rare full length print it says!

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAWS-SUPER-8-FEATURE-DERANN-RARE_W0QQitemZ180096510690QQcategoryZ63821QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I did message the seller and apparently it's a 'flat' print but didn't say if it was 'letterboxed' or 'pan and scan' of the 2.35:1 ORIGINAL.

I own a rare German CinemaScope feature length copy and may well sell it one of these days, for the right price of course! [Wink]

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2007 09:57 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ricky for the post. I did not know this film was ever released by Derann. I think they did release a couple of prints of "ET" which was released by Universal as "Jaws" was. So I guess its possible that this is a real S8 Distributor release. Anyone on the forum know details about this release?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard that
Derann released this classic.

To my knowledge, I have followed
the Derann releases for the past
20 years and do not remember it
being spoken about or circulated.

Unless it was unadvertised
in a limited run.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2007 03:19 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge Derann never put out "Jaws" in any length themself, although they did take over the "Universal 8" catalogue for distribution here in the UK. What I do know that here in the UK many titles were made available on super 8 magnetic sound via the usual 16mm hire catalogues (I have one on my list now "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here", this was only ever released as a 400' cut). I would imagine the same process was available in the U.S., where perhaps even more titles were made available to hire F/L on 8mm, I would imagine this is where this print originates, I know by the colour on "Willie Boy" that these prints are holding up well, as I would imagine they were made to a very high specification for hire prints.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2007 03:57 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
English and Spanish soundtracks? Could it be a dual optical airline print?

This is certainly not a Derann print. I'm sure I'd have known if they'd have put some copies out.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2007 05:00 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

It's most probably a magnetic print, as I've had a few copies of the Clint Eastwood film "The Eiger Sanction" F/L which originated from S. Africa, this had an English track on the main stripe and an Africaans (I hope I'm spelling that right) track on the balance stripe.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 17, 2007 06:24 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might it be a Marketing print?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 17, 2007 10:28 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Marketing was primarily a Paramount distributor. I don't recall them having any Universal titles except for a german language version of "The Choirboys".

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2007 11:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
Perhaps A german print.
I remember that, a few years ago, on the london BFCC filmfair, I saw a list of full super 8 features films that was print on germany and sale by Classic Home, I think.
In this list, there were some greats films: Once Upon A Time In The West (scope ); 10 commandments; Rio Bravo; etc...
But t's the first time that I see this print of "JAWS".

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2007 05:15 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the German source would have held out for a 'Scope print.

Barry, I've seen one of the (average quality) prints of 'The Eiger Sanction'. You could be on the right lines here but as far as I'm aware it only came with one language track. South Africa does seem a likely candidate given that this advertised copy of Jaws is 'flat'.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 19, 2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mystery continues....in episode 12
[Cool]

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2007 06:43 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks,

I have confirmed with Gary at Derann that they had nothing to do with this release. So its anyone's guess as to whom it is distributed by...

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2007 10:20 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably an Italian bootleg print.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2007 02:53 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mystery of the origins of this full length "JAWS" print is certainly giving people "something to get their teeth into". [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2007 02:57 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the Seller doesn't show the box so I cannot confirm if it's an italian print.
However, if so, the quality is very bad, and it should be absolutely avoided !!!
Furthermore the Italian print I had didn't have the double magnetic stripe, so it could not be possible to have two different audio tracks (English and Spanish)

Flavio

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2007 04:02 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing that my first suggestion may be right, I think this is most likely an ex library print, but which library, and which country is open to debate, but I suspect it is an original U.S. print, as the U.S. has a large hispanic market, and U.8. used to make sure they had versions with a Spanish track (along with other major U.S. distributors I believe), so having a library print with English and Spanish makes sense, as they most probably made sure their hire prints were only used on very good machines, hence you'd need at least a twin track machine to play the Spanish track.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 05:33 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ian of Perry's told me a while back that they were also handling some prints from a German source including ET I think. This was before Derann and Classic started to distribute some of them and while Perry's still had the lab facilities to record the sound etc.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi friends!
the copy of jaws was a spanish copy made with the original negatives of the spanish version,was released on super 8 by the company "top 69" in beautiful agfa colors,i´m one of the proud owner´s of the 60 copys that were made in the middle 80 just for the spanish market.In the film library were i work we have two copies of this feature, one on 16mm and the other s-8, agfa both.
the s-8 copy was put on sale in a beautiful de luxe black box.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 09:49 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

Is it safe to ask
that this feature with a
Spanish track does not
have any superimposed
English subtitles?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

when Kempski (Germany) retired, Derann took over his remaining stock and the negatives. Not to mention that Derann sells all kind of used features without having printed them... so Derann really could have sold that film some years ago without having printed it.

BTW: My print of "Moutiny on the Bounty" came with English and Spanish soundtrack (I bought it from a Spanish collector who added the Spanish soundtrack himself), my print of "Jungle Book" (the version with Sabu) came with German and English soundtrack (with the German soundtrack being added by the pre-owner), ... so having two different languages proofs nothing - especially when the print is done on acetate-based-stock where everyone could add the "balance stripe" at home with his/her juwel/hama/...-striper.

Jörg
P.S.: Since the German diggest was sold by Piccolo (also distributed by Quelle under the "Revue"-label), I doubt that marketing managed to get the rights for the full length feature:
http://www.super-8-hobby.de/rezent57.htm

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 22, 2007 08:07 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While on the "Jaws" subject.....last night I stopped by a film class that a friend teaches, and the guest speaker was David Brown, producer (along with Richard Zanuck) of "Jaws". He mentioned that it took 159 days to shoot the film and that Richard Dreyfuss thought the film was going to be terrible, but he didn't mind since it probably would never get released. Robert Shaw, on the other hand, thought it would be a big hit and tried to exchange his salary for a percentage of the gross. Too bad for Robert that deal never went through!

Doug

--------------------

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Is it safe to ask
that this feature with a
Spanish track does not
have any superimposed
English subtitles?"

Hi Michael,No,the full copy don´t have any subtitles,the spanish inter-negative was made from the original american negative,the company "top 69" who sells the movie used to release only the best american films taking directly from the original negatives,usually they made a inter-negative from the original and them they make the copies for the spanish market,TOP 69 is a registered mark of the company KRAM FILM & VIDEO S.A. for all our fellow members..here is a scan of the spanish cover of the film..note the "top 69" brand at the top of the cover
 -

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 23, 2007 02:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

Can you tell us what other titles "Top 69" released?

Doug

--------------------

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2007 06:14 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Douglas!
TOP 69 release 30 full length prints of:
E.T.,THE EXTRATERRESTIAL
WHAT A WONDERFUL LIFE
GREMLINS
GREMLIS 2
JAWS 2 ( TEN PRINTS IN SCOPE)
DEAD WEEKEND
THE HOUSE FROM THE FOG (spanish title: "la mansion de la niebla")
THE FOUR FEATHERS (KORDA)
THE JUNGLE BOOK (KORDA)

they released almost all the paul naschy titles of the wolfman
and some hammer horror films like "the brides of dracula" and "the hound of baskervilles",they used to make print in adapted scope or letterboxed in some cases used to print in agfa or fuji stock,they tend to respect the formats,in 1987 top 69 stop the production.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 24, 2007 09:54 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

Thank you. It's always nice to find out that there are still prints out there on Super 8mm that I never knew existed!

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC