8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted
Joseph Haynes
Junior

- posted August 20, 2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Joseph Haynes   Email Joseph Haynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. Im a new collector so i decided i wanted to try and collect Buster Keaton Film. Does anyone have any of these of 8MM film?

Neighbours
The Goat
The Haunted House
The Boat
Cops
The Electric House
Steam Boat Bill Jnr

or any others

im also looking for these if they exist on 8mm

Doctor who ( any 8mm tv/movies)
Once Upon a Time In America (Film/Trailer)
Captain America (Cartoon)

Many many thanks

Joe

--------------------
If you have any DR WHO films please contact me

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2007 05:34 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joe and welcome.
Both the Peter Cushing cinema versions of DR WHO were released by Walton Films as 8 reel features and as 2 x 200 ft extracts from each film.
regards,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 20, 2007 05:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph,

Welcome to the Forum! I know you'll find other Keaton fans here (myself included). Just to clarify, are you looking for these films on Standard 8mm or Super 8mm?

As Mal mentioned, there are a couple of Dr. Who releases. You can read about them here .

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joseph Haynes
Junior

- posted August 22, 2007 05:22 AM      Profile for Joseph Haynes   Email Joseph Haynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks for the reply. Im not bothered if ther super or standard. I have a dual machine, so both are possible. Do You know if all them keatons were released?

Many thanks

Joe

--------------------

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2007 07:36 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph,

You should find THE HAUNTED HOUSE and COPS easy to find on Super or Standard 8mm, as they were issued by several companies in the UK and elsewhere. Collectors Club also released THE GOAT (not quite complete) and THE BOAT in the UK but they were not available for long.

STEAMBOAT BILL JR was available from Blackhawk Films (US) and possibly elsewhere, so it does turn up - in fact, a copy is currently offered for sale on this forum (but with another, non-Keaton film).

NEIGHBORS and THE ELECTRIC HOUSE will be much more difficult (and expensive) to find, though a certain UK eBay seller has auctioned 8mm prints of almost every extant Keaton silent (including the two MGM features!) in the last few years. I believe 8mm copies of these rarer Keaton silents were unofficially released by a South American dealer many years ago.

If you want details of any other Keaton 8mm releases, especially in the UK, please let me know. Features available from Collectors Club were THE GENERAL, COLLEGE, SEVEN CHANCES and (in a poor print) THE NAVIGATOR, so these turn up fairly often, as do some of the other shorts, including a couple of the Arbuckle-Keaton films, CONEY ISLAND and THE GARAGE.

Good luck!

Jonathan

Joseph Haynes
Junior

- posted August 22, 2007 07:40 AM      Profile for Joseph Haynes   Email Joseph Haynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks alot for the info Jonathan. My Goal was to try and collect all known 8mm films of Buster keaton. Mainly every silent B/W film he ever did. Is there any prints that are impossible to find?

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 22, 2007 07:49 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Always happy to meet a fellow Joseph - I'm a long-term collector, especially of Blackhawk in Super and Std 8 - You might want to consider FATTY AT CONEY ISLAND (1917), which was originally released by Griggs and Niles - This is the only film in which Keaton laughs - Another early Arbuckle/Keaton entry is THE GARAGE (Super 8) again from NILES - Not bad at all - THE BALLONATIC, THE BLACKSMITH, COPS, STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. and THE GENERAL, were all Blackhawk releases both silent and a score - Beautiful ones they are, so try and search for the music/effects tracks of those - COPS was also released by GRIGGS containing a goat gland sequence not in the Blackhawk one - A great site to visit is Phil Johnson's at 8mm16mmfilmscollectibles.com - I think he has a silent print of THE BOAT - Some of those other shorts; ELECTRIC HOUSE, etc were put out by Enrique Bouchard many years ago, as I recall - Stay in touch here and welcome - Cheers, Shorty

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2007 07:56 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

The only ones I think are definitely impossible are the rarest Arbuckle-Keaton films that were only discovered even on 35mm (or 16mm) in the last few years; titles such as THE COOK, OH! DOCTOR and MOONSHINE.

But there are many others (including most of the Arbuckle-Keatons) that I would say are almost impossible because they were never "officially" released on 8mm. The copies I saw on eBay were the only ones I've ever seen and I recall some titles like the two-reel CONVICT 13 (once believed a lost film on any gauge) sold for about £35.

You could of course supplement your collection with DVD releases, which in some cases will give you more complete versions of the films than were ever released on 8mm.

The easiest films to find on 8mm (in the UK) are the Collectors Club features mentioned above, CONEY ISLAND, THE GARAGE, plus the solo shorts ONE WEEK, THE HAUNTED HOUSE, THE PALEFACE (sometimes cut to one reel), COPS, THE BLACKSMITH and THE BALLOONATIC. Some others, like THE PLAYHOUSE, were available in the US.

Jonathan

Joseph Haynes
Junior

- posted August 22, 2007 08:19 AM      Profile for Joseph Haynes   Email Joseph Haynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the great Replys everyone. I already have the Steam Boat Bill Jnr and the Complete Short films 1917-1923 on DVD. Both are Great Releases.

My favourite films are

The Electirc House
One Week
Neighbours
The Goat
Cops
The Boat

There are the ones im mainly looking for on 8mm. Does anyone know if the Butcher Boy was released on 8mm?

--------------------

Joseph Haynes
Junior

- posted August 29, 2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Joseph Haynes   Email Joseph Haynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does no one have any for sale?

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 29, 2007 01:08 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe, years ago, I had a film short and clipped at the end was a minute or so of BUTCHER BOY, this was Std 8 - I regret selling that reel - Unhappily, nothing I have for sale right now - Also, I think CONVICT 13 was pretty much available in one-reel for a long time before being restored - The "lost" Keaton was HARD LUCK, which I think luckily (pun intended), has been re-discovered - Coincidentally, tomorrow (30th) all day and night the day is devoted to Buster on TCM, so ladies and gentlemen, set your timers - Shorty

Jason Redmond
Junior

- posted August 29, 2007 02:52 PM      Profile for Jason Redmond   Email Jason Redmond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Joseph,
I have a spare Blackhawk reel of Cops I'd be willing to part with, if you are interested.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC