8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » STAR WARS Scope Feature on Ebay, Derann print. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: STAR WARS Scope Feature on Ebay, Derann print.
Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 01:27 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=330347326274

Just saw this.... already up over $550. Derann print.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 25, 2009 01:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who has this Derann print can vouch for the great color. My personal copy of this was a first day release print, in mono, (I chose to keep it that way!) and, being that it was in thwe very first run of DErann's release of it, the image is truly fantastic ...

... and the fact that none other than David Prowse, (dude in the Darth Vader suit, in case you didn't know), signed the boxes in silver pen, makes it even more precious to me!

"A nice price, will it fetch ... yes yes!"

quothe Yoda!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Ferran Gimenez
Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 02:05 PM      Profile for Ferran Gimenez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the seller says "It has a full frame image"...??
Does this mean it isn't a scope print??.

Cheers

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 02:16 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What he means is that the Derann prints' images fill the full frame of the film, as opposed to a the other company's print he speaks of, which has small black bars at the top, bottom, and sides, which you can see when projected. He speaks of the top-quality Derann version, and it says it is scope. I began bidding on this myself, as I'd LOVE to have it, but couldn't continue bidding.... too much for me right now.

I wonder if Derann realizes there is still a market for these, and could convince Fox to allow them to strike more prints?

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I looking at the wrong auction?! it says it's only up to $205 not $550. I really want this too, but will not go up to $500. I think they pop up on Derann's used list pretty often for much less than that... I swore after buying Sleeping Beauty last week I wouldn't buy another feature this month... Damn! Now comes this irrisistable title. [Confused]

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was up to over $550. Something must have happened. At least it's more reasonable now.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 08:41 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone tell me what a reasonable price is for this print?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2009 03:18 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
£300. First run prints were markedly better - Keith Wilton still has his review print which is better than both copies I have.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ronnie Sortor
Junior

- posted July 26, 2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Ronnie Sortor   Email Ronnie Sortor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna display my ignorance here, but searches for more info on the Derann STAR WARS has turned up very little info. Those reels in the auction pic don't look that big. Is the film stock that thin? My projectors only handle 400', so if I were to win this, it'd be a shame to chop up the print for smaller reels. What size reels are those and what projectors handle them? Is it stereo or mono? Is it from a "NEW HOPE" print? TIA

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 26, 2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie ...

Derann made they're prints from an original release negative of STAR WARS, so it is without all the modern "refinements" that Lucas added to it over the years. Personally, I prefer the original that I remember seeing in 1977!

Ahhh, memories ...

Those reels are 1200ft, so yes, 2X1200ft reels would house a Star Wars print, as the original non retouched print ran just slightly over 2 hours, and each 1200ft reel houses a little over an hour.

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2009 10:33 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this ebay listing is up to $511, with three days to go. Looks like this one will probably go higher.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 26, 2009 11:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this guy is really going to clean up! I don't think the film sold for that in american dollars when it first came out!

... and once again, I must ask, " Where the hell are these big bidders when I'm doing auctions?!"

Oh Well, I should hope that this print is worth the big bucks and if the person whop buys it is a forum member, please report back on it.

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 02:59 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in agreement with this comment from the buyer question...

"There is another version out there that is not as good. The way to tell is the Derann version fills the frame top & bottom, side to side. The other, inferior version has black on the sides"

I have one of those feature prints as well as the Derann release and apart from very slightly less colour saturation the framing retains all of the original 2.35:1 without any cropping to the top and bottom of the original frame (unlike the Derann negative) because the optical printing incorporates a 'CineaVision' type optical reduction to retain the original framing.

I'd say both versions have their advantages and neither is a definitive version... [Wink]

Rick

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats interesting Ricky. I had heard about the cinevision 400ft scope of Star Wars, but not a cinevision feature.

Would it be possible to put up a screen capture? If not, what are the "advantages" to this different version? I love hearing about something different!

Now, in some ways, this one that you own would be worth a lot more as it is truly a rarity!

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 02:22 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bid as far as $450, but couldn't go any further. I would like to eat after Friday. LOL

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2009 02:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a great print, but I am surprised at how it keeps tricking up! I wonder where it'll end! It'll probably shoot up at the last minute!

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He does say that he requires payment IMMEDIATELY. Always makes me a bit suspicious [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] And he's moving!

Graham S

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, saw that myself.... but his scoring is good, with lots of positive feedback.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2009 07:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Star Wars Related news, I was comparing the original SW laserdisc release with the restored expanded edition, and I found in the box the original poster that was released with the first run of the 2 LP record release of the soundtrack.

No longer have that original soundtrack album, but I kept the poster, never put it up or anything, just left it folded up and put it in the laserdisc jacket to keep it in good shape, as it's unripped and all.

So I unfolded it to look at it again. This was a really interesting poster. It was a painting of the last battle scene, but it has three Millenium Falcons, as well as other ships not in the movie. I'm glad I've kept that for these thirty years!

Just thought I'd add that.

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2009 09:58 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that poster, Osi. I'm sure I hung mine up in my room, and is since long gone.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 01:28 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have the original (style D) standee for Stars Wars, although it is stuck in sisters' ex-husbands house in Kissimee florida....Anyone want to go get it? [Wink]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 09:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a kaviat on that story above ...

Along with that Star Wars poster, I had, (and had forgotten), placed in they're along with the poster, the original paper labels that I had obviously taken out of the Ken Films Super 8 jackets for the "Empire Strikes Back Super 8 release.

What a find! The labels on my existing copy of part 2 of the digest had become rather shabby, so I opened up the plastic jacket (very carefully, it's hard to do right), and replaced them! Now that part 2 is back to looking near vintage!

and meanwhile ... the countdown continues on that feature!

--------------------

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 02:13 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

The advantage of this late 80's print is that the 'CineaVision' type optical reduction used retains the original framing by placing the 2.35:1 original into the Super 8mm 2.66:1 frame using black side bars to do this.

And as you probably know the usual way 2.35:1 is placed into the Super 8mm 2.66:1 frame is by cropping off the top and bottom of the original by keeping the full width of the original in the full width of the S8 frame.

The disadvantage of this version is ever so slightly less saturation but rarer as you say. I'd like to know more of the history of this print too if anyone has any info and it was sold on 400' reels the same length as the theatrical reels [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 03:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky,

Do you have any of the "flash" from shot cut to shot cut on this Star Wars Cinevision print?

The reason why I ask, is because I have a few of the Cinevision digests, and while the color and sharpness are quite good, there is an annoying "flash" to each cut from shot to shot.
This is very apparant on the "Rooster Cogburn and the Lady" cinevision digest.

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 03:52 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi-These are negative cuts you are seeing. They are probably small white lines on the first frame of a feature cut. They should have masked it to 2:40 but it looks as though it is reduced to the actual 35mm frame line. I have some Tom & Jerry Cinevision cartoons and since there is no cuts there are no flashes. Although I do have Guns of San Sebastian & Jaws 2 and I don't recall any flashes. Maybe I will take another look.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC