8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » KING KONG

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KING KONG
Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2009 07:47 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found my Holy Grail Super 8 Sound film.... King Kong.

This is a 400 ft film and it starts at Kong's New York unveiling.

This was manufactured by Mountain Films and I found out they also released King Kong's Skull Island monster fights! Hmmmm...Love to find that one!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 24, 2009 08:45 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

There are a number of Kong extracts out there. Full length prints show up often on eBay and used film lists.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 24, 2009 09:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT box art there! I love how Kong's arm is curled back, almost like a cat. Very un-natural and therefore, very fun!

Was that an extract from King Kong, or one of the later sequels or remakes?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2009 09:37 AM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That's Great!

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were full length prints of the original KING KONG from Mountain and the quality is very good. 6 X 400ft is the entire film.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2009 12:23 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if I have the 6th installment of that series!
It's Mountain films, 400ft, New York part.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 24, 2009 12:36 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mountain 6x400ft version is an excellent release (it has a better contrats than the 16mm print I own and is more complete than the 35mm print I have in the collection).

Film Office in France also released all sorts of extracts:
- 4 x 50ft silent
- 400ft + 200ft silent
- 2 x 400ft + 1 x 400ft sound (the last reel, the NY scene, was sold separately)

UFA, in Germany, released a 3x400ft set of "King Kong vs Godzilla". I found a 2x400ft release of "King Kong's Escaped" in Spain, I don't know who put that one out (that's one ugly red print).

Marketing released a superb 4 x 400ft digest of the 1976 version (the 300ft reel sold through the Revue brand is a trimmed version of Marketing's part#4).

Classic offers a splendid scope trailer of the 2005 version.

Hope you can find the other reels of the Mountain release...
[Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2009 08:35 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 6 x 400 Mountain version and the print is very nice, only the front Mountain titles and censorship logos at the start are dark. The main titles are fine. Contast is good and it's sharp too.

Is this the full length theatrical version I have always wondered? Maybe it was another similar film, but as a kid I seem to recall a scene where you could see Kong tied up on the ship for the return to NYC. In my version he is captured on the island and the next you see is the cut to New York.

David

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2009 09:07 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, No tied up in the ship scene in the 1933 original. Carl Denham shouts "We'll all be millionaires boys, I'll share it with all of you!" Cut to NYC.

They show Kong in the tank of the ship while transporting him to New York in the 1976 remake though.

That's going to become my mission, finding all of Kong on Super 8!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is how 'Kong' goes: he's knocked out, we dissolve to Manhattan. I have never heard of any scenes involving the transport in the '33 original.

I had the Mountain 6-by-400 back as a teen and it is complete with the censored native scenes and such.
(It was a great buy, along with their other 'big RKOs' on offer at the time, such as "Citizen Kane.")

My current 16mm version of "Kong" (US negative) still has the censored scenes inserted from another source, not as part of a complete negative as the Mountain one was/is.

P.S. I am sure mz. Wray would have had a thing or two to say about how she was portrayed on that box art.... [Wink]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 09:51 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Timothy and Claus, that makes me feel a lot better. It really is a great film to have on Super 8.

David

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 10:17 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great find Timothy!!

I have the 2X200 Collectors Club version which I fleshed out with a version called "Kong battles the Monsters". makes a nice full 600' reel cutdown. Unfortunatly it is a silent version.
I thought I had found my holy grail when I won (well it was listed as a sound 4X400) version of King Kong on Ebay.
I received a Kong film alright but it was "Son Of Kong".
Actually I was happy anyway, unfortunatly it has an emulsion scrtach running the entire 4 reels!!

-

Cheers
Terry

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry-

The "Son Of Kong" Mountain Films box is really cool.

On The back of my Mountain Films Kong case it shows the cover art for Kong Battles The Monsters. Would LOOOOVE to find that one!

Here in Atlanta GA. We put on a show on the last Saturday of every month at the oldest operating theatre in Atlanta; The Plaza. We host great old horror/sci fi flicks on glorious 35mm!

We showed a great print of the original Kong about six months ago! [Big Grin]

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2009 09:33 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy
Kong on 35mm - on the big screen! The mouth waters.

Kong Battles The Monsters is basically the T-Rex battle, the battle in Kong's lair and with the Pterodactyl.The last two monster fights were not on the Collectors Club release.
Cheers
Terry

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the Mountain 6 x 400 KING KONG when it first came out.A fine copy,but it comes from the censored British version.It is missing three short scenes, one showing Kong stepping on natives, one a closeup of Kong chewing people and another I can't remember right now.I later bought a used, dupey, contrasty but complete American copy (source unknown)and added the missing scenes to mine. And sold the dupey, contrasty print to a friend who didn't mind the condition !!
Mountain's SON OF KONG is shortened to 61 minutes from the original 69-70. I have a complete american print which is in three overfilled 400 ft reels,so it must be a Thunderbird .

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 03:33 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a complete american print which is in three overfilled 400 ft reels,so it must be a Thunderbird .
hahahahahahaha [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 03:05 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I wrong ?

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 06:21 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe it is censored because it is British it is because of the 'Hays code'. This came in just after KING KONG was released and the film was trimmed in those gruesome scenes you describe on re-release. Some later versions then re-incorporated some or all of the deleted scenes. Sure someone else will know the full story of this and continue the post...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to recall which scenes may/may not have been cut in the Mountain/British neg. version; included the 6-400 version print, as I recall it, was:

The bronto killing the sailor.
Kong examining Ann.
Natives getting knocked off the scaffold and stomped.
Chewing scene of native (c/u stomping scene may have been cut.)
Man bitten in NY street.
"Wrong woman" thrown to the street (fall may have been trimmed.)

I have never been able to find a list of exactly what trims were made in Britain, but these are the scenes I recall still being in my print, from 30 years ago admitttedly, so I hope I am not just having wishful remembrances here.... [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC