8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » WANTED: BELA LUGOSI ON SUPER 8MM SOUND?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WANTED: BELA LUGOSI ON SUPER 8MM SOUND?
Brian Paul Cook
Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2010 10:43 PM      Profile for Brian Paul Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for Bela Lugosi on Super 8mm Sound and know of only a couple of releases period. Does anyone have a complete/incomplete list of his films released on Super 8mm sound? I know Niles films released WHITE ZOMBIE and, I believe, RETURN OF CHANDU the feature version. The MYSTERY OF THE MARIE CELESTE is also available, but that's where I leave off. Someone told me they actually released THE APE MAN, VOODOO MAN and others on an English label, but I have not seen any proof of this. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Am looking for WHITE ZOMBIE, RETURN OF CHANDU, and any others that may turn up. Thank you.
Brian Cook

--------------------
Brian Paul Cook

|  IP: Logged

Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2010 05:24 AM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how much help i can be,i know there are others that may have the complete list of his films on Super 8 with sound,but i found these on the net within a minute or two.

How up to date these are is anyones quess

http://www.a-1video.com/horror,_sci-fi,etc.htm

THE TRIAL OF FRANKENSTEIN
This is one of two edited excerpts from Universal's "The Ghost of Frankenstein" with Lon Chaney Jr. ascending to the role of the monster and Bela Lugosi reprising his role as Algore, the devious, conniving control freak trying to rule the world (no, I didn't mis-spell the name!) Assuming that the home movie collector never saw the full length feature, Castle Films edited and re-arranged the scenes to tell some primitive idea of a story. What results is more like the feel of a chapter serial. Still, it is an entertaining short that gives the customer their moneys worth with plenty of action an minimal plot dialogue.
Super 8mm Sound / b & w /200--foot reel / Ex-LN condition / mint orig.
box...............$30.

THE WOLFMAN (Universal 8 Expanded digest)
starring Lon Chaney, Jr.
with Claude Raines, Bela Lugosi, Ralph Bellamy, Patrick Knowles, Evelyn Ankers, Maria ....uhh, you know
Super 8mm Sound / b & w / This is a 400-foot expanded version by Universal 8.............$50.

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943)
starring Lon Chaney, Jr & Bela Lugosi
In this Castle Films digest, two grave robbers break into the family crypt of the Talbots to steal Larry's ring. The full moon comes up and the revived wolf man escapes. Next scene, the villagers carry back a dead girl killed by the wolf man and decide to hunt him down. The wolf man falls into the cellar of the castle which Frankenstein's monster is standing around so they decide to beat the crap out of each other but this title match is cut short by an exploding dam which floods the castle as the monsters continue to fight in the flooding waters.
Super 8mm / b & w / silent / 200-foot edition from Castle Films with original box .........................$25.
Super 8mm Sound / b & w / 200-foot reel edition from Castle / with original box / ...........$40.

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943) Expanded digest
starring Lon Chaney, Jr & Bela Lugosi
This expanded edition starts with Talbot's arrival in Vasaria to meet with the Baroness Frankenstein in the hope that he will get her father's record's. While attending the Festival of the Wine, Dr. Mannering catches up with him but the monster terrorizes the gathering and Talbot escapes with the monster to the castle. Soon, Mannering, the Baroness and the old gypsy woman come to the aid of Talbot and the laboratory is restored. With the machines in full power and suspicious villagers are revolting ("They stink on ice!") and as the monster "gnaws" his way at the wolf man, the dam is blown up and the monsters are flooded away to another sequel.
Super 8mm Sound / b & w / 400-foot reel edition from Universal 8 / with original box / ...........$60.

THE SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (original digest version, later withdrawn)
starring Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Basil Rathbone
This is the early original digest version Castle put out before withdrawing it and re-editing the digest using different scenes.
In this early edition, the focus is on Rathbone and his family and the little twerp of a son ("Well, helloooo") After this nauseating scene, the digest continues with his attempts to resurrect the monster from his coma in a laboratory that could be only described as "Strickfadden-lite". The monster awakens to kidnap the obnoxious little son of Rathbone's and is kicked into the convenient sulfur pit before he can bludgeon anyone to death with Atwill's wooden arm.
Super 8mm / b & w / silent / 200-foot edition from Castle Films / with original box art repro included. .......$20
Super 8mm / b & w / silent / 200-foot edition from Castle Films / Revised edition...........................$20
Super 8mm Sound / b & w / This is a 400-foot expanded version by Universal 8 with extra scenes from the earlier version........$60.
16mm Sound / b & w / 400-foot edition from Castle Films / Ex-LN shape..............................................................................$50.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cameracraftnh.com/Movies.htm

“The Mysterious Mr. Wong”
3 reels (1200’) / Niles Film Products / B&W / $59.95
starring: Bela Lugosi / director: William Nigh
1934 / 63 minutes

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 14, 2010 06:47 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there is the Shipboard Interview from 1952 with Jack Magnan, about 7 minutes, which was oft-coupled as a companion piece with Babe Hardy's interview from 1950 - Nice Super 8 Sound 200' reel - I only have Hardy's segment, however - Shorty

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
several films have been released by various companies.. Niles had a very nice Invisible Ghost. A couple of firms put out Devil Bat. There are many versions , from 200ft silent to full feature of The Human Monster(Dark Eyes of London). Sometimes Plan 9 shows up on ebay. Black Dragons...I've seen a super 8 of that one...but I think it's rare. If you are looking for White Zombie, DO NOT buy the Niles version....the print was horrid. There are others out there much better.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 14, 2010 10:42 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

The 1935 Murder By Television and the East Side Kids comedy Spooks Run Wild are out there in Super 8 sound.

Walton released Mother Riley Meets the Vampire as a feature and as 2 different 200 footers.

-

There's also a 1933 interview available:

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 14, 2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, as usual, I'm half-on-the-money, or all lost at all - While I'm here, anyone have a 100' box or can to sell? - Shorty

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2010 02:50 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'DRACULA' is available FULL LENGTH Super 8mm B/W Sound and also 'ABBOTT and COSTELLO meet FRANKENSTEIN' FULL LENGTH Super 8mm B/W Sound and I'm sure there are others but it's early and my brain needs to wake up! (maybe I'll edit later!)

Best
Rick

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2010 02:51 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was early! [Confused]

[ May 16, 2010, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: Ricky Daniels ]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted May 15, 2010 07:47 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm interested to get a full-length MEET F

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also available: THE DEATH KISS,GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE (Bowery Boys),THE GORILLA (Ritz Bros),I CHANGED MY SEX (GLENN OR GLENDA) and a rare silent, MIDNIGHT GIRL. Also the complete serials SOS COAST GUARD and THE RETURN OF CHANDU.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2010 07:41 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all my years of collecting, I've never come across A&C MEET FRANKY in full-length Super 8. Who released it?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 15, 2010 08:08 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

A few years back CHC distributed German prints of that title. The titles were in German, of course.

Doug

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2010 06:50 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug. Did it have English dialogue?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 18, 2010 08:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

Yes it did. It was suggested that one could replace the opening title sequence (in German) with the beginning from the U-8 400' version. Joe Taffis is selling his feature print.

Doug

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2010 09:10 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting -- and it doesn't even have German sub-titles?

I guess in German it is "Abbott and Costello meet FRAAAHN-ken-STEEN".

[Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC