8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » An amazing price for an amazing amateur film.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An amazing price for an amazing amateur film.
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 08, 2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
An amateur film ended today on e bay UK for an amazing price.
It was a 400ft colour sound Super 8mm film taken in New York in 1980.
It featured all the usual sight seeing attractions of this wonderful exciting city as well as loads of fantastic arial shots taken from a helicopter ride!
It did look just a fantastic film to own and treasure, even more so of course as it features the World Trade Centre twin towers but nevertheless I was still astonished that the film fetched £117! For a 400 footer!

For those interested who were not watching the item, the number was 281584775532.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2015 01:36 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I used to have an ameteur film of New York taken in 1974, not long after the twin towers were erected. I telecined it (not my best effort) and theres a bit where a plane flies over the towers that is a bit spooky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSjeHTThY4o

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 08, 2015 02:12 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look John. I should imagine any film of New York in sound would be of great interest to most collectors, myself included.

--------------------

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lucky winner lives in Romania. I was half expecting it to go to the USA. I bought this collection a few months ago and there are some really excellent ones amongst them . There are some more to come, which I havn't even viewed properly yet, eg

A silent film featuring a trip to New York and Washington, returning to the UK on Concorde 1979, 1000ft
A sound film film a holiday in Thailand 1980, 4*400ft
A sound film of a trip to New York on QE2, returning on Concorde 1984, 600ft

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2015 03:04 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in newyork summer 2001,and took a couple of shots of the twin towers,on kodachrome,silent
I think this was a couple of months before 9/11,and did wonder if this might be the last movie film taken of the towers.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 08, 2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love the QE2 Concorde film Phil!!!!
Jeeeez did the film maker win the pools?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I had a go on the N.Y. film but didn't get even close ha ha.

Treasure it David, Tragically....you might own a piece of amateur Super 8mm footage history!

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2015 05:32 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching this auction too, wow what a price for what is an amateur film. I purchased one of these that was shot at an air show and museum in the 70's. It is great social history, shot on film, and has survived the test of time. My film must have been shot with a camera capable of shooting 200ft at one go, because mine I'm sure has no splices, so that rules out the top end canon 1014 XLS, my guess with the exposure and rock solid picture framing, could only be a Braun Nizo, with its top loading cartridge. These are exotic locations, especially for the time, if the person who shot these films could afford a holiday like this, then the camera cost would have been no problems, I'm glad he did take the camera.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 08, 2015 05:54 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Paul! You deserve the best of what's out there pal, you are totally devoted to your hobby and probably appreciates it more than many. Now shall we go halves on Concorde?? ha ha [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2015 06:34 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, Andrew I'm tempted mate !!!, lets form a partnership like storage hunters !!!!!. The film I have has some shots of the fated Russian version of the Concorde, sadly crashing at the Paris Air show a week later. The colour has held up well on these films, and the cameraman has done a great job, they're real homemade travelogue's, Alan Wicker style just great. I will be using my camera more now that's for sure.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2015 07:47 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched John Yapp's Youtube video of a Super8 of N.Y. ....yes it is especially interesting as it shows the Twin Towers....Still a horrible day in history worldwide when that attack happened [Frown]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2015 03:47 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from the holidays, the film maker went to loads of airshows throughout the 1960s and 70s. Whenever he took a plane flight, he almost always managed to get onto the flight deck, even on Concorde! Not something airlines would allow these days.
Paul, as for the camera, the film collection also included a Braun Nizo 4080 sound camera (and also a Eumig S926GL super 8 projector by the way). Could this be the camera he used? Its not top loading and I'm not sure if they took the 200 foot cartridges. The only problem is, the battery holder is missing so I can't test it. Anyone know where I can get one?

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2015 03:49 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from the holidays, the film maker went to loads of airshows throughout the 1960s and 70s. Whenever he took a plane flight, he almost always managed to get onto the flight deck, even on Concorde! Not something airlines would allow these days.
Paul, as for the camera, the film collection also included a Braun Nizo 4080 sound camera (and also a Eumig S926GL super 8 projector by the way). Could this be the camera he used? Its not top loading and I'm not sure if they took the 200 foot cartridges. The only problem is, the battery holder is missing so I can't test it. Anyone know where I can get one?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 09, 2015 04:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There will be plenty knocking around on e bay Germany Phil or by trying FFR Filmtechnik, Kinotechnik Rinser, Edwin Van Eck or Wittners etc etc.

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2015 06:57 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil, I'm the sure 6080 braun was a 200ft capable, but not sure that 4080 was, could check though. The film I had didn't have any splices in the 200ft reel, but maybe they were that well done I missed them. These Braun cameras only take rechargeable batteries Phil, not the normal penlight batteries so be warned, it will damage the electronics inside. I have a battery holder Phil for that camera, you can lone if you want to test it. I get the batteries from the pound shop, they do the low millivolt rechargeable 2 for a pound. Let me know what want to do and i'll send the bits to you.

Phil Slater
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2015 09:53 AM      Profile for Phil Slater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. PM sent.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil, I checked the Braun, and no it doesn't take the 60m cartridge. If you need the manual, go to super8 arena and you can download the user manual for free.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2015 01:31 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil, you have a new pm before I send item to you.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC