8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo GS1200 For Sale. UK only. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Elmo GS1200 For Sale. UK only.
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2018 08:27 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have for sale my ELMO GS 1200 projector. Serial # 825781.

The lens is an Elmo F:1.1.

It is in excellent working order and condition.

I am asking £ 850.00 for it. Payment via Paypal " as a gift " please.

I am giving forum members first offer of it.

If it does not sell it will just have to go on ebay.

The buyer will have to arrange a courier pick up from my home though as i do not drive and stay in a village. So am unable to get it to a courier depot. I can recommend UPS.

I will double box this heavy projector as secure as possible for transit and to prevent any damage.

However the upper casing does have three small holes drilled out for a Scope lens swing away bracket i no longer have. Sorry no photos at the moment as i am having a problem.

I hope to get some done and will email them to any potential buyer via Email to anyone interested hopefully in the next few days.

I am selling it due to downsizing and failing health reasons and the fact i hardly ever use it these days and the fact it is getting to heavy for me to lug around.

I have the original box for it and the microphone and the original soft cover but alas no user manual or 1200 foot spool which has gone astray due to my house move a couple of years ago.

Please PM me if you are interested.

[ June 19, 2018, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: David Hardy ]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2018 04:47 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is no one interested ? Time is running out.

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2018 03:10 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Price reduced to £ 800. 00 .

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2018 06:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David

If you have some photos of your GS it would help to promote your sale - feel free to email them to me and I will be happy to resize and upload them here for you.

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2018 10:21 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin thanks.

Its just about to go on Ebay. I am a bit reluctant to do so though.

I have messaged you.

[Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2018 05:13 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please see below some of the pictures David sent me of his GS1200 for sale:

-

-

-

-

-

-

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2018 02:40 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

Thanks again for your very kind help loading the pictures for me.

Cheers ! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2018 03:46 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is now listed for sale on Ebay too [Big Grin]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2018 11:33 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i must state i am rather surprised thus far there has been no response or interest in this alleged "Rolls Royce" of a Super 8mm projector.

Do people feel my asking price is rather high ? [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2018 01:59 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GS normally sells at around £500 David, give or take a bit. Yours is a nice clean one so you are starting higher than normal on flea bay. The xenon sells for more, but you have the higher cost of lamps etc, perhaps start lower and put a reserve on it, nothing to loose if you got no bids......

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2018 05:52 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul thanks for letting me know that. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2018 06:14 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? Have these machines experienced a drop in their re-sale value? They used to sell for about £1,000 or a little more in Euro, Is there less demand?

--------------------
Maurizio

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2018 05:00 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio

It may be the case the GS1200 has lost some of its value here only in the UK.

However i do not know this for sure as dealers tend to sell them from £ 895.00 upwards depending on the condition and whether it is Xenon lamped or not . [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2018 05:29 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are a beautiful machine, but many enthusiasts feel that they are over engineered and can be problematic because of it. There was a time when I seriously considered getting one, but when you hear the experiences of owners, it tends to dissuade potential buyers. It certainly did for me.
For me that is the reason for the fall in prices. Any prospective purchaser would have to factor in expensive spares and repairs/ service costs.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2018 05:55 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, I have 2 GS1200 machines and I love them both, my second one was from Ian which was £800 and that was only last year so the price is there or thereabouts. They are still being advertised by sellers at £1,000.00 + but.............

The problem you will have, and this is only my opinion is it looks to be an early mark 1 machine with only a 1.1 lens, both mine are the later mark 3 machines and both have the much desired 1.0 lens. This could be a reason you aren't getting the interest you hoped for, hope this helps, Del.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2018 05:42 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry and Dell thanks for your contributions to my question. I am now having second thoughts about my asking price.

I may now reduce it quite a bit but just sell it with an F:1.3 lens instead in order to justify my price reduction. I am sure any Elmo GS1200 fan could find an alternative lens. I will use the Elmo F:1.1 lens elsewhere. [Smile]

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2018 08:32 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for everyone's inputs.... I still think the (alleged) over engineering of this machine is part of its charm: there are things you can only do with this projector and the fact it's built very well (that is resieliently) is very important, of course apart from those plastic parts which may scratch BUT everybody now should be able to fix them for good. This machines love to be used: the most important parts, like claw, shutter, gate, heads etc are made to last (almost) forever: you can screen your films repeatedly on a daily basis and these parts will hardly develop wear marks: try that with a Bauer or a Beaulieu or Eumig!!!

I myself own a Mark I version and never had big issues apart from the known ones: once sorted, it runs and runs and runs.... Never let critical components (such capacitors) rest for too long and this machine will serve you for years: plus there are people very well in "the know" on both sides of the pond, who can strip this projector and fix any problems. Parts don't seem to be an issue, either....

I am afraid the fact people tend to be put off by this machine (which resulted in developing a bad reputation, of late) is also down to its being spoken about in a bad way more often than not and this is very sad because they are missing great chances: I mean come on, how can one prefer a 708 priced (in general) at € 1000+ (a machine which is not void of inherent pitfals especially re. the double motor system) and dismiss GS 1200s?... And let's not forget the Elmo 1.0 is the sharpest lens in the world...

--------------------
Maurizio

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2018 01:43 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with ALL Super 8 projectors is that they were not intended for film collectors but movie makers who shot super 8 and ran the odd package movie. In regards to Elmo 1200 series ST and GS over engineered and totally unreliable to a film collector who runs features. A comparison to Apple 1st run products before they iron out the quirks or those Samsung phones that keep you warm by going on fire would be apt. I have known many collectors who have bought Elmo 1200 and been all smiles😃 at the start before it turn to tears 😭😭😭😭when their dream machine give them more heartache than they can cope with. I can think of many shows were they have been the projector and you hear more pops cracks and weird noises on a soundtrack that have never been heard before. They also seem to nearly book an annual holiday for themselves to be serviced to try and remove problems with some little expert projector man. I knew one projector that went away for a year came back fixed only to develop another problem within weeks.

I like and used the small Elmos 160, 180 and 800s, Sanyko 800s and Bell & Howells DCR DCTs. T all class workhorses and reliable and kind to films.

Have to say David your machine looks the bees knees and if I took an insanity tablet I would buy it but would need to eat more spinach to carry it these days.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 09, 2018 02:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to say, we have had three Elmo ST1200HD's for 35/40 years and aside the usual servicing and replacing a few worn items, we have never really had any trouble. With well over 300 features these machines are all still going strong.
I dont think any machines were designed to go on forever, certainly not the 30/40 years or more that many are doing.
I always fancied the GS but for our use, it is way over engineered for what we need it for. Great for those who want to re rerecord soundtracks.
I wouldn't say the St1200 series was over engineered though [Wink]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 09:12 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are lucky Tom. You must have had your ST 1200s from either new or with little use. I bought two ST 180 new in 1987 and 1988 and have never had any issues. Any ST1200s I was offered or came across we clapped out / worn out. As you say they werent over engineered it was the GS1200 who had that fault. I remember a collector trying to buy new GS1200s around 1985/86 with no success so I would say most machines are 40 years old.

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 11:03 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pleasure David, don't be too put off though, I have seen spares and repair machines go on ebay for £4/500.00, could also be the time of the year, it's flippin hot and projectors are not at the front of most people's minds. Maybe when we get to September give it another try, anyway good luck with it, they are terrific machines.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 10, 2018 03:28 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your right Mike, certainly the one i use the most which has been serviced with Bill over the last 10 years was almost new when i bought it. I also bought a fair few spares from Hanimax when they were around including many of the green second sprocket guides which on the HD's seem to cause a problem when worn.
Regarding Davids for sale, i think Dell's probably right, it is so hot in the UK at the moment i cant see too many people looking in or viewing films, however, where i live i am very lucky that my film room is the coolest part of the house not getting much above 15/18C all year round, (so far), so at the moment i am in there more than usual.

Sorry to go off topic here, (got carried away [Big Grin] ),
Anyway David, im sure that machine will go, its certainly not over priced from what ive seen around. [Wink]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 03:34 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no regrets having switched from ST1200HD units to the mighty GS1200. For awhile there yes it was very frustrating in fact from what I’ve learned from all of this I have valuable information to give anyone considering the same idea .

I am proud to say all my GS machines are now serviced and although they have certain quirks of each one they appear to run my prints very good.

I will stay with the GS1200.

Chip G

Thomas Edwards
Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2018 05:55 AM      Profile for Thomas Edwards     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a Beaulieu twin track no problems.more reliable than the stereo version super wide aperture on the lens simple to work on and release the film half way if you get a problem and finally does not scratch.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading a review on the chinon SS1200 last night, and was surprised to read they retailed at £795.00?, no wonder so many GS1200's are around. All the high end projectors have there own problems, you pays you money you takes your choice, you can't have an omelette without breaking a few eggs.....

[ July 11, 2018, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Paul Browning ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC