8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Gone With The Wind feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gone With The Wind feature
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 02, 2014 04:30 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GONE WITH THE WIND
8X600ft Reels colour sound
Derann Films

Amazingly nobody has done a review of GWTW so we need to put this to rights obviously.

From a fading memory I believe this reached Super 8mm in 1987 (someone can put me right if I have that incorrect) and around the release date I obtained a print which locally with my film collector friends went down in 8mm history and led to us projecting the film very VERY regularly over a 12 month period or so. The shows were always packed as our friends would then arrange to bring other friends and family along so it turned into quite a memorable time way back then. I used two identical machines side by side so the only time there was a break in projection was at the interval. Very happy days!

Now then the review. The boxes and yes all eight of them have some nice traditional GWTW artwork on each containing 600ft reels with either LPP film base or in later years the AGFA film stock types. The earlier LPP prints are brighter and far less contrasty but you do have a choice when looking for a used film print. Gone With The Wind was a troubled production with many ups and downs causing much strain on its producer David O. Selznick, but after much delay and re writes it did finally get finished and boy what a movie with a stunning cast list including Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Leslie Howard to name but a few. I have always thought Leslie was superb in this film with his ponderous looks and they did such a great job on his makeup and costumes showing him off at his very best, Vivien also giving a stellar performance and perhaps her best.

Preparation when projecting this lengthy film is key as is the presentation you give of it. I found it best to make an event of it all posting out invitations for your private screening, laying on food where your audience can chat over the film after the screening which all adds to the overall filmic experience. Derann Films secured some very nice master material for this release of the story wrapped around the American Civil War and this transcended to 8mm beautifully being a popular collector’s title perhaps with the more serious 8mm collectors. I recall my numerous screenings often and regularly romance about them as you do…age is sometimes a wonderful thing you know.

The Super 8 print is gorgeous and although as we know we now have a remastered, remastered updated Blu-Ray disc available I personally much prefer the 8mm release above all else for the home big screen experience. The problem for me with all the remastering of this gem which has taken place over the years is, its been mucked about with so much I could ask is it still the same watch as the original? On 8mm it looks organic also with its original sound track plus you have the physical experience of projecting a true classic movie like no other that is for sure. It is a colourful view with many shades and fantastic use of lighting like no other in my opinion, a crafted story and on screen performances of the highest calibre.

So on with the show! From the minute the opening title hits the screen and the wonderful Max Steiner musical score exits the speakers the audience are drawn to the screen. Projecting reels 1,2,3,4 then lead us into the interval logo which is a very nice touch and time to break out the ice creams perhaps. I think out of the final 4 600ft reels I would probably site reel 8 as the best view of all where the multi facetted storyline all comes together ending on ‘tomorrow is another day’ a hopeful sentiment and we hear the final rise of music and not a dry eye in the house.

Well there you have it, a home projectionists view of Gone With The Wind a super 8 film I have projected probably more than any other and certainly one of the longest to make it onto 8mm film. My own rating for this will most certainly be 10/10 for everything and a high point in Derann Films history for bringing us the best on our home screens.

Print 10/10
Sound 10/10
Repeatability 10/10
Fun projecting 10/10

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2014 05:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
those screenshots are superb my friend . i remember it being released the shop was bursting with people wanting it

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 01:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin and remember it well. Looking back it’s an aspect of film collecting newcomers will miss out on now with the loss of the super Derann Open Days and the excitement of a new release launch. Gone With The Wind was no exception and as we know a hot seller for them over the years. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 10:00 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What can I say. A great review Lee, and superb screen shots.
A true, one of a kind, collector classic, to be treasured for a lifetime.

................and hopefully mounted on reels! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a gorgeous print, Lee.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 03, 2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great review and pics, we are also fortunate to have this feature and this is one is think where no poor prints were produced, every one was top notch.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To when it was released:
I bought my copy in the summer of '86, and I remember having put away a small sum of money every month for about a year to be able to buy it. (It was really expensive) So it was probably released sometime around the winter of 84/85. (It was also the first film I bought from Derann)
Someone with a collection of Movie Maker could probably find out the exact time of release.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 04, 2014 02:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all. Yup for me its best left on the original 600ft runs and use two projectors side by side, perhaps more of a nostalgia trip for me these days projecting it that way Paul. Likewise Lars it was a case of save to buy it back then, I forget the original price but it was quite a bit but you soon realised you had treated yourself to some quality once it was screened.

-

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2014 06:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
phil at chc had a copy of this for sale

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2015 06:12 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee
Thanks for those "screenshots" of GWTW.Superb!
I too have a print of this classic still in the original boxes.
It was great to read that you do good old fashioned "change-overs" when projecting it. Very professional of you.
A great informative review as I never realized it was printed on different film stocks. I need to check mine soon.

Dave Hardy

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 31, 2015 07:14 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
A superb film to have in your collection David. I know Lee had his print up for sale recently,though I don't know if it was sold or not?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted June 01, 2015 04:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Lees latest post has provided us all with the answer! [Razz]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 02, 2015 04:25 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a wonderful film to have and not saying that as I have a spare for sale but a really nice quality print.

GWTW is probably the most loved film in the archive here...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 02, 2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, how did you end up with two? Did you forget you already had it? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 02, 2015 08:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ta ha probably [Cool]
Looking back if we could have only bottled all that enthusiasm when Derann launched this title it sold like hot pies.
Happy days!

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The usual versions of GWTW have the main title scroll across the screen from right to left. I notice that this version has a different main title. Are there any other differences from the standard version in this Derann print?

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2015 10:38 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul as far as I know the original wind swept title for Gone With The Wind was replaced with the version used for the re-issue Widescreen release. The rest of the feature is as the original 1939 original release.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2015 06:55 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC