8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » My first post ! 16mm projector Lens Hack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first post ! 16mm projector Lens Hack
Vangelis Lympouridis
Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Vangelis Lympouridis   Author's Homepage   Email Vangelis Lympouridis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am new to this forum and to the 16mm film world and this is my first post! I ve learned so much reading older posts during the past few months...and I would like to thank you all!
It was a sad surprise for me when I realized that most projectors are equipped with 50mm lenses producing sharp but very small image at a common room size projection. (around 6-7m distance from the wall in my case)
Unfortunately wide lenses for projectors are rare and expensive so I tried to work out another solution. After several attempts I finally managed to enjoy a sharp 1.80cm to 1.40cm projection with a cheap lens conversion. I used a 2x 52mm teleconverter bought in ebay for 20£ which I attached reversed at the end of my projector's lens. The image was surprisingly crisp.
If you want more info or images from this hack please contact me and I will be happy to share. Best,

--------------------
V~

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2009 09:16 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vangelis and welcome,
I am constantly amazed at the ingenuity of collectors in getting around little problems. It's what makes this hobby of ours such fun. I also agree that this forum is such an excellent source of help and advice from all over the world that I don't know how I would manage without it.

Paul.

Darren Payne
Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 03:05 AM      Profile for Darren Payne   Email Darren Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there Vangelis,

Sounds great, can you post a picture of the set up for us to see?

Thanks and welcome.

Vangelis Lympouridis
Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 04:08 AM      Profile for Vangelis Lympouridis   Author's Homepage   Email Vangelis Lympouridis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your interest and your warm welcome.
The lens I used was a 52mm 2X High Definition Tele Converter. The cheapest one I got was for 20£ or 29$.
The lens has to be placed reversed. It is bigger than the projector's lens so you need to put some soft material between the two. I ve used blue tack, but there are other more pro solutions. It needs to be attached straight!
Finally I used strong gaffer tape to secure them.
I was sooo happy with the result ! (my friends too... ;-)
I will try to post an image of the projection with and without the attached lens the following days for you to compare.
best~
Check lens image @
http://panorama.net16.net/poingpoingdotpoing/lens_web.jpg

--------------------
V~

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 04:58 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vangelis and again, welcome to the Forum. We're all a bit nuts here, but it's really good fun, and you WILL make a lot of new friends.

Very ingenious conversion - well done! the pics are very interesting.

I think I must be one of the few who enjoys the smaller but better resolution picture on the screen, as I usually project with a 50mm or 2" lens, giving approx. a 1M wide picture. Anyway, - whatever turns you on, - so to speak.

Enjoy!!!

With best regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 29, 2009 08:08 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Vangelis, welcome to the forum.

Very clever contraption. I just used a similar assay on my VP using a converter taken from my 35mm projector to reduce the size as I was projecting from a long way away... [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a VP lens on 16mm also. I have an Epson wide expander lens that is plus 20 percent. The rear element is huge. It would cover 35mm. My NT1 uses a 25mm lens, already very short and wide, to get 4ft by 3ft in my living room. For prints that are widescreen masked or to get that Imax effect, I have the Epson lens on a retort stand - a lab stand - in front. Excellent results. Epson lens = £35, lab stand = £20, both eBay UK.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Vangelis Lympouridis
Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Vangelis Lympouridis   Author's Homepage   Email Vangelis Lympouridis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David ! Hello Jean-Marc ! Hello Steven !

Thanks for adding up to the conversation. I do enjoy a big projection and the result in terms of resolution is not bad at all I think... Steven I tried to find out what an epson wide expander is...no luck.Can you please post more details or a photo?
Jean-Marc is it a theater you live in? hehe reduce the size? that is amazing ! I am sure you enjoy your projections a lot :-)
Best regards
V.

--------------------
V~

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 30, 2009 01:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vangelis, yes, I have a cinema in my basement, but the converter on my VP was used at a venue I was renting for a music festival.

--------------------

Vangelis Lympouridis
Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2009 03:54 AM      Profile for Vangelis Lympouridis   Author's Homepage   Email Vangelis Lympouridis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jean-Marc

Was that "babes of Metal"?? It seems so cool..! I missed this years festival but I will put it on my calender for the next year. Should I suppose that you were VJing with film projectors or there were also some film projections during the festival?
Anyway as this getting out of context please email me at
<myname>@<my surname>.gr
Have a nice day, all

--------------------
V~

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 30, 2009 04:38 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vangelis, yes that was the "babes of metal" festival. I'm the producer/manager of Wildpath, the headline act.
The festival was put together to celebrate the release of their second album and turned out to be a success and I'm considering an extended version (ie- whole week-end) for next year.
Report can be seen on this web page.
Now, back to topic, the VP and converter were used for two reasons :
1 - Wildpath's show starts with a video projected on the curtain that ends with the band's logo. The curtain opens and the logo is projected on the band itself.
2 - During stage changes, there was a slide show promoting all the "babes". Said slide-show can be seen here

--------------------

Vangelis Lympouridis
Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2009 04:52 AM      Profile for Vangelis Lympouridis   Author's Homepage   Email Vangelis Lympouridis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oupsss.
Now I got it... you used a lens from a 35mm to a Video Projector (VP) aaaaaha!... now suddenly all makes sense :-)
Thanks...and I was wondering what this VP was in film slang... Thats great it seems like you had an excellent time there..
Maybe we should arrange a gig in Edinburgh the Gothic surrounding is great for this music and of course for a video clip for the band ;-)
best~

--------------------
V~

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Epson lens is the 'wide conversion lens' ELPCW01. I only have the manual in Japanese and it has no lens 'value' markings on the barrel. I said plus 20 percent but in fact taking 4 ft wide to 6 is plus a third. Now I think about it. It works well but is a huge piece of glassware weighing 650g.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC