8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Post-Elmo 16-CL disaster clean-up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Post-Elmo 16-CL disaster clean-up?
Stephen Tinius
Junior

- posted December 24, 2012 09:52 PM      Profile for Stephen Tinius   Email Stephen Tinius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A complete film/projector novice, I fired up an inherited Elmo 16-CL to view some 60-year-old gun camera film from my father's F-86 fighter training in 1953. The first pass went fine, then I re-wound and tried to watch a second time. To my dismay, I discovered the rubber on several rollers had liquified into an awful goo, and had deposited that goo on the film, as well.

I have found several notes in this forum on the topic and now know that the rubber deterioration is a common occurrence. I have located a couple of sources for having the rollers repaired, but I need some instructions for cleaning the projector and whether it is possible to clean the film.

I can wipe out the projector film path with cotton swabs and some solvent or thinner or alcohol, but what's safe and appropriate for film? What's the method? Is it even possible?

I would appreciate any assistance. Merry Christmas.

Thanks and regards,
Stephen Tinius
Myrtle Beach SC USA

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 24, 2012 11:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For removing any kind of sticky mess on films, I use label removal pens, which are effective. You use tissues to wife off the residue and repeat if necessary.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Stephen Tinius
Junior

- posted December 25, 2012 10:03 PM      Profile for Stephen Tinius   Email Stephen Tinius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mess is on almost the entire film, a 6-inch 16mm reel. There is goo on about every third frame...

I guess I'm asking whether there is anything that will remove the liquified rubber which will not harm the film or images.

Thanks,

--------------------
-stephen

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 25, 2012 11:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar issue with the rollers and film on my Elmo 16-CL when I first got it. I used a combination of Goo Gone and Alcohol applied to small cut up pieces of an old clean T-Shirt. The best would be to use a 16mm viewer or re-winder so you can advance the film manually. However you can probably clean it on the projector arms by either manually rotating the reels or faster using rewind. You may have to do apply several application passes of the Goo Gone + Alcohol combination each pass thinning the rubber residue until it's gone and ending it a final pass of just alcohol.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2013 12:08 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I just bought on eBay a Elmo Channel Loading 16-CL Optical 16mm Film Movie Projector to show my 20,000 LEAGUES FEATURE I also just bought. Is that going to mean I will have goo on my rollers to deal with ? I never had a Elmo 16 mm projector before. Can anyone tell me what I have to look forward to? Can I get Goo Gone from eBay?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 08, 2013 07:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi...when you first get the projector check the rollers. They may be fine. If any black goo comes off on your finger then don't run any film through it and order a set of new rollers. Also open the back and make sure the belts are good and it's clean inside. You can use just alcohol for general cleaning. I get Goo Gone at Dollar Tree...but Walgreens sells it. Here's a link to their website http://www.googone.com

I hope you get a good machine Laksmi....mine was in poor shape when I got it. It had a broken gear...bad rollers...and the sound head misaligned. However after making the repairs it's running great well worth the expense and effort. I just wish I had more 16mm films. I have a beautiful copy of Curly Sue that I screened for my family this Xmas. Lots of oohhhhhh's and ahhhhhh's [Smile]

If you need manuals for it...I have the User Manual and the Service Manual...just pm me with your email address.

[ January 10, 2013, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 01:05 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Janice. I will give you a point by point run down of my whole machine. If and when I get it. I will clean every thing before I put my only 16mm film 20,000 Leagues under the Sea in it. I only got it to play my movie. I wish I had a super 8 feature of it. I want to buy a new Elmo SC-18 .

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 09, 2013 02:26 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, keep us posted and you might want to pickup an inexpensive 16mm short reel of film to use for testing.

--------------------
Janice

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 10:19 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do Super 8mm projectors have this goo on the rollers? I never noticed it before on my Elmo SC-18 .

--------------------

Stephen Tinius
Junior

- posted January 09, 2013 10:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Tinius   Email Stephen Tinius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I'm trying to send you a PM for the manuals and the system says your mailbox is full. Please send to kstinius at gmail daught com.

Many thanks,

--------------------
-stephen

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 09, 2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi...This happens primarily with certain kinds of rubber. I don't know the scientific reason for this...but the rubber decomposes. I've seen this with several belts on 8mm projectors.. including my Elmo ST-800.

Stephen...Sorry about my PM bucket being full...I have cleared it out [Smile] I will email you the links to download the manuals.

--------------------
Janice

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2013 09:11 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Janice I got my 16-Cl today it has one of the bottom midle roller with goo. How do I clean it can I use filmguard?

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 16, 2013 11:38 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't clean it...you'll need to replace it.

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC