8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Super thin 16mm film stock.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super thin 16mm film stock.
Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 01:38 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I just got my first shipment of 16mms and I keep on learning more about this beautiful art. First thing I learned of is (for any gauge of film)LPP, which is just breath-taking as I have a 1953 documentary that is out of this world in clarity and sharpness. Next, I find out that there's extra thin film that is not only brighter on the big screen, but also gets more running time out of the same volume of film vs. thicker film stock. Anyone care to share their wisdom and keep this amateur even more in awe [Smile] ?

Btw, the film I noticed this on is the 1985 Oscar winning short "Molly's Pilgrim", just a sweet little movie. Thanks all once more and let the chit chat commence [Big Grin] !!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089612/

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 06:14 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like polyester stock on some of your films, if it won't break easily then that proves it. Also you cannot use cement to splice it, only tape.

Because I only use tape never noticed if any of my 16mm are polyester. Plenty of my super 8 are.

Some of my 16mm film are quite old now, most were bought from America from about mid 80's till 2000.

"Hopscotch" A TV print still good colour, sound was censored in a couple of places. When I checked all they had done was stick blopping tape over the soundtrack, pealed it off sound good.

"Where Eagles Dare" A TV print the snow is turning.

"Kelly's Heroes" Scope, but faded.

"Arabesque" Spot on colour IB TECH on the leaders.

Nice to hear that you are new to film. Its fun hobby and entertaining too. Magic in fact.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 09:01 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,
thanks so much for your input, can you please tell me what the advantages of polyester are, as a pose to traditional acetate (besides thinness, of course) [Smile] ? Also, can you tell me what your 2000s titles are on 16mm, I'm just curious about super recent movies on film XD... I am actually not new to projectors n all, just new to this forum is all and thanks again for being real helpful and spreading the wisdom and making me earn my title, good sir ("Expert film handler" at the moment)!!!

Best,
ET

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 10:03 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the major advantages to polyester is that is not prone to (or at least believed not to be prone to) the dreaded vinegar syndrome that acetate based film can be. It comes from the different chemical composition of the polyester stock than what is on triacetate film stock.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2013 11:53 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, Matt [Smile] ... Gosh I'm learning a lot, I LOVE THIS FORUM [Big Grin] !!!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 13, 2013 12:03 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Elyas,I too have some 16mm on poly, like "The Hit" & "Psycho 2",which have great colour and fit onto two 1600 spools.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2013 12:08 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, Hugh... I just realized, we don't have a thread for 16mm print reviews [Frown] ? We should change that [Smile] !!!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 14, 2013 08:04 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elyas,

Considering there's only been hardly a handful of 16mm print reviews, there doesn't seem to be a need for a separate section dedicated to such. Former rental or TV print reviews aren't helpful since the quality varies greatly from print to print because these were not put into wide release for consumers by a single distributor. However, If reviews start popping up, it's worth looking into.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2013 12:27 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Doug,
thanks a lot for the optimistic and informative tips [Smile] ... I'll keep my fingers crossed then and hope you're having an awesome mid-week, Mr. Admin. [Smile] !!!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 16, 2013 10:48 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Elyas,let me say, what a thoroughly pleasant chap you sound, I
hope you stay with this forum, we're the richer for your input.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2013 07:11 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Hugh,
thank you kindly for the response, I appreciate it, good sir [Smile] !!! Of course I am staying with the forum, thanks to folks like you who give insight and words of encouragement to us novice film lovers. Hope you had a great weekend and please do stay in touch [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC