8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and Howell projector problem?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell projector problem?
Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2015 11:41 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, can some one please help i have a bell and howell tq3 projector that was working ok but not now if you put a 2200 foot spool on the back the picture jumps constantly but if i use a 1600 spool on the back it works fine seems like some kind of weight problems does anyone know what causes this is to happen thanks ?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2015 12:07 PM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nigel,
Check whether the 2200ft spool is warped and the sides are pulling at the film edge.

--------------------
Paul.

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2015 12:24 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, paul the spool was ok uptill now been used lots of thimes so a bit strange.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2015 03:02 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be the film stabilising rollers after the sound head have got stiff or stuck. Probably best to have it professionally checked out. Good luck.

--------------------
Paul.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 15, 2015 02:33 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a lighter take-up spool works OK but a heavier spool causes picture jump, then it is possible there is a problem with the take-up tension.

Tension on a Bell & Howell is varied according to the weight of the take-up spool. There is a cloth belt which pulls more tightly on a rubber drive shaft as the weight increases. The belt should have a slight slip around the rubber covered roller which itself is constantly driven.

Over time, the rubber becomes sticky, some sticky deposits are picked up on the belt. The two therefore do not allow the necessary drive slip.

It is possible that the heavier 2200' foot spool is causing the drive to lock. This will cause all of the mechanism to object and there may be vibration eventually at the cam, causing the claws to make the picture jump.

To rectify the problem, examine the belt and see if there is a rubber deposit on it. If so, reveres the belt (i.e. turn it over). Check the surface of the rubber roller. If it is sticky you could remove the rubber roller completely from its metal shaft. A scalpel is a useful tool. (Watch your fingers.)

I may be wrong in my assumptions. But do check out the rubber roller and belt before doing anything else.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC