8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Projector madness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector madness
Keith Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Keith Wilson   Email Keith Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know if it just me or do film collectors in general have more than one or two projectors I have 20 working + 6 not working for spares my family say i am mad as you can only use one at a time I have tried to sell some but every time I change my mind do I need help with my projector madness ?
ps make that 21 I just bought a FITE CN 16mm projector today

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 12, 2016 10:57 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this day and age having just one projector would be a kind of madness in of itself!

These machines are literally from the last century and we have no right to depend on them as much as we do.

-so having just one projector is one minor failure away from having just none!

You literally CAN use just one at a time, but right now I have two set up for doing academy formatted changeovers and a third set up with the 'scope lens. (Good thing I don't own a 'scope feature!)

-so that's like saying since there is only one ball on the field, sports teams should only have one player.

Tennis Anyone? (Singles Only, of course!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 11:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a machine you can still get new parts for, then in my opinion, two of them is fine.

For any others get at least the best two you can and you'll more than likely always have one that works.

I have seven, but the reality is at least 4 of them are used only twice a year to keep them healthy and the electronics in working order.

I have one which i use 70% of the time and two others that share the remaining 30% of my screenings.

What you will inevitably find no doubt, is that you have your favourite anyhow, brighter, higher reel capacity, better sound, Kind with film, quieter etc etc.

Using others then seems like a compromise.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, your not mad! I have 40+ projectors...I have actually lost count, Currently have 2 16mm, 2 regular 8mm and 2 super 8mm set up and ready to go. Also have backups in case of problems and many that don't work but look cool.

I am not married by the way!

Bill [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think anyone with 40+ projectors in a house would have to be single Bill! Ha ha ha.

Lucky you Bill! [Wink]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 12, 2016 03:11 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith
Be aware that the Fite CN16 does not have an internal speaker. I spent some time with mine wondering why there was no sound, until I discovered the reason!

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 05:31 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have over 50 projectors all 16mm
dansons debries elf blue and nt series ssl and snt
bell and howells
601 622 636
644 655 658
fumeo Kodak rca victor and many others

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 09:25 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a film collector, but I am a projector collector. At one time I had 150, I'm down to about 70 now. Wife thinks I'm nuts and if I croak before she does, they will all end up in a landfill.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2016 10:39 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have 12, plus some 'carcasses'. One thing I have tried to follow is 'a pair and a spare'. Two best machines of one model so that parts are interchangeable and if one goes for repair you still have one. You can do change-overs. If one makes a noise the other doesn't, maybe there is a problem. Comparisons in results, etc, for fault-finding. Then a third of the same type to experiment on and donate parts. Eiki NT1s - a pair and a spare. Elmo GS1200 - a pair and a spare. Elmo ST600 - a pair and a spare. But then I have a single Elmo LX, Beaulieu 708 and Eumig 938.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2016 05:23 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 x Eiki 16mm slot loaders and a B & H silent 16mm projector, all are in working condition.Oh and a Pathescope 16mm projector for display as it doesn't run well.
I have 4 x Super8 sound projectors but one doesn't go.
I have 4 x 9.5mm projectors but only the Spectro goes - in my defence I do buy more hoping to have more than one working 9.5mm but so far it's not working out that way!
But my biggest collection is about 40 x Standard 8mm silent and 1 x Standard 8mm sound projector ..... Yep I'm not married either lol
I love collecting them and when I see one I haven't got I try to buy it lol
I think having more than 1 or 2 of any guage is a good idea especially if one day I can't get a projector to run my many films on!

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 07:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe I've ever come across anyone who collects projectors but not films as well.

May I ask what you use them for then Barry? [Confused]

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2016 09:03 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew. I do have a number of films but I only got them after I started collecting projectors. I fell in love with the old metal, crinkle finish and chrome look of them. Started with 8mm, then went 16mm silent and then went to 16mm sound which was my undoing due to their weight and the work the amps needed. I began redoing the amps and found it was a hobby that filled my retirement days. I also have 5 or 6 Super 8mm, both silent and sound. I don't have the room to display all the projectors and it is a waste to have them closed up sitting on shelves. Projectors should be used. That's another reason I am selling some. The purpose of collecting is more "to have" and not necessarily "to use". People collect all manner of things, salt and pepper shakers, knives etc. They certainly don't use all of them. They just like to have them for some reason or another.

[ January 13, 2016, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 13, 2016 11:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply Barry.
I can certainly understand the appeal of just having some of our superb machines as decor, but seems such a waste to me if they work well, beautiful though many are to look at.

If you enjoy repairing and restoring these items to their prime, I fully understand that appeal, but then for someone like myself, I'd be chomping at the bit to get some film through it.

You're absolutely correct about collectors of anything though Barry.
To many it's simply about just owning something rather than it having any serviceable use to them.

--------------------

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2016 07:23 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing like threading up an old projector that I have restored mechanically with an amp I have recapped, and hearing wonderful sound come from the speakers. However, like I indicated earlier, they are going to waste sitting on my shelf. I enjoy placing them with folks that will use them.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2016 11:10 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since film projectors have fascinated me since I was 5, I never refuse any film projector that comes my way.

Nikolay Kravchenko
Junior

- posted January 16, 2016 08:32 PM      Profile for Nikolay Kravchenko   Email Nikolay Kravchenko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have thirteen 35mm projectors,nineteen 16mm projectors and three projectors 8 / super 8 mm. All projectors russian, only two foreign - Bolex S321 and Sankyo Sound 600.Bolex S321 is very good film projector, but in Russia is impossible to buy a DFT 1000W projector lamps,so I use it rarely.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC