8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm & 8mm can nicely co-habitate (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 16mm & 8mm can nicely co-habitate
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8mm Forum is obviously focused towards 8mm collectors, however for me film is film ... in any gauge. I really don't like the idea of compartmentalizing my film watching. There are pros and cons to each format ... but when you get down to it ... it's the enjoyment of watching images projected through film that we all enjoy. What's the big deal? I have hundreds of digital movies that I have collected over the years... but there's something about projecting film that just makes watching more fun no matter what the film format.

I don't see a problem with 16mm and 8mm cohabiting. Here is my permanent setup. Love my Elmo 16CL (Channel loads rule!!) and my Elmo ST1200HD (except for Andrew...who doesn't like the 1200 [Smile] )

-

Storage space of course is a big consideration ... 16mm reels are much larger and can be heavy. However I have a small 20 film collection that just takes up a couple shelves in my kitchen closet.

-

My 8mm collection is divided between two book cases.

-

I pick and choose carefully movies in both formats that I enjoy watching over and over again. I don't just buy movies to collect them ... I watch them. I have more 8mm film reels... but the majority are shorts and digests (I have a couple of features). All of my 16mm prints are feature films.

...AND I don't want to leave out my small reel 9.5 collection which fits into a couple of shallow boxes [Smile]

-

[ February 15, 2016, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 15, 2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a lovely set up there Janice, no doubting that, very tidy all round and what shines through all of your photographs, is just how well cared for and cherished, your projectors and films are in your hands.

For me, it's always been Super 8mm since discovering it.
It gives me the creativity I like without any limitations given my modest screen size in the home.
I also like the refinement that the machines I use bring to the whole projecting experience.

I do however, fully understand that if your love of Film is highly diverse in content, you really need to be looking at using at least two gauges assuming it is FILM you want to project to satisfy your screening needs.

I've always been happy to view more recent titles and films that cannot be found on 8mm by using a digital projector with Blu Ray movies, but again, I realize for many other people, this just isn't a substitute for the real thing.

I think if I had what you have with your large outdoor screening facilities, I would definitely like to see just how good the bigger gauge can look on those larger screens.
For me and my screen size plus storage space, anything larger than Super 8mm feature films would almost certainly lead me straight to the divorce courts! [Big Grin] [Wink]

I show a lot of my films late on at night being a shift worker. If my wife could hear any of my projectors while she was trying to sleep early when in work the next day,
The game would be up for me I'm afraid.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 15, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always compare the different gauges to different sized tools: each has its intended use and is best used for them.

I defy you to break up concrete with a claw hammer or drive a ten-penny nail into a plaster wall with a sledge hammer.

-neither is inherently better, just specialized.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post Janice and I fully agree!I'm currently concentrating on 16 mm right now but I'm planning on running a few Super-8 shorts later today.Regular-8 / Super-8 was my first love as far as film was concerned.My Copal & Bell & Howell Super-8 projectors reside proudly on bookcases in the basement.My 16 mm Kodak machines stay parked on a cart nearby.I'm dealing with severe back pain currently and my cart (bought for under $40 at Harbor Freight) does a great job of allowing me to move my heavier 16 mm machines about with ease.
I really like the way you have your films stored.I'm using a small table to stack my 16 mm films on which in turn are kept in white pizza boxes.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2016 03:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to pull back the camera so you could see I have my film projectors cohabiting with a digital projector also. The digital allows me to also project TV...DVD's...and streaming video onto my big screen. Oh...and that's a massage chair on the right. It works for me [Smile]

-

[ February 15, 2016, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 15, 2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's lovely Janice, just perfect for the best of ALL worlds! [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kenneth Horan
Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Kenneth Horan   Email Kenneth Horan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful setup, Janice. I've been in film collecting since I was 13 (8mm) and 16 (16mm). I have a similar setup in my living room/home theatre except my digital projector in mounted on the ceiling and my flat panel set mounted on the wall. I keep my films in a small room which I keep in the 60's. I use a small window air conditioner to maintain a cool temperature on warm days. Most of the time I don't need to run it. I love film collecting and watch my films often.

The photo shows my Elmo 16CL Xenon Deluxe 16mm projector.

-

--------------------
Ken Horan

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 15, 2016 06:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome projector Kenneth!!!

I would like to get my digital projector mounted up high...but because of the screen I'm using it has to project from below. I use to have a Sony projection TV (circa. 1979). I had the TV hauled away a couple of years ago, but kept the screen. It really is the perfect size for my cine room and the picture is very bright even when not totally dark.

-

[ February 15, 2016, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 15, 2016 07:32 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said it before and I will say it again.....Janice you are the BOMB!!!! [Wink]

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2016 02:31 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a fantastic setup. It's great to have the multiple gauges - each era of projector has a very different feel, and you get a huge choice of content with the different gauges. I have 9.5, 16, 28 and silent 35 for this reason - the early films I'm particularly into are scattered across the gauges. Wish I had a permanent setup like yours though!

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2016 09:37 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice
Lovely set up but - Where's your 9.5 projector??

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait,

there's such a gauge as 28mm? I guess I still have a lot to learn then [Smile] !!!

Best,
Elyas

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2016 12:05 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once upon a time gauge wars raged and snidey comments were thrown like hand grenades across the celuloid boundaries, but most of the protagonists have long since gone to dvd or heaven. I run 16mm, Super 8 (mostly public shows as often as possible=I have a loyal following) and, digital projection. I've just bought an Epson TW92000 and the pictures are fabulous. I enjoy all I've got and hope that all my fellow collectors do the same. It's great that we have the choice.

--------------------
Dave

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 16, 2016 03:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here! Here! Dave!... The variety of choices in media is growing all the time. We just need to take advantage of it.

@Terry...you're right...I shouldn't have left out my "Baby" [Smile] Unfortunately Pathe' Baby with a 10W lamp only has about a 3 foot throw...difficult to put in the mix with the other projectors at 10ft and 15ft [Frown]

-

--------------------
Janice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2016 04:07 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Elyas there are or were many film gauges over the years,many simply disappeared when that gauge failed.And it left the "popular" gauges we see today :-)

https://wichm.home.xs4all.nl/filmsize.html

That website shows what there was.

Interesting discovering stuff about film that isn't commonly known :-)

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 16, 2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the web link Clinton....I didn't have a clue that there have been so many different gauges over the years...very interesting.

--------------------
Janice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 02:44 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elyas, 28mm was the first gauge for showing in the home, and predates 9.5mm by ten years and 16mm by eleven. Love your Baby, Janice! Amazing to see the decades spanned by those three machines side by side.

Dino Everett is able to also show 3mm, 17.5mm and 22mm, making 28mm look fairly mainstream by comparison!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 17, 2016 03:12 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent photos Janice, its what this hobby is all about [Smile]

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 04:02 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3mm?

--------------------
Dave

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2016 04:06 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 3mm! Developed for NASA use. Here's more info:

http://www.cinerdistan.co.uk/3_2mm.htm

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 09:17 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, unfortunately the link doesn't work. Thanks for the info of something I'd never come across.

--------------------
Dave

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doh! Try this:

http://cinerdistan.com/2-uncategorised/563-3-2mm-2

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice set up you have there Janice. I see you have a health rider in the background now you can get your exercise in and watch a film at the same time!

I have the same problem with my rear projector and would like to mount it on the ceiling as well.

Thanks for posting your pictures!

RS

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2016 02:20 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting topic Janice. Like yourself my home cinema "The Retro Roxy" has provision for screening 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm and 16mm sound and silent. as well as digital projection of VHS, Laserdisc. and DVD. The 9.5mm gauge was my first love and probably still is as I more or less grew up with it. I am probably a sentimental old whatsit!. My largest collection is on this gauge, largely amassed when people jumped on the Super 8 bandwaggon and got rid of their 9.5 stuff at give away prices. My 16mm collection is very small and no feature films. The 8mm collection is slightly larger consisting mainly of cartoons and condensed 2 or 3 reelers. A few are in widescreen. I am not particularly computer literate enough to be able to upload a picture. I find them very frustrating with the constant upgrading and changes. The learning curve is too steep at my age! I confesss to having a massive collection of films on VHS and DVD but this is only because I can pick them up at pocket money prices. I could never afford the price of a 16mm or Super 8 feature length film. I probably enjoy using the cine projectors more because they do require more hands on skills. Ken Finch. [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 18, 2016 07:39 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Ken...I'd be happy to post any pics for you if you can email them to me. It sounds like you have an interesting setup.

@Roger...You discovered that my cine room is also a multi-purpose area [Roll Eyes] In the other corner of the room I have my exercise equipment ... vintage of course. [Cool]

-

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC