8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » 16MM Magnetic sound "music video"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16MM Magnetic sound "music video"
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody!

I just thought that I would put up a listing for all of you 16MM collectors on this little "curio" (in my opinion) of an auction. It is a magnetic sound 16MM print! I have no 16MM projector, magnetic sound or otherwise, to test this print, so I can't tell you if it's mono or stereo, (being that it's magnetic sound, it could well be stereo!), I do know, because of the leader, that it's the song "Strangers in the Night", which was a hit for Frank Sinatra, but being that it only has the title and not the artist, I can't say that for sure. The "video" is of a lovely couple, walking through a large flower garden, all "lovey dovey". (Hey! being that it is "Stranger in the NIGHT" ... you'd think that they would shoot the film at night, hmmm?)

The color is largely faded, with just a little color left, but the selling point of this is the magnetic soundtrack, in my opinion, (no, it doesn't also have a optical soundtrack).

Please note that I do not have any 16MM reels, so this, approximately 100 or so foot film, (complete leader from beginning to end), is on a 16Mm plastic core.

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/322279731674?

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The song is by Ricardo, this is a Scopitone of "Strangers in the Night". All of the Scopitone music from European countries were printed on Eastman, the ones shot in the US were mostly Technicolor. They are Hi-Fi but, not stereo. His impression of Sinatra is spot on.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2016 12:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald! You are so totally cool! On monday, I'll edit my auction to introduce the new info (can't do it today, i gotta go!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were used in commercial viewers that patrons would put a coin in and then watch the film on the screen. Sorta like a juke box but for films. They were only a couple of minutes in length. The advent of television did them in. I have several that I bought just to test the magnetic capability of my opt/mag projectors.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 03, 2016 04:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This video shows a scopitone machine :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kenBAGOF-g

This one shows the Inside :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQSZ2DwbW8

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2018 03:33 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who, on the forum, has 16mm magnetic films from Scopitone?
I would need to recover the audio of one that I have.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 19, 2018 05:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some French scopitones.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2018 01:49 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom, do you have "El Gato Montes"?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 20, 2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, sorry, Luigi.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2018 12:06 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks anyway, Dom, I'm looking for it online.
I used this Scopitone to try the rec function of my projector, it has deleted points, I would like to record the track again. [Smile]

What Scopitone do you have?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 21, 2018 01:19 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mainly French songs and one "sketch" but several sections of the soundtrack disappeared.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2018 01:42 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I understand, 16mm movies from jukeboxes are often ruined, mine also on the frame, at opening of film, as well as on the magnetic strip.
Fortunately, the magnetic strip is still re-applicable, obviously saving the audio track first.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 21, 2018 03:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi - The one you're looking for seems to be on sale here for a very reasonable price. If you don't buy it, I might be tempted!

As a Scopitione collector, I must say that overall, I find the films are in better condition than I'd have imagined. In some case that's down to them never having been played in a Scopitone player, but I get the impression that if the players were well-maintained, the films could survive multiple plays without serious wear.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 03:34 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information, Adrian, but I don't want buy back the full movie for some points where the audio is missing on mine version.
But, if you buy it, then you could help me, with extracting the audio track (maybe taking it to PC for outup of your projector) and then pass it to me.
With this metodh I could fix the problem of sound holes. [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 01:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi - No problem but I regret I somehow forgot to add the link to my previous message, do here it is: http://www.bd-cine.com/fiche.php?id=1422 I'll consider buying the film although I have no idea what the song sounds like! However, I don't at present have a clue regarding how to transfer sound to a PC, although it's a skill I might find useful one day!

Anyone curious about Scopitones might like to see (via the link above) the large selection offered by this shop. They are mostly ones produced in France, which is not surprising as the shop is in Paris.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 02:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, I don't believe it's a song (Can Luigi confirm ?). It seems to be music only. This scopitone is not on YouTube but to have an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osdg6ibxnWU

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2018 07:38 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's as Dom says, it's just music, no voice.
An arrangement a little different from that on Youtube. I had looked on internet, but I found always musics a bit 'different from that of my 16mm.
I have seen that there are LPs, audio cassettes, etc. with the author and the name of my music track, I think it comes from there.

Adrian, it's possible that the one in the advertisement that you post is "MY" film. [Smile] I bought it own from BD, so either it has more copies or forgot to update the page (I got it on its eBay account).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC